News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

What's the next big architecture project
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »
Ok folks,

now that the dust has settled a bit (i'm talking economy here), where's the next high point for golf course architecture.

courses have been built all over the world, in places more remote than the moon almost, new markets are emerging in Asia.

where are we going from here?, the next big architecture project doesn't necessarily mean farther, more expensive or more extravagant....

here's some idea:
1) turning an world class course in North America in a low water and ecological course
2) a top 50 course in China
3) a series of low fee public courses near big cities
4) a great course in Quebec !!!!

Derek Dirksen

Re: What's the next big architecture project
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:06:54 PM »
You mention a top 50 course in China.  With Coore-Crenshaw doing their 1st course in China right now it will be interesting to see how the Chinese take to it.  That will be a big change from the normal courses that are built in Asia. 

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »
What do you mean by a "low water" course? Like in the desert where irrigation water is limited or a Tidewater area like on the coast? Because I really think you will struggle to make a really world class course in a tidewater area because there are so many marsh areas there are large chunks of the property that can't be used because of legal restrictions. That makes the routing really odd. Like Riverfront works well as a golf course, but with the marsh areas cutting into the property it makes the walk/ride between some of the holes pretty long and that would most likely detract from any 'rating' of the course.

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »
 8) ;D :D

The "Donald's"   project has to  be at the top of many lists ....great site ...lots of controversy ...pretty exciting stuff coming in Scotland ...I hope !

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:43:07 PM »
You mention a top 50 course in China.  With Coore-Crenshaw doing their 1st course in China right now it will be interesting to see how the Chinese take to it.  That will be a big change from the normal courses that are built in Asia. 

And Renaissance, GCAs other favorite firm, is also building in China now, along with just about everyone other major player in the golf design business. Surely, someone will produce something world class.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 05:15:47 PM »
How about this?

The de-Fazioization of Augusta National?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 07:20:26 PM »
Kyle:

Our project in Hainan Island has not yet broken ground.  Hopefully it will happen first quarter 2010.

Phillippe:

The next big thing is in Florida, I think.  The next really big thing will be in China.

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 07:54:21 PM »
Kyle:

Our project in Hainan Island has not yet broken ground.  Hopefully it will happen first quarter 2010.

Phillippe:

The next big thing is in Florida, I think.  The next really big thing will be in China.

You keep teasing us w/ this Florida thing you're doing.  Details, Tom, Details. ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 06:37:53 AM »
JC:  Gotta get the client to sign on the dotted line first.  But I'm headed back there at the end of next week and maybe we'll have a deal in place after that.

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »
JC:  Gotta get the client to sign on the dotted line first.  But I'm headed back there at the end of next week and maybe we'll have a deal in place after that.

Here's hoping the client signs and we can finally say, down here in the sunshine state, "I'm on a Doak."
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 11:08:08 PM »

Is it possible it will be in the Florida Sand Belt?

As you can see by my tagline from Melvyn, I am not interested in playing the typical Florida layout.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 11:09:43 PM »
1) turning an world class course in North America in a low water and ecological course

Did we not see a report on here about Crystal Downs going "low water'?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:21:08 PM »

Where was that?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 11:57:14 AM »

Where was that?

One of the threads probably more than a year ago.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 01:38:29 PM »
You could not get a more "low-water" course than Fishers Island.  Or Maidstone.

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 04:38:54 PM »
You could not get a more "low-water" course than Fishers Island.  Or Maidstone.

How low water could one go at Crystal Downs?  Last I played there was beginning of August, to me it was quite lush.  Then again, it had rained all morning.  Thoughts?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 06:10:49 AM »
JC:  Twenty years ago Crystal Downs used to have single-row fairway irrigation, and in the edges of the wider fairways it was fescue -- that's one of the reasons we thought it would work at High Pointe.  Now they've got more fairway irrigation, and it's nearly all poa annua.  They are not likely to turn the water off in the fairways.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 06:41:43 AM »
Tom, is there anything new to report on the restoration project at Shawnee?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 08:27:26 AM »
Tom, is there anything new to report on the restoration project at Shawnee?

Nothing new.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »

Here's hoping the client signs and we can finally say, down here in the sunshine state, "I'm on a Doak."

Aren't you supposed to sing it instead of say it?

I can't wait...

Tom is mum the word on the general location in Florida?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »
JC:  Twenty years ago Crystal Downs used to have single-row fairway irrigation, and in the edges of the wider fairways it was fescue -- that's one of the reasons we thought it would work at High Pointe.  Now they've got more fairway irrigation, and it's nearly all poa annua.  They are not likely to turn the water off in the fairways.

Interesting.  I certainly don't mean to imply that the course is not well maintained because it is.  I do think, however, that a different maintenance philosophy could really take advantage of the supreme architecture.

George Freeman

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »

Interesting.  I certainly don't mean to imply that the course is not well maintained because it is.  I do think, however, that a different maintenance philosophy could really take advantage of the supreme architecture.

JC:

Ala the Kingsley Club?  ;)
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »

JC:

Ala the Kingsley Club?  ;)

Nah.  That Lucas guy is a hack ;)

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »
Tom,

Any word from FL?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 08:43:06 PM »
Jonathan:

I just spent all day today with Bill Coore [on his birthday!] and our client on site.  Everything is looking good out there, and the contract seems to be a done deal.  Now we've just got to figure out who builds which holes, and be patient for probably 6-8 months of engineering and permitting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back