News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Tralee on Courses by Country
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »
Awesome! Must be nice to have such an amazing place in your folks' backyard, eh Brian?

Sure is Eric! The offer is still open to come over!

Thanks! I'm going get to work on that very soon. Happy New Year!

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 03:27:10 PM »
Easily the best Arnold Palmer course I've ever seen....a long way from the Den at Fox Creek in Bloomington, IL :) It's got to be his firm's best design, no?
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
My question, which was my thought process when we were in the hood, is unless you've got a $25,000 Leica burning a hole in your backpack, why would one skip another go at Ballybunion Old or Lahinch to play Tralee?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »
Brian

Fantastic photos but as you say Mr Bradley does paint with a different palette.

As an aside, I note folk referring to this being a matchplay course as suggested by Ran with his reference to Archie Baird. To me it looks a hit or miss type of course. I can't imagine making too many up and downs round there. You could be out of the hole before you get to the putting green. It looks more like a stableford type of course rather than matchplay but then I haven't played it.

Niall

As usual Niall is right on the money.  Surely one of of the best bits of matchplay is the recovery shot. Or worst when your openent turns 'dead' into 'stiff'?

How do people rate this vs. Waterville?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 05:18:42 AM »
I think picking a difference between a matchplay course and a stableford course is pushing it really. But yes, it suits both of these formats over strokeplay mainly because of holes like 8, 12, 13 & 16.

I found Tralee to be enormous fun. Like a couple above, I did feel a couple of things were missing and the excessive penal nature of some holes might get old after a while.

But the setting is second to none and there are outstanding holes such as 14 & 15. So in my mind the course is behind the top tier in Ireland but certainly good enough to be considered in the lower reaches of the top ten.

I agree that it should absolutely not be missed if taking a one-off trip to the southwest of Ireland. Some of those photos of Brian give a great sense of the drama.

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »
Ally

Agreed, it does look dramatic and fun. The holesm certainly look inviting although I do have reservations about some of the approaches judging from the photographs but as I say I haven't played it. You refer to a couple of things missing and the excessive penal nature of some of the holes, what would you have done differently ?

Niall

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »
Brian,

No disrespect intended, as I haven't seen the course.  On a relatively short trip, we just decided to do 36 each at Bally Old, Lahinch and Waterville.  On a longer trip, I'd certainly check it out.  And sight unseen I'd say that it's gotta be better than the Cashen, otherwise they should bulldoze the place and start over  ;)...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »
Ally

Agreed, it does look dramatic and fun. The holesm certainly look inviting although I do have reservations about some of the approaches judging from the photographs but as I say I haven't played it. You refer to a couple of things missing and the excessive penal nature of some of the holes, what would you have done differently ?

Niall

I guess Niall that I can't tell what I would have done about those excessively penal approaches without rerouting the course. And I can't really do that without taking a bit of time. Greens at 12, 13 and 16 could be impossible in the wrong wind though.

I'm not that keen on some of the detail around the course. That may be as much to do with personal preferences.

There are some holes on the front nine that are squeezed in and unnatural doglegs. People say the second is great but I think it should be better with a few tweaks. The sixth has a wonderfully rumpled approach but a terrible drive. There are a couple of safety problems, both internal and external.

I'm not a fan of the slog that is the 11th.

Sure, we can find negatives in any course. The positives far outweigh them. And as an aside, I challenge anyone to find a course with more spectacular back tee positions.

Niall C

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
Ally

Thanks for the response, your comments on 12, 13 and 16 strike a cord with me. My main complaint about Dundonald, a Kyle Phillips course, and indeed the 18th at Kingsbarns which is another Phillips design, is that it seems to be laid out with set landing areas and approaches the way you get with some modern courses. Basically if you're not in the right spot to hit the right club you've got no chance. There's no flexibility that I think you need on links courses. And before anyone thinks I've gone soft I'm not referring to width, I'm thinking of green complexes which don't allow for some sort of running approach.

Niall

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I would agree with the Doak inspired comments of an opportunity missed at Tralee. The idea that flexibility is missing on Tralee is brought more clearly into mind when you compare it to Doak courses of Pacific, Old Mac, Ballyneal. (especially the back 9 of Tralee) Maybe my low draw/hook just let's me down there where I can play it at other links like Ballybunion. It is a very beautiful location and would never turn down a round there but not to be the highlight of a trip.

My question, why is the short par three on the ocean at Tralee (I believe it is 16) a better hole than a similar hole at Doonbeg (also 15 or16 I believe)?  (alas my memory is failing me as to hole numbers) Those who have played both should be able to help out please?

Thank You

Brad

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »
Brian,
awesome pictures.
I was there 21 years ago and remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Reading the comments, I can't help but think if the course was:
 built in 1898,
 located in County  Donegal (no comparisons to BB and lahinch)
 was in rougher condition,
 was designed by  Eddie O'Palmer ;) on a Sunday afternoon.
and cost 50  euros to play,

that GCAers would beating a path to its' door and waxing poetically about the hidden gem.

Looking forward to playing it again this June.

I do wish they had smaller white stakes-a bit jarring :o :o but no doubt to keep the tourists off the cliffs
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back