News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Trump buys Pine Hill in NJ...and sells a lot of memberships
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »
He recently visited there according to Joe Logan:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=2630
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:15:43 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rick Sides

Re: Trump to buy Pine Hill in NJ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:05:52 PM »
I honestly don't know what Trump could do to make it a high end private or public.  I received an offer via e maila few months ago offering no initiation fee.  I would imagine many others also received the offer.  It is a very difficult course and almost impossible to walk.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »
I understand that the asking price has dropped significantly.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Rick Sides

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »
Steve,
Any idea what the asking price is?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 12:40:56 PM »
It's more than you or I could afford.  ;D

I have no idea.

Rick Sides

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 12:41:50 PM »
Steve,
I was thinking of taking my Christmas bonus this year and buying it ;D

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »
Once he buys it, it will instantly become the BEST COURSE IN NEW JERSEY
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve Lapper

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 09:33:27 PM »
Nah...3rd best....behind Bedminster & Colts Neck....

Though I'm sure he'll say it's better than that "joint nearby!" ;) ::)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Rick Sides

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »
If Trump buys it, I am waiting for this quote, "this is as good as Pine Valley" I know Trump will say something like this.

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 10:20:56 PM »
Can someone explain to me how it's possible mathematically for a guy to own a dozen courses, each of which is "the best"?   :-*
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 04:30:17 PM »
Jud, et al:

In fairness to The Donald -- his two courses in the Bedminster area are VERY good and oiften times they fly considerably below the radar of attention. I would not underestimate The Donald's effort to land something bigger beyond the Boys and Girls Junior that was played there in '09.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »
Only problem is, there is this old guy with a house on the Pine Hill course who won't sell...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »
Don't get me started.... :-X
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Trump buys Pine Hill in NJ...breaking news
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »
Will now be Trump National- Philadelphia

http://www.myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=2986&pid=20

He also bought Brampton Woods.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »
Can someone explain to me how it's possible mathematically for a guy to own a dozen courses, each of which is "the best"?   :-*

Better yet can someone explain the math of 300 members and $6250 in annual dues? Running a club the way he likes to on a base revenue budget of less than $2 million? Obviously some other sources of revenue but these numbers are hardly "Trump-like".

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »
Steve:

If The Donald is simply changing the shingle and name of the layout and not doing really anything to the course then frankly it won't mean much to a number of people -- myself included.

Pine Hill could be a much better golf course but that entails doing a few more things than simply moving the tee markers or shofting the pin placements.

In fairness to Trump -- his involvements in NJ have been quite good -- the 36-hole layout in Bedminster is very good -- good enough that both courses can make a solid case to crack Jersey's top 10 and that says something given the pedigree of courses here.

Pine Hill is a better than average golf course but given the land it has it could have been even better.

We shall see what The Donald does on that front .

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
Both courses were sold at "bargain basement" prices,perhaps less than 5M each.

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »
Setting aside The Donald's personality & media profile, you certainly have to admit he seems serious about the golf course business and he is building a respectable portfolio of golf courses. He also seems to be doing it in a prudent way. Buying courses for "pennies on the dollar" sure makes turning a profit and staying in business much, much easier.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
The concept of joining one course and being able to play others in the stable seems clever.

Donald Trump has proven to be a successful real estate developer and promoter.

If golf fails, what are the properties zoned for ?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 05:42:04 PM »
Bergstol designed Bayonne GC as well, didn't he?  Is that club next in Trump's sights?  If Pine Hill can be Trump National--Philadelphia, then I suppose Bayonne could be Trump National--Manhattan.

For as ridiculous as his persona seems to some, it's pretty clear that his brand appeals to a good number of people.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
 :-X :-X
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:32:40 PM by Jud Tigerman »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »

If golf fails, what are the properties zoned for ?

Patrick,

If he bought each for say $5.0 mm for 200 acres within 15 miles of Philly and 40 miles of Manhattan, he or his sons have lots of room to pay the lawyers for a variance.

Both of these clubs are golf only so the overhead is pretty light compared to a country club. He paid cash, got rid of the debt and interest and now can land bank these for years if the golf does not work.

Trump may not like the GCA preferred hairy bunkers, but he is no dummy.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 10:47:42 PM »
Jud,

You and your ilk define, for me, the demise of the GCA Discussion Board. How is it that once again, you can possibly make such an assine blanket statement when YOU'VE NEVER SET FOOT ON A COURSE LIKE BEDMINSTER and likely HAVE NEVER MET A SINGLE MEMBER??? Can you please tell all of us why members at Sebonack, Clear Creek, Old Sandwich, a Bayonne or a Rock Creek,(et.al) most of whom have paid as much(or more) as a Trump membership remain exempt from your snipes? Is it because their taste in golf architecture is closer to yours (e.g. better) and thus their "new money" is validated in your small mind? We get that you don't like the guy....fine, but not everyone, especially in the Northeast, can join a Winged Foot, Garden City, Plainfield or Somerset Hills. Why don't you ask Mike Davis what he thinks? He plays most of his yearly rounds at a Trump course !Of course, I know you are wiser, smarter and better equipped to expound on those who share lockers than a tasteless, new money guy like Mike!

You come on this site for a few months, post an opinion on near everything, and are now a judge about accumulation of wealth and preponderance of taste and style. Like I said a while back, it's okay to dislike the Donald. His personality is a lightning rod for criticism and his braggadocio rarely wanes. But as others here have noted, the guy loves the game and has set out to buy places that would likely become run-down or NLEs in little time. He's putting time and $$ into the game and that's a rare combo these days. Like him or not, that's a net positive for the game! Should he be banished form this because you don't like his personality???

It is exactly these kinds of ignorant statements that diminish the value of this GCA board. You come by them so easily that I wonder if there isn't some greater personality deficiency at work here? Perhaps your money is "old" and your "taste and style" exquisite by standards of Town & Country, but your banality is revealing and sophomoric.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:05:55 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 04:14:09 AM »
Steve,

Way to not hold any punches baby! Can I get you a kleenex after that eruption?  It was a bad joke poorly timed.  I have nothing against any of the membership per say.  I will try to stay out of any discussions Trump related in the future.  I just find it hard to hold my toungue where that buffoon is concerned, as you not so eloquently pointed out.  I have some personal experience with the man that perhaps clouds my judgement.  I can think of a few courses that are eminently joinable in the metro NY area these days that don't have you-know-who's name attached to them.   :-\

P.S. Town and Country? now that's funny....

P.S.S. Am I becoming the Melvyn of Trump Golf?   :-[

P.S.S.S. If Tom Doak and Coore & Crenshaw designed the next Trump property would I spontaneously combust?

P.S.S.S.S.  http://www.badgolfer.com/departments/features/donald-trump-plans-to-buy-new-mexico-make-it-golf-resort-5733.htm
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 06:51:31 AM by Jud Tigerman »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 09:24:06 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back