News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Ohlendorf

Flossmoor CC Named Golf Magazine's 2009 Renovation of the Year
« on: December 06, 2009, 06:09:43 PM »
This was posted on-line yesterday.

http://www.golf.com/golf/courses_travel/article/0,28136,1945822,00.html

My congratulations to architect Ray Hearn, Greens Chair Mark Egge, and Superintendent Bob Lively on a job well done!

Greg

PThomas

Re: Flossmoor CC Named Golf Magazine's 2009 Renovation of the Year
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »
it is a job well done Greg...esp those greens!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 07:15:06 PM »
What a tremendous change in the look and playability of a course! I shall be spending the day at Flossmoor CC on this Tuesday. Pity it will be too cold for golf.  FCC is now one of the favorite sporty clubs in the Chicago area-very tough stretch of holes from 14 thru 17. Hope they continue their fine level of maintenance as well.                   Jack

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
Paul,

Thanks and too bad we now have to wait months to play again up here in the midwest!

Jack,

Will you be at the Evans event? I will as well and will look you up.

Greg

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 07:25:36 PM »
Greg,  I will indeed be at the Evans selection meeting Tuesday. Please look for me -I will probably be sitting with Pete Bozzo or some of my fellow Beverly contingent. Thanks for hosting us on this most important of days.   Wish you well,   Jack

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »
Greg, congrats to all!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 08:18:12 AM »
Big congrats on the award!
H.P.S.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 08:28:41 AM »
Greg,

Congratuations to you all this is fabulous news and from what I saw well deserved.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 08:33:08 AM »
Greg:

Congrats on a well-deserved honor. As devoted GCA readers may remember, Greg helped organize a GCA-rater outing at Flossmoor this summer, which saw the course in fine shape, esp. with wonderful fast and firm conditions.

Here's a photo tour from that outing:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41166.0/

tlavin

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 09:39:29 AM »
Congratulations to all, but especially to Ray Hearn.  This renovation of a hidden gem of a golf course should really put him on the gca map.  It is an audacious piece of work, to say the least.  In my mind, it is the most eye-popping, before-and-after restoration I've ever seen.  Flossmoor exemplifies the "great bones" reference to old golf courses that have sort of lost their way, whether casually through a maintenance meld that dumbs down the golf course, thoughtless bunker work or the all-too-present overplanting of trees.  Flossmoor suffered for decades (not that a lot of us thought about it, Bunky) because of the tree and bunker issue.

The Flossmoor success story, like many others, is also a tribute to the dogged work of a Grounds Chairman (Mark Egge) who educated himself (largely through the generous Brad Klein) and then passed it on to the membership in a time consuming fashion.  It is also largely attributable to a Grounds Superintendent, Bob Lively, who is nothing short of spectacular.  The greens at Flossmoor are unique in the Chicago district, full of internal contour with beguiling and deceptive side to side slope, but before Bob took the job, the greens only ran around 8 on the Stimpmeter on a regular basis.  It is the stuff of Flossmoor lore that Lively got the job for his answer to the question asking about his philosophy on greens management.  He reportedly said, "I don't even like the word, 'green'.  They can be any color they need to be as long as they are fast and firm."  THAT is my kind of super.

The third guy who deserves praise has already gotten plenty of it, but here's another shout-out to Greg Ohlendorf who used his considerable social skills to put everybody together.  This is a great day in the South Suburbs of Chicagoland.  I'm bringing a bottle or two to Flossmoor tomorrow, which we'll drink after sending a dozen or so caddies to college on a Chick Evans Scholarship.  It was 100 years ago, after all, that Chick Evans won his first tournament.  At Flossmoor, no less.

What goes around, comes around.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:41:22 AM by Terry Lavin »

Ari Techner

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »
Congratulations Greg and everyone at Flossmoor!  Well deserved recognition from what I could see. 

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »
Thanks to all...kind words indeed. Hearn, Lively, and Egge were a force to be dealt with, especially as the project was completed over a three year period. It was also the way we could afford to do the work in these difficult economic times. That also allowed plenty of time for second guessing for armchair architects...not that we would know anything about that around here (myself included!!). That strategy though let the course to stay open almost all of the time, with only a hole or two closed at any one time. Country Golf, our contractor, was great to work with as well.

Can't wait to show it off to more of the group next season.

Cheers!

Greg

Chris Moore

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
I went to the Club's website and looked at the schematics of the holes.  Looks like great fun.  I was puzzled by this description of the 1st hole ("Road"), which is clearly a dogleg right: 

"The name "Road" was suggested by the best known hole in golf - the 17th at St. Andrews, Scotland.  The name there refers to the railroad that parallels one side of the hole, which doglegs right.  Similarly, Western Avenue parallels the left side of Flossmoor's opening hole, also a dogleg left."

Also, I always thought that the Road Hole at TOC was named for the road running behind the green, not the railway off to the right. 

Chris Flamion

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
Great to see an old club get some commendations for such a huge amount of work that got done.  I didn't know that the course stayed open for most of the renovation work, that is simply astounding.

SL_Solow

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »
I enjoyed the changes.  Tom Lively is one of the truly oustanding greenkeepers in our area.  He manages the greens at Flossmoor spectacularly well with enough firmness and speed to create a true challenge while keeping the poa alive and healthy.  They are lucky to have him.  I suspect the ability to stay open during the work can be credited in large member to Tom and his crew aling with Ray Hearn.

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »
Following up on my previous post, I'd urge anyone on the board who has the chance to play Flossmoor to do so, if only to see those wonderful greens. It's my impression that Flossmoor flies somewhat below the radar in an obviously golf-rich community, but it ought to be a high priority if you're afforded the opportunity. I've had the chance to view some before-and-after pictures of the course, and the tree-clearance efforts alone have dramatically changed the look of the course. But the greens at Flossmoor are special; very simple ovals, for the most part, and not very large (with a few exceptions), but subtlely contoured, quite firm, and pretty darn quick (when I played in mid-summer). Sometimes the best renovation work is recognizing when to leave well enough alone; Flossmoor's greens are terrific in their simplicity.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »
Just a quick point of correction. Tom Lively is Bob's brother and is currently working at the new TPC San Antonio project. Bob is the super at Flossmoor.

Greg

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back