News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Grove Park Inn
« on: December 03, 2009, 12:31:41 PM »

A awesome golf/spa gettaway. Park with Ross redo course is short but sweet. 50,000 sq foot spa secound to none.

Took MOM to babY sit.

But couldn't keep her away from the booze.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

Re: Grove Park Inn
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:58:05 PM »
Due to the absence of bright orange, we know you didn't play golf. One must only assume that you spent quality time with the pedicurist.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Billsteele

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »
Anthony-Is the one photo to show off the woman in red or to preview future Dixie Cup outfits?

P.S. Given her offspring, I do not begrudge Mom the occasional drink. In fact, if I ever meet her, I'll buy her a round.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 02:50:01 PM »
Anthony-Is the one photo to show off the woman in red or to preview future Dixie Cup outfits?

P.S. Given her offspring, I do not begrudge Mom the occasional drink. In fact, if I ever meet her, I'll buy her a round.

Bill,

That is Bill McBride and Brent Hutto standing beside the woman in red. MOM's all for a free drink...you ought to see her on the dance floor.

Anthony

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:59:42 PM »
That is Bill McBride and Brent Hutto standing beside the woman in red.

And if you can't tell from the photo, I was catching a nasty draft up-kilt at the moment. When the doors on both sides of the Great Hall are open, the breeze can get quite brisk. Talk about "shrinkage", ye gods!

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:06:28 AM »
Here is an old thread on this course.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,18432.0/

Brian Noser

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:42:29 AM »
Looks a little Chilly!! I played there last year for a certain GCAers wedding, it was a fun little course. I hit the ball pretty well so that made it much more fun, but there is some pretty good stuff out there. I did not take any pics, the hotel and spa did look very nice we did not stay there though.

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »
Did you really play with ice in the fountain and snow on the ground? You're a real hard ass.

Chris Buie

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 11:59:30 AM »
F. Scott Fitzgerald (the Great Gatsby himself) used to stay at the Grove Park often.

rjsimper

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:02:29 AM »
As Noser mentioned, Grove Park was the site of my wedding golf outing. Great course for an occasion like that...beautiful setting, not overly difficult.

Goofy 18th hole, though.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
Played Grove Park Inn last week, so I thought I would post a few pictures.  Two quick things:

I loved the signs on the course.  Lots of little tidbits of info.  The best ones, however, where the ones that let you know that if you hit your tee shot OB, there may be kids playing there!  As if I weren't nervous enough trying to hit a tee shot that requires a 205 yard into the wind carry over water and OB right, now I have to be sure not kill a kid!

The second thing I noticed was that the yardages of many holes were plain wrong. My skycaddie had the yardage on many holes as being 50ish yards shorter than on the scorecard. I then checked the yardages on Google Earth and it confirmed that the scorecard yardages are wrong.  Does anybody have anybody information on this?  I have never encountered this before.

Anyway, here are a few more photos:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:36:00 PM by Mark Saltzman »

john_stiles

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »

By the way,  Anthony taught John Mayhugh everything he knows about taking pictures of signs.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 02:18:35 PM »
Anthony,

You must have had quite an impact on the folks in Asheville as it seems they have altered one of their plaques at the Grove Park Inn to commemorate your visit:

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Okula

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 02:52:25 PM »
"There is no such thing as a misplaced bunker."

But what would Ross say about the cart path boulevards running through the course?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back