News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

1966 Crosby Clambake
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:14:30 AM »
Came across this today , and thought it was worth passing on .......

http://sloblogs.thetribunenews.com/slovault/2009/01/09/1966-25th-annual-crosby-clambake/

Jordan Wall

Re: 1966 Crosby Clambake
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 02:22:24 AM »
That first picture is amazing.  Thank you for sharing!

Also, #6 was much tighter.  Interesting!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:41:46 AM »
In the first pic, it looks like Lema is hitting before the green is clear.  I've heard of people playing the hole that way.

Thanks for posting these.

John Keenan

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:32:51 AM »
 On the photo of the putting green interesting that I cannot see a rope. Seems the patrons were not held back as they are today. When did the ropes appear?  The photo is much more like an armature event today than a PGA tournament.

Great photos thanks for posting

John 
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »
Great photies, Brian!
Is that Joey Bishop in the black hat in the background of the Dino pic?
Pretty sure I can see a John Deere cap there too..... ;)
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:37:16 PM »
When did they stop using CPC for the Clambake?

And, naturally, I have to know; did they ever really have a Clambake?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 01:25:55 PM »

Chuck,

I thought it was because of the new PGA policy on the tour that every course used must not have discriminatory membership policies.

But I may be mistaken, perhaps its short-ish length was the issue.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 02:03:03 PM »

Chuck,

I thought it was because of the new PGA policy on the tour that every course used must not have discriminatory membership policies.

But I may be mistaken, perhaps its short-ish length was the issue.

Since I asked the question, Kalen, I am probably not in a good position to pre-judge the answer, but I do NOT think that CPC's departure from the Crosby rota had anything to do with the Club's membership policies.  I think CPC's tournament departure pre-dated the Shoal Creek controversy, and all similar discussions, by years... ?

My presumption had been that CPC simply wanted to return to more privacy, and the availability of other new Pebble-are courses simply made it possible to go elsewhere.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »
Kalen, I have no idea why I just didn't check Wikipedia, or do a similar search earlier...

Wikipedia says you are correct:

"In 1967, Spyglass Hill replaced Monterey Peninsula Country Club as the third course (with the exception of 1977, when it returned to MPCC). In 1991, Cypress Point Club was dropped by the PGA Tour because it would not admit a black member, and was replaced as a tournament venue by Poppy Hills Golf Course, a move that finalized the current roster of tournament venues. In 2010, Monterey Peninsula Country Club will replace Poppy Hills."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »

Jordan, do you think some of those lone evergreens have come down over the years?  That did strike me too as a very wide fairway once past the fairway bunker.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »

Jordan, do you think some of those lone evergreens have come down over the years?  That did strike me too as a very wide fairway once past the fairway bunker.

Bill,

Most definitely.  I don't recall ever seeing the evergreen to the left of the fairway.

To the right of the fairway, most of the trees have been cleared away.  Now there are several tiny Evergreens I believe the club has planted, but it is nothing like that picture.  It really is quite a bit different.

Also, its a wonder some of the people in the right of the picture aren't in the greenside bunker. 

Cheers,
Jordan

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 11:32:41 PM »
CPC would qualify under PGA requirements.... Condoleezza Rice is a member.

Bob

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 02:00:05 AM »
Bob, she must be laying low in terms of GHIN, or else she only recently joined...this is the only membership listed for her:

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 10:57:30 AM »
Here a couple of pics from behind #6 green....compliments of Tim Bert.  While it certainly seems wider now, its a bit more narrow than I recall.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:04:37 AM by Kalen Braley »

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »
Here a couple of pics from behind #6 green....compliments of Tim Bert.  While it certainly seems wider now, its a bit more narrow than I recall.

I don't know, because of the type of trees or because of how they grow or whatever, the newer pic looks more narrow to me down the left treeline (on the left as we see it).  That said, the remarkable thing is there doesn't appear to be any rough in that old photo - or is it a trick of the eye?

Thanks for posting these cool pix!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
Kevin,

Trust me.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »
That said, the remarkable thing is there doesn't appear to be any rough in that old photo - or is it a trick of the eye?

The Valley Club of Montecito (Mackenzie same time frame) has recently restored a lot of their course to that same cool look - almost wall to wall tightly cut fairway grass in some areas.  It is interesting to have so many options for shots.  Reading Mackenzie and his disdain for rough and searching for golf balls, you can see how this is the look he favored.  Still there at Cypress Point in 1966, now restored at the Valley Club.  I think the Good Dr would be pleased.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
What suprises me is that looking at the modern photos you appear to beable to see the drainage lines under the greens.

Sean,

the older pic look alot cooler with no rough. 

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:25 PM »
Best I have from this year.  It's definitely more open on the right than the older photos.  On the contrary, the left side of the fairway actually seems to be more open in the older photo.  Go figure.

From Behind:

From up front:

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 03:25:28 PM »
Notice in the older picture of Cypress the left of the back left bunkers.  It almost seems to strech in front of the seventeenth tee.  It looks really, really cool.

Does anyone know when this changed?

I have to admit I love the older look of the hole, without the iceplant seperating the fairway from the cliff.

Either way, I can never tire of looking at photos from this hole.  It is one of the most magical spots in golf. 

Cheers,
Jordan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back