News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gareth Williams

Re: Swinley Forest - February 16th 2010
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2010, 05:50:26 AM »
Weather is fine here today and the local forecasts are looking a little better now than they did a few days ago.

I will be speaking to the club today and will continue to hope for good weather, but expect (maybe) lousy weather!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2010, 06:34:44 AM »
One of the things I enjoyed at Swinley last time was seeing the Arble in full flight. Always a joy to see and to hear the distnctive cry of “Bits, bits” as it approaches the shortest of grass.

However despite being a recent immigrant from harsh northern climes and residing in this country to the North (of Watford Gap), it has never adapted well to the forecasted weather conditions. A shame but it explains the winter nickname of “The Lesser Spotted Arble”.

I hope I’m wrong. ;)

PS  there’s a beautiful blue sky here today and I remain the eternal optimist.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2010, 06:55:15 AM »
One of the things I enjoyed at Swinley last time was seeing the Arble in full flight. Always a joy to see and to hear the distnctive cry of “Bits, bits” as it approaches the shortest of grass.

However despite being a recent immigrant from harsh northern climes and residing in this country to the North (of Watford Gap), it has never adapted well to the forecasted weather conditions. A shame but it explains the winter nickname of “The Lesser Spotted Arble”.

I hope I’m wrong. ;)

Tony

It is still difficult for me to get my head round playing in the rain.  I just never did back in Michigan.  If it looked like rain, we always gave golf a miss.  Afterall, it would likely be sunny the next day.  I used to never be bothered by cold, but Saturday's game at Burnham with a bone chilling north wind did have me questioning my sanity.  Fortunately for you, or not, depending on your disposition, I am taveling down with Not The Paul Wheller, but a Paul Wheller just the same.  He is English and more than that, I would call him a mudde - his rain bottoms offer plenty proof of that.  We shall be there come rain or shine, but I will probably just push the ball ahead here and there.  I came down with a lurgy of some description - likely carried on the north wind from Scotland.  The worst of it will be my lack of enjoyment of the fine nursery food Swinley will surely provide.  Do ya reckon Swinley rents out electric trolleys?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »

I hope I’m wrong. ;)

Tony

It is still difficult for me to get my head round playing in the rain.  I just never did back in Michigan.  If it looked like rain, we always gave golf a miss.  Afterall, it would likely be sunny the next day.  I used to never be bothered by cold, but Saturday's game at Burnham with a bone chilling north wind did have me questioning my sanity.  Fortunately for you, or not, depending on your disposition, I am taveling down with Not The Paul Wheller, but a Paul Wheller just the same.  He is English and more than that, I would call him a mudde - his rain bottoms offer plenty proof of that.  We shall be there come rain or shine, but I will probably just push the ball ahead here and there.  I came down with a lurgy of some description - likely carried on the north wind from Scotland.  The worst of it will be my lack of enjoyment of the fine nursery food Swinley will surely provide.  Do ya reckon Swinley rents out electric trolleys?

Ciao

Excellent news, the prospects are brightening all the time.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Gareth Williams

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2010, 08:13:29 AM »

I hope I’m wrong. ;)

Tony

Ciao

Hi Sean,

Swinley do indeed hire our electric buggies and (I think) electric trolleys too. Give Stuart (the Pro) or Ben (his assistant) a call to check or reserve one;

01344 295282 The Pro Shop @ Swinley Forest

Regards,
Gareth

Gareth Williams

« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2010, 08:16:14 AM »

I hope I’m wrong. ;)

Tony

Ciao

Excellent news, the prospects are brightening all the time.

The course is fully open today and will be tomorrow.

The only reason it wouldn't be open would be for heavy snow but aren't going to have that here overnight. The latest local forecast looks like a rain shower (heavy) for when we tee off but clear and dry afterwards - if cold.

I have the factor 20 at hand in case the forecasts are woefully incorrect however - hey we can all be optimistics  ;D

JNC Lyon

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »
I played today, and I found the weather to be perfect for winter golf.  If the wind is down and the rain is minimal, the cold air should be no probably,  Of course, No snow = golf for me.  I always joke that we play more golf in Upstate New York per year than anyone in the US because we are willing to, and do, play in any and all weather conditions. 

Rest assured, there will be golf played tomorrow at Swinley.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Scott Warren

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
I like that positivity. Where did you play today?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »
Northwick Park.  It's a little executive course just off the Metropolitan Line (proximity to rail stations is a key criterion for me).  Good practice area (something I have been craving since I crossed the pond) and a 9-hole course with a bunch of replica holes.  I birdied the Postage Stamp and the 12th at Augusta today! ;D  Good warmup for some serious golf tomorrow.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2010, 12:06:02 PM »
There maybe an electric sweet trolley in the dining room!
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »
Northwick Park.  It's a little executive course just off the Metropolitan Line (proximity to rail stations is a key criterion for me).  Good practice area (something I have been craving since I crossed the pond) and a 9-hole course with a bunch of replica holes.  I birdied the Postage Stamp and the 12th at Augusta today! ;D  Good warmup for some serious golf tomorrow.

I wanted to play it when I moved here but never got around to it because it's so bloody far from SW17. Worth a look?

I just prepped for tomorrow by reading Ran's Swinley review on the tube. Seven times. Yep - fizzing, better not snow! ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »
I just prepped for tomorrow by reading Ran's Swinley review on the tube. Seven times. Yep - fizzing, better not snow! ;D

To add to your preparation, I posted some aerials along with my other pics. 

