News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Chambers Bay Hole 4
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »

Par 5   568-347    Hc 3

Intimadating from the tee...the green looks miles away. The layup gets narrow. There is a little walk from the 3rd hole, but it is kinda nice.

Matt_Ward

Re: Chambers Bay Hole 4
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:46:22 AM »
Anthony:

How far is the "little walk" and what is the prevailing wind normally for the hole -- is a go at the green a realistic option for top players?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
Anthony:

How far is the "little walk" and what is the prevailing wind normally for the hole -- is a go at the green a realistic option for top players?

The walk I would guess 100 yards. They take you in a cart up the hill. In two would have to be a big hitter. It just looks forever. Has to play over 600 yards with the uphill.

Anthony

Mike Wagner

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 11:55:18 AM »
Love this hole!  Strategy is outstanding....long hitters can give it a go for sure, but the ideal line for this is toward the waste area off the tee.  Visually, you want to stay right, but there's some room down a swail to the right, which cuts off some distance.  If you do this, the second is all over the waste area, and if you don't get over, it's tough stuff - I've seen some good players get butchered.

IMO one of the underrated holes on the course.  There's plenty of room left to play the hole, but I always hear people up here complain that the hole sucks and there's nowhere to go...the green was too small, etc, etc.  I don't get it.  Awesome hole!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:55:55 AM »
you missed the second part of my question -- the prevailing wind direction in the prime playing months is from where ?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 11:58:37 AM »
you missed the second part of my question -- the prevailing wind direction in the prime playing months is from where ?

Behind and from the right.

Tom Yost

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:01:12 PM »
This is the first pic I've seen of the new green with turf.   Any word when it will open for play?

Here are a few pics from my August 2008 visit (old green in play).

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »

Matt,

I would guess that any help from the wind being behind you is negated from it also coming from the right.

Anthony

Mike Wagner

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »
This hole runs East, so the prevailing summer wind should actually be L/R....correct?  That is, if there is any wind - reality is it just doesn't blow much up here - NOTHING like Bandon.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 12:40:23 PM »
Anthony,

I hate to be the one to bring actual stats to the table on stuff like this...but this is what I do!!!  ;D

A few corrections.

1)  The walk from 3 green to 4 tee is actually much further.  Google Earth put it 236 yards from the edge of 3 green to the beginning of 4 tee.

2)  The hole might play likr its 600 yards, but in distance its nowhere near that.  From the tips, following the fairway, which is a bit longer, its only 543 yards to the front edge.  Taking a more direct line, like say one going for it in 2, its only 532 yards to the front edge.

I will agree that it looks like a very fine golf hole as does the entire course.  I can't wait to get up there and play it!

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »
Matt--

As someone who has played CB over 30 times now, in every calendar month of the year, please believe me when I say that "prevailing winds" are not a consideration when playing CB.  There is no such thing in any practical manner whatsoever--there is no realistic comparison to Bandon or any other course where such concerns play a significant role.

It just simply doesn't blow at Chambers in a consistent enough manner or in a sufficient strength to influence those types of playing strategies on a regular basis.   In general, whatever breeze there is there is mild (less than 10 mph) and comes off Puget Sound and (more or less) from the southwest--the strongest winds, if you can call them that, are usually around now through December, and thus will have little to no influence on the bulk of the playing public.

The elevation changes do, and always will, play more of a role there.  For example, eventhough #4 plays to around 340 from the sand tees and 360 or so from the backs right now, I have yet to see anyone get anywhere remotely close to that green from the backs--the hole plays straight up hill and the typical playing public grossly underestimates that effect.  the same thing happened, and will happen again, when it is restored to a par-5 next spring.  All sorts of folks stood at the 210-220 markers in the fairway and banged hybrids and FWs 50-60 yrds short, and thus slid back down right into the waste area.

Because the scale is so great, most of the uphill holes appear deceptively "flat" in that even if one gauges the degree of uphill change, the eyes just refuse to let you fully commit to it...

The prime example being #7, but it happens on the approaches to #5, #8, #13, #14 and #18, for example..

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »
Anthony,

I hate to be the one to bring actual stats to the table on stuff like this...but this is what I do!!!  ;D

A few corrections.

1)  The walk from 3 green to 4 tee is actually much further.  Google Earth put it 236 yards from the edge of 3 green to the beginning of 4 tee.

2)  The hole might play likr its 600 yards, but in distance its nowhere near that.  From the tips, following the fairway, which is a bit longer, its only 543 yards to the front edge.  Taking a more direct line, like say one going for it in 2, its only 532 yards to the front edge.

I will agree that it looks like a very fine golf hole as does the entire course.  I can't wait to get up there and play it!

Incendiary....learnd it today.

ARG

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 12:57:31 PM »
Anthony,

A few corrections.

Incendiary....learnd it today.

ARG

Hey now...

Nothing personal my man, just doing some leg-work for you so you can get the facts straight!!   ;D

Just call me Kalen "Google-Earth" Braley!  ;)

Sean Leary

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »
The other part of the distance question is that the ball does not not fly very far in this part of the world. Tt takes two big shots to get home here.

I think this green was too severe and am glad it was changed.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 06:42:45 PM »

I did not get to play No. 4 as a par five when I was there in March 0f 2009.

But it is still a good hole as a par 4. When will the new green be in play?

I would say next spring some time.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 01:57:15 AM »
As Peter and Mike stated, #4 is a great hole, a deceptively uphill slog and the new work that has been done around the green will make it more "fair", especially for Joe Sixpack. I thought I had some pics I could share from a couple months ago but none of them turned out - apologies.

For the Ams, I think this will be a really interesting long par four (which is how I heard they will be playing it?).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back