News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Peterson

Re: How to create strategic interest on narrow golf holes?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »
Slag,

The fairway is quite narrow the entire way, max of maybe 25-30 yards.  If you play at the yellow tree on the right side of the fairway in the the first picture, you could only hit it about 190 to stay in the fairway without working it considerably.  From there you could have a clear shot, but there is little room for error.  A drive that is off by a few yards could have trees blocking the way on the right.  To go way right, you may have a direct line, but you could only hit it 140-150 off the tee, and could then have up to 200 in.  If it comes up a little short and on the left, there could be overhanging limbs to deal with (there are significant slopes in the fairway pushing the ball to the right).  Anything on the sidehill is nearly impossible.  My playing partner hit what we thought was a good tee ball and was about 10 ft from the fairway on the hill.  The ball was at about chest level in thick rough. 

Can a hole be strategic for one type of player, but just penal for another?  A player with a decent amount of consistent control will not have too much difficulty in negotiating the tee shot, and will need to think about how to attack the green.  It is severely sloped, and a miss will almost guarantee bogey by either an impossible chip or three putt.  I would not be surprised to hear horror stories about 3+ putts on the green.  Some pins would be very scary.  For a player without a lot of accuracy, the hole is just difficult.  A miss off the tee could bring 6+ into the equation.

Cristian

Re: How to create strategic interest on narrow golf holes?
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:50 PM »
It looks like a very interesting hole, although I think this is largely due to the half-pipe (or quarter-pipe) nature of the fairway which increases the virtual width somewhat.

Great example but perhaps hard to copy on most sites...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back