News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Yancey_Beamer

Jim Urbina in Wall Street Journal
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
Saturday-Sunday,November 28-29,Wall Street Journal
Golf Journal/John Paul Newport
Cameras in the Kingdom
"Golf in the Kingdom" with Jim Urbina as the starter. Great read!

RJ_Daley

Re: Jim Urbina in Wall Street Journal
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »
Thanks Yancey, I can't seem to get it on-line, will have to go out to buy it... 

Gee, I hope Urbina doesn't drive and Escalade too....  ;) ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »
Here is a link to the article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703499404574557850075424672.html

I don't know when I've been less motivated to see a movie than I was by that article.   :P

As I recall, the book didn't turn me on much either, too much mumbo jumbo.

But I'll bet the backgrounds are really cool so maybe I'll give it a try!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »
The likely summer release is nice timing for Bandon Dunes Resort with Old Macdonald serving as the backdrop. If the producers had only waited a couple of years they could have shot the movie in Scotland and have the trumpster as a backer. :'(

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »
A)  How is Urbina's Scottish accent these days?

B)  What role did Doak get?

C)  If they wanted sex, they could have filmed The Kingdom of Shivas Irons first.

D)  How can you not get WSJ online?  Try again.  The link worked the first time for me.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:05:26 PM »
Newport's articles are always good. 

His discussion of why golf stories have great diffculty in translating to a wider audience is relevant to many issues on this web site.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »
that is friggen awesome and i don't mean the movie...

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:10:22 AM »
David Kidd told me that he auditioned for the film as well.

The book is in my opinion overated written by someone who does not understand Scottish Golf at all and makes it out to be more than it is. All that British golf is a bunch of half cut mates playing a match on a Sunday morning...thats all it is....just a good laugh, having a craich.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:13:03 AM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
B)  I'm not in the movie.

I think they are still fishing around trying to find more backing to get the movie into theaters.  It was filmed on a shoestring ... they managed to round up some A-list actors only because all of them really liked the director and producer and wanted to work with them.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 01:46:21 PM »
Is anyone on this site a member of the  Shivas Irons Society?

If so, what do they do?  What are the benefits of being a  member?  Should I consider joining?

I contacted someone about it a few months ago (Steve Cohen, might have been his name)...we emailed back and forth...and I asked him if there was a chapter in Atlanta or some members I could talk to in order to get questions like the above one mentioned.  He said he would get back to me...and that was the end of it.

I loved the book "GOlf in the Kingdom"...I have this goofy notion that golf is magical and it has had a magical impact on my life.  And I was wondering if this society might bring me in touch with other like minded people.

Any input regarding the subject would be welcome.

Thanks!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »
For those who don't know - the actor beside Jim also played Dennis the Menace.

I met him when I had a few drinks with Jim and Jonathan while at Bandon. He lent me his notebook so I could walk over to Jim and ask for his autograph. Jim didn't see me come in. I walked behind him and kept my head down till he finally figured out who I was and let out a stream of unprintable works.

The image is great.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:00:55 PM by Ian Andrew »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Mac, I'm inclined to advise that you continue to experience the spirituality and the magic, rather than join a group who have to read about it.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 03:21:45 PM »
Adam...

I like it!!!

Thanks!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JC Urbina

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »
Yancey,

I was surprised the day I got the phone call and asked if I was interested.  I mulled it over for a long time and then decided at the last minute to do it.

The morning I showed up to do the part I changed in the Wardrobe trailer and went to the site of the starter house.  A lot of hustle and bustle and then someone grabbed me and showed me where I was supposed to stand.  It seemed like a lot of people telling me what, where and why and I was trying to grasp it all in a very short time period.  While I was waiting for the rest of the actors to show up I stood by the starter shack and looked out over the golf landscape and thought how surreal.  Why me?

What was supposed to take a few hours took a little over 5 hours to complete. Many different camera angles and Mason doing a lot of do overs to make sure it was perfect.  I remember the director (Susan) telling Mason,  that was great let's do it again.  I thought to myself wow were done, she said it was great but what she really meant was will do it over and over till it is better then great. 

If Mike Keiser told me while we were working on Old Macdonald, " Jim that hole looks great'  I wouldn't think to myself,  gee let's blow it up and start over again let's make it better then great.

I wouldn't change a thing and I am glad I got to be a part of that whole scene.  It was cool and I now appreciate the work that goes into every film. What a very professional group of people and the hard work they put into the film I believe will show up when the film is released.

My part was for only a few seconds but to me it seemed like an eternity. 

Steve Lang

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »
 8) Jim, you've a come a long way from an Industriual Arts teacher! I don't remember you mentioning this at Ballyneal with the Colton group that night in late September, did they swear your to secrecy?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 10:08:15 AM »
I'm glad this project went forward.

One of the highlights of my trip to Bandon in April was having dinner with many of the cast and crew for the movie.  The guy playing the lead--Michael--is indeed Dennis the Menace.  Grant Rogers was spending some time with him, trying to teach him the shots needed for links golf.  He seemed genuinly interested in what I had to say about golf and golf courses.  For fans of the book, be assured that Michael Murphy was keeping close watch on the content of the film, so as to match up to his writing.  Listening to Murphy for a few hours that night was an experience in itself.   

Rumor was that many of the "principles" of The Resort were to be in a scene in McKee's Pub.  The director included the names of every architect that had worked at the Resort as an extra in that scene, along with Keiser, Murphy, and some lucky Resort guests.

Norbert P

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Here's a link to the movie's website:

http://www.findshivas.com/html/home.html

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
What was supposed to take a few hours took a little over 5 hours to complete. Many different camera angles and Mason doing a lot of do overs to make sure it was perfect.  I remember the director (Susan) telling Mason,  that was great let's do it again.  I thought to myself wow were done, she said it was great but what she really meant was will do it over and over till it is better then great. 

If Mike Keiser told me while we were working on Old Macdonald, " Jim that hole looks great'  I wouldn't think to myself,  gee let's blow it up and start over again let's make it better then great.

I read somewhere that when Clint Eastwood directs, he typically does most scenes in one or two takes. Guess it's up to the man in charge.

Didn't care for the book, but I'll probably make an effort to see the movie, seeing who and what are in it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back