News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: 100 acres
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »
Houses on golf courses, that's so 2006......
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »
Ally:

No, there are many US architects who insist on a corridor of 400 feet wide (133 yards) if there are to be houses on both sides.  300 feet (100 yards) is sort of the minimum standard, but Nicklaus and Fazio won't take one of those jobs.  (Or maybe they would in 2010!)

Tom, I agree with that... The standards Robin (and I) was talking about would be 120 metres (i.e. 133 yards) in the case where a hole was running between two external boundaries... So the same as you state...

I think Sean is visualising a hole corridor in the middle of a golf course where barriers are less... In the recommendations that Robin states, that would effectively be 60 metres (66 yards) wide...

Still, I think each case should be taken on individual merit...

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »
Sean I misunderstood it as well. 70 yards is my yardstick, though as mentioned angles can hep things, plus we are talking UK..we dont really have houses or cart paths..usually field or woodland. I have just buit one course with 3 holes in 180 yard width...its very squeezed, I have a doube fairway on two of them very rumpled but kept everything visible. Sean one year you will pop down.  :o
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
Tom:

Absolutely, that would be along the lines of the minimum for a single corridor hole between real estate.

I must confess to having designed in a few 160 metre wide single hole corridors on one project, just so I could get some strategic variety into the design.  The developer didn't know any better!  120 metres (130 yards) limits what you can do with the strategy, as you don't have much room to create strong angles of play/offset fairways.  

I'm not going to preach to my American friends about this.  Just looking at an aerial of Palm Springs tells me that you have far more experience of how tight things can be than I have.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
As an aside, I shouldn't be calling them standards... They are recommendations...

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 11:16:04 AM »
Tom:

Absolutely, that would be along the lines of the minimum for a single corridor hole between real estate.

I must confess to having designed in a few 160 metre wide single hole corridors on one project, just so I could get some strategic variety into the design.  The developer didn't know any better!  120 metres (130 yards) limits what you can do with the strategy, as you don't have much room to create strong angles of play/offset fairways.  

I'm not going to preach to my American friends about this.  Just looking at an aerial of Palm Springs tells me that you have far more experience of how tight things can be than I have.

Robin

I see, so this 130 yard business is for boundary holes?  What sort of width is the "standard" for interior holes (holes which don't have boundary issues)?   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 11:18:07 AM »
Kalen,

You'd also need one of these:
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ally Mcintosh

Re: 100 acres New
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »
Tom:

Robin

I see, so this 130 yard business is for boundary holes?  What sort of width is the "standard" for interior holes (holes which don't have boundary issues)?  

Ciao

65 yards Sean... i.e. 130 yards between the centrelines of the hole to the left and the hole to the right... See my sardine analogy above...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:08:18 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 11:21:29 AM »
Kalen,

You'd also need one of these:

Ahh yes...an obvious oversight on my part!!  ;D

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 11:36:09 AM »
Sean:

60m from the centre of one fairway to the centre of a fairway running parallel to it. 
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back