Hope the weather is good.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »
Northwick Park.  It's a little executive course just off the Metropolitan Line (proximity to rail stations is a key criterion for me).  Good practice area (something I have been craving since I crossed the pond) and a 9-hole course with a bunch of replica holes.  I birdied the Postage Stamp and the 12th at Augusta today! ;D  Good warmup for some serious golf tomorrow.

I wanted to play it when I moved here but never got around to it because it's so bloody far from SW17. Worth a look?

I'd play it once just for kicks.  The first hole is a "replica" (looks nothing like the original hole) of Riveira Number 6 with a bunker in the middle of the green.  The Postage Stamp hole is cool, as is the Birkdale replica.  I thought the greens were pretty cool overall.

Personally, I think every course is worth a look once.  Then again, I would walk 50 miles barefoot to play golf in January if I needed to, so I am obviously not to be trusted.

Between Ran's review and Mr. Mayhugh's pics, I'll be busy for the rest of the day.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:04:49 PM by JNC_Lyon »

Scott Warren

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
I just got home and popped my tired feet up on the coffee table and wanted, on behalf of everyone who played today, wanted to thank Gareth for arranging everything.

I can't remember too many better days of golf in my life - and that's despite 6-7 holes of rain among the 36.

The whole thing was flawless, so thank you very much for the effort. It's much appreciated.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »
"I'm like a kid at a party who doesn't want leave" -Scott Warren

That pretty much sums it up.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
I just got home and popped my tired feet up on the coffee table and wanted, on behalf of everyone who played today, wanted to thank Gareth for arranging everything.

I can't remember too many better days of golf in my life - and that's despite 6-7 holes of rain among the 36.

The whole thing was flawless, so thank you very much for the effort. It's much appreciated.

Thanks Scott, sounds like you are a Swinley convert now. There were some really tough pin positions out there and if they were replicated in the summer putting would be a scary prospect.

It's such a fun course to play - even if the weather is a "C-", your game is a "B-" the main event i.e. the club/course is a clear "A+"

Thanks to Tony (and my friend Simon) for the morning round and I really hope everyone enjoyed the day.

(p.s. apologies if some of the organisation lost it's way because of the delay caused by the heavy rain - and I had to leave after everyone got in due to my "southern man flu" that I have had since Sunday..)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:02:45 PM by Gareth Williams »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2010, 04:19:22 PM »
Glad you guys got at least tolerable weather.

Would make a pretty decent home club, wouldn't it? 

George Freeman

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2010, 05:49:51 PM »
Looking forward to hearing reviews of the course and seeing pics of the outing.

Sounds like it was a great time!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Scott Warren

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2010, 06:24:58 PM »
I did take a few pics, George, but compared to Mayhugh's they aren't much to look at. They do show the difference from summer to winter, though. I'll whack some up tomorrow.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2010, 09:12:46 PM »
Scott

I'll bet at least you didn't need the sunscreen this time round ?  ;D

Sounds like a good time was had - look forward to the pics to complement Mr Mayhughs

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2010, 04:32:56 AM »
I'd just like to back up Scott's brief summary.  Many, many thanks to Gareth for organising a brilliant day and it was really nice to catch up with some familair faces, meet some new ones and to finally put faces to a few familiar names.  Roll on the next time.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

James Boon

« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2010, 04:36:52 AM »
Well said Robin,

Gareth, many thanks once again for arranging a great days golf. Wish I'd had more chances to catch up with some old friends, but it was great to meet some new ones.

I took enough photos for a full photo essay but having looked back at John's recent thread, I'd probably be doubling up on a lot, though the contrast with the conditions is interesting. Scott, do you plan on posting here, on the back of John's thread or starting a new one?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2010, 04:52:41 AM »
Excellent day thanks Gareth.

Some wacky winter pin placements, they were Captain's Charity Fun Day positions. Had it been July there would have been numerous four putts and putting into bunkers. On 15 in the afternoon the excited Commonwealth thief holed a 20yd putt to an impossible pin to make off with five skins worth of swag, I nearly cancelled his visa on the spot!!

Honorable mention must be given to the honey glazed gammon, monumental.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Stephens

« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2010, 05:58:56 AM »
Many thanks to Gareth for arranging a wonderful day of golf! Pity that Michael Fish did not bring in the right weather. Hopefully there will be more in the near future.

It was great to meet fellow GCA'ers in the actual flesh and their vast knowledge of golf courses and their golfing skills of course!

Mark and Andrew thanks for the enjoyable round! One of the new things I have learned yesterday that is memorable is the Warm Bovril with Sherry halfway drink! (only for 'Hardened' Northeners!)

Mark C - like the Commonwealth thief Andrew also had an outrageous par putt on the evil 15th from 15 yards uphill left to right!!

Swinley Forest is a Hidden Gem - its main defence is the greens themselves in which yesterday's pin positions (marvellous opportunity for us to play the wacky areas!) added a few more shots! ;D. Colt really did design some very interesting greens - most of them were on the front nine. The back nine was more subtle but had longer holes. To me it is one of the most beautiful courses to play on and one of the very few that I kept my driver in the bag all round!. My only criticism of the course is that there is not one or two holes that really demands the use of the driver off the tee for me. I can see this golf course playing very short in the summer and very very tricky on and around the greens as Mark Pearce told me about how the course actually plays in firm conditions.

I would be happy to organise a GCA day at Luffenham Heath (and Rutland Water) in the summer if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Ben

Scott Warren

« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2010, 06:21:54 AM »
On one hand we got very lucky, as my missus spent the day 20 miles away and said it pissed down all day long, but on the other hand Monday was sunny and as I look out the window now, there are blue skies once more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back