News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

How not to market golf course
« on: December 17, 2009, 06:02:04 PM »
Just saw this on a local golf course website (not mine!) that's looking for new members:
"Nestled in the heart of Chester County, *******  has provided golfers at all levels with some of the most prestigious holes in the area. "

That has to to be one of the goofiest things I've ever read - "prestigious holes in the area"???  Who writes this stuff?

What other marketing SNAFUs have you seen?

Jeff_Brauer

Re: How not to market golf course
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »
Free golf with the purchase of a $34 hot dog.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 06:09:22 PM »
Jeff - if you knew the place, you'd know you weren't that far off.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:12:03 PM »
Substitute greatest in place of most prestigeous and is probaby one of the most common lines. Prestigeous is just the wrong word.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 06:18:07 PM »
The most thankless job in the world -- aside from flacking for Tiger Woods, now -- is trying to come up with an original way of favorably describing a golf course. There isn't an adjective you can think of that hasn't been beaten to death by the golf course copywriters.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »
Free golf with the purchase of a $34 hot dog.....

Thats actually pretty funny.

Ron Farris

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »
The could say it is the "Best golf course of its kind".  The kind that s.................

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:48:46 PM »
A 'unique experience ' is another well used waffleworder.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
This is a cut and paste from the course description on the club website of a club to which I used to belong.  The folks that wrote this consider OB on every hole to actually be a GOOD thing. 

"Featuring undulating greens, tee shots that you must pay attention to (out of bounds on every hole), and challenging approach shots."

(It is actually even worse than this; there is OB on both sides of 9 of the holes.  Not sure why they didn't choose to advertise that fact; my best guess is that is was just space limitations.  If some OB is good, then more OB is better, right?  Right?)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:06:57 PM »
I'd love if somebody wrote something like, "We're not the best, but we all enjoy the club tremendously.  We're a family and we'd love to have you".

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 10:44:20 PM »
it is better than stating the yardage which is the highest used adjective to describe a golf course
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 10:52:04 PM »
Bushwood National

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:53:38 PM »
One more: We honor the games history and traditions.Enjoy our new fleet of carts .

JSPayne

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:55:45 PM »
Not an actual advertisement, but our course charges a bundled rate of $47 on the weekday for golf including a cart. There's a local sportswriter that doesn't like the fact that we don't have a seperate walking-only rate that's lower (which to be honest I agree with as I enjoy walking). But to support the company I like to tell customers now, "We do have a walking rate....it's $47. The cart is free!"  ;D

They should have hired me to market it before they made the mistake of calling it a "bundled rate!" We'd probably get alot more business if we advertised that you can use our carts for free!
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back