News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg McMullin

What more is there to say
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:20:02 PM »
Picking up on the old saying about a picture and a 1000 words ....... here's mine

Carl Nichols

Re: What more is there to say
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:41:25 PM »
You might want to say it a little louder (errr, larger)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »
In the spirit of Carl's post....

That picture only says about 10 words, can we get something bigger so we can know what we're looking at?  ;D

P.S. It looks like that highland links in Canada if I had to take a guess!  (Can't remember the name of it)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:54:56 PM »
Hole #16 -  460 yard -  par 5 -  "Sair Fecht"
Green back to tee

The other way
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »
In all seriousness...

that is how a cart path should look!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »
One of the coolest holes in golf, featuring one of the lumpiest fairways golfers will ever encounter... and, unfortunately, one of the ALL TIME worst cart paths (location). Yikes.

Fortunately, there's a plan in place to remedy this problem. 

jeffmingay.com

Philippe Binette

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »
The long and bumpy road...

Nice path, kill me if I ever do something like this

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:25:57 PM »
If there's gotta be a path (and the fairway does look like a bumpy ride), it should go around the LEFT side of the tee at the edge of the woods, and then cross back over to the right in front of the tee, hiding behind the tall grass.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »
Tom,

I believe Ian A. has a new cart path route simply running up the left side, where you see the existing road; I think. He'd have to confirm this.
jeffmingay.com

Tom MacWood

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:58:12 PM »
What is the story with that fairway? What did Thompson do to create that rumpled fairway?

Its amazing how the upslope is reduced in the photo.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 09:07:49 AM »
What is the story with that fairway? What did Thompson do to create that rumpled fairway?

Most likely nothing?

Greg McMullin

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 10:52:11 AM »
Jeff did an "In My Opinion" piece on this hole a few years ago. Here is the link http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/jeff-mingay-a-great-hole-the-16th-at-cape-breton-highlands

"According to golf architect and historian Geoffrey Cornish, who supervised the construction of Highlands Links during the late 1930s, Thompson put a great deal of thought into the creation of the fairway contours at sixteen. He meticulously orchestrated the placement of piles of rocks and boulders cleared from the hole corridor, then covered the piles with riverbed silt excavated from the area comprising the sixth fairway"

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »
Love the fairway.
Why doesn't the green have some of the character of the fairway?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »
Of course that method of grubbing out forest and burning stumps and gathering rock into piles, then capping it is a mainstay of GC construction since such has been done.  But, I've seen these efforts to bury the grubbed out material and rock piles, capped, that have gone badly over seasons of winter freeze-thaw upheavals here in the norther states.  I've seens caved in areas where the remaining stumps not consumed by enough fire have rotted and gave way, and boulder rocks poke upwards, and even irrigation placed over such buried material and it being broken during the upheavals.

For Tom D., or other GC constructor experts, what is the secret of keeping the boulders and large unburned stumps from heaving up through the surface turf eventually after seasons of winter frozen then thawed ground?  Does anyone know if that upheaval of material issue was a specific problem here on Thompson's encredibly enchanting hole?

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back