News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Depression
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:37:31 PM »
View from the fifteenth tee at Cork GC today at 15:30, free draining course as well, more rain this evening as well.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Garland Bayley

Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »
Looks like the greens are puttable. Why aren't you playing? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
its not even winter yet Padraig!..pls post a nicer picture...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
Here's to better days Padraig. Is this a result of the Ireland/France match or a natural occurrence?

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »
Yeah, I think there are a lot of courses in the Eastern US that look like that. We got a lot of rain out here the last week or so. I know including the flood tides, the water in the Elizabeth River was nearly over our pier in Portsmouth, that was a rise of like 6 feet. We got at least 8 inches of rain; just about any golf course will flood a little bit given that volume of water.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:25:09 PM »
Aidan:

I suspect that you are correct.  Mr. Henry's crossover looked more like Allen Iverson than Pele.  

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »
Rory,

A shame that a wonderful match with such serious consequences had to end in this manner. Two offsides and two handballs in three seconds and no official saw anything!?  As the French would say C'est la vie.........

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
So far this year until yesterday, we've already had the normal amount of rainfall, more then the normal amount of rainfall for november fell in the first couple of weeks and then it hasn't stopped yesterday and today. The country is falling apart, the weather is terrible and then the best football performance in a long time is interrupted by 'the Hand of Gaul'.

But hey, Garland is right the greens are puttable!!!
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »
View from the fifteenth tee at Cork GC today at 15:30, free draining course as well, more rain this evening as well.

Padraig, Do you by chance know gentleman by the name of Michael Barrett from that area?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »
Greg, I know Michael Barret well, have played golf with him many times. He's some character, can only imagine the confusion he caused during his time in the US!!!

- Pablo Picasso

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 07:08:41 PM »
Aidan:

No doubt it was not something the referee wanted to see.  I suspect FIFA got exactly the result it was counting on the ref to deliver.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
Greg, I know Michael Barret well, have played golf with him many times. He's some character, can only imagine the confusion he caused during his time in the US!!!

You can't begin to imagine! Michael came to school after I had, uh, exhausted my eligibilty but still had a few credits to tackle. He was quite a player. Think he finished 2nd in D2 National Championships one year. We had quite the Irish pipeline going... Over the course of 4 years I believe we had as many 6 Irishmen gracing the lovely grounds of Glenville State College.

Tell him Nadine from Glenville Golf Club says hello... that should elicit a good ole fashioned belly laugh.  

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »
Rory

The ref couldn't see it from his position, it was the linesman who missed it, he had an unimpeeded view. The referee had an opportunity to give France a penalty when it seemed Anelka was taken down in the second half, he didn't give it when others would have and it was the correct call as Anelka had dived, so I don't think the ref was biased.

The whole incident just shows how stupid Fifa are not to allow a video ref, it would cut out the vast majority of dodgy calls, and stop the endemic cheating, diving etc., as well as the constant hounding of referees by players.

- Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 07:18:51 PM »
Greg

I'll say it to him when I see him next, might even let it slip to a few other guys as well. I know most of the guys who went to Glenville, one of them, Gary O'Flaherty who was only there for a year, is a member in Cork.

- Pablo Picasso

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 07:24:12 PM »
Padraig

I only saw the replay (albeit from about 7 angles on youtube) but it also appeared that the linesman to Given's left (Henry's right) was also out of position. 

I laud your willingness to let the ref off the hook but a steady diet of Big Ten football and NBA basketball has me convinced that the referees feel pressure, even if indirectly, to make sure the big teams get every opportunity to win frequently at the expense of the rules.
There are a lot more TV households in France than in Ireland and the rights fee to FIFA is probably bigger with France in than out.

In any event the 6 Nations will be here soon!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »
Greg

I'll say it to him when I see him next, might even let it slip to a few other guys as well. I know most of the guys who went to Glenville, one of them, Gary O'Flaherty who was only there for a year, is a member in Cork.

So you know Colin Cassidy as well? Patrick (the orginal irishman) Geraghty? Tell those you see that I say hello... AFTER you drop Nadine on them.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »
Yes Colin Cassidy, Pat Geraghty, Steve Moloney as well. I'll be seeing Pat over the next couple of weeks and will mention Nadine to him.

- Pablo Picasso

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »
Yes, terrible weather.  Blew all the way up here to Scotland too and cancelled my only day of field work at the Old. 

I haven't seen the play from the Ireland game, but I have heard the outcry.  If it was right directly before a goal then that is pretty bad. 

The implications were NOWHERE near that international match, but this here is a true screwjob where a goal was actually scored, was discussed, was called upon to review from the war room in Toronto because they knew the refs screwed up, and the bigheaded ref still would not acknowledge his mistake. No goal.  From Detroit vs. Dallas:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nZpCHtQYYI&feature=player_embedded
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »
Wow that's pretty bad.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 02:44:26 AM »
I at last have time to play golf, but the country is flooded.

Sickened by the Ireland result, but these things happen. The ref was very good otherwise. Ireland were brilliant. In a way, it's a good way to go out, with a bit of fire in our bellies. Personally, I'd be embarrassed if we got a replay.

The French media seem to be as disgusted as the Irish, so fair play to them.
John Marr(inan)

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 04:20:21 AM »
It's very wet in Northern England too, with more to come.

My sympathies to the Irish.  I suspect they will get nothing from FIFA who have got what they wanted i.e. France in the finals.  Thierry Henry's reputation will suffer though from Hand of God II and his previous good work in English football will be tarnished by this episode.

As a follower of both Rugby codes football's refusal to adopt video technology totally baffles me.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 04:26:39 AM »
Depression somewhat lifted, sun shining, course open, at least until tomorrow morning's inch and a half of rain!

- Pablo Picasso

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 04:36:55 AM »
I'm assuming from the news this morning that Silloth and Seascale won't be open for play this morning?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 07:04:47 PM »
Just a little update, played a few holes and took the camera.

15th yesterday

15th this morning

15th this afternoon

7th normally

7th this afternoon

6th normally

6th this afternoon

One of the other local clubs, Muskerry, with pictures of the 18th and environs

The opposite view in the summer

And the 18th again, the green should be in the upper right of the picture

- Pablo Picasso

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 04:45:45 AM »
I can confirm that media and a lot of french football fans are disgusted by the way this match ended. Irish team was brilliant and they have several occasions to score a second goal. It was one of the worst performance by French team and with this level of play, they can't hope to make a good run in the World Cup.

Shame is the word most used in France at this time. Cheating is now common in football. For golfers who are used to call penalties against themselves, the lack of honesty of football players are questionable.

There is a lot of talk around video, I would prefer a lot of talk around honesty.

Do you know one of the FIFA logos ? "My game is fair play"  :o . "My game is all about $" will be more accurate !
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back