News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Re: Dixie Cup 2010 Planning Committee
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 08:03:11 PM »
I live in Bristol TN and would be happy to help with anything in TN, Southwest VA, or Northwest NC....

I played the Lookout Mtn/Black Creek combo last weekend and had a wonderful time.  Both courses are terrific fun and very interesting GCA studies.

Bart

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »
One thing that has made the Dixie Cup an enduring success is easy access.  We have had a few fly but most drive, so I don't know if Dallas or even western Mississippi is going to work.

Ari Techner

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
I would be happy to help for an event in Chattanooga. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
Good to hear Chattanooga gaining traction.  With Stiles, Anthony,  Ari and Mike Young checking with Mr. Stein I believe the dream event we spoke about in Aiken has a very good chance of happening.  I will check with a friend at Chatt Golf and CC as well.   

Jay Flemma

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 06:27:10 AM »
My first choice is Strantz/Williamsburg + Kingsmill River

choice 2 = Tennessee.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
My concern w/ VA is weather.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 03:02:11 PM »
I live in Bristol TN and would be happy to help with anything in TN, Southwest VA, or Northwest NC....

I played the Lookout Mtn/Black Creek combo last weekend and had a wonderful time.  Both courses are terrific fun and very interesting GCA studies.

Bart

I have played both of those courses, they are definately thumbs up. Add Chattanooga CC and you have an absolute winner of an event. 

It can get cool up there in the Fall, best to do it in the early fall, November/late October can be iffy.

Regarless of where the event is, look forward to being there!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 07:41:18 PM »
FYI...

I am planning out my 2010 and would love to be part of the Dixie Cup and would love to help as much as possible.

Let me know if we've picked a place, courses, leaders/organizers, etc.

Also, I've met and/or played golf with 4 GCA'ers in the short time I've been part of the site.  Each and everyone of those times have been truly excellent.  Along those lines, I would like to get an Atlanta/Southeast core group of GCA'ers to meet more frequently than once a year.  Golf, get togethers, Major Championship get togethers, etc.  Let me know if anyone else has an interest.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 08:05:58 PM »

Is Charlotte a done deal?

Anthony

Jon Heise

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »
TN or NC would be perfect for me- mainly for driving distance.  I know the golf quality will be very high anywhere that's chosen.  Good golf, good food, good peeps is all I need.
I still like Greywalls better.

Steve Lang

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
 8)

1)  The Bluffs is a great course and Natchez is a great area.. though never played around there..  could there be such a thing as the Audubon Trace?

2) IF TN is the destination, how about including Crossville, TN .. an easy drive west of K-ville.. did they reopen that Cumberland Mt. course?  There used to be quite a few fun courses around there.. 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »

Chattanooga is a done deal for 2011, if Charlotte is OK for 2010.

Anthony

Mac Plumart

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 09:23:46 AM »
I'm up for anything, I just want to get it on my calendar to ensure I meet some of you guys.

Seriously, playing with the few GCA'ers that I've played with thus far has been some of the best golf experiences I've had. 

And I can't wait for more!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Paul Jones

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 09:33:50 AM »
If you make the trip to the Bluffs in LA, we could add either Oakbourne in Lafayette (Dick Wilson) or Money Hill in Abita Springs (Ron Garl) to the list.

I could help with either of those courses.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 09:46:12 AM »
8)  how about including Crossville, TN .. an easy drive west of K-ville.. did they reopen that Cumberland Mt. course?  There used to be quite a few fun courses around there.. 

Steve,

You're referring to the one just off of I-40, up on top of Renegade Mtn, used to be called Cumberland Gardens?  Yes, it re-opened under new ownership and for the time being is private, although they are allowing some stay and play packages to the public.  www.renegadenational.com

The Jack Nicklaus Bear Trace course in Crossville is called Cumberland Mtn. and is a nice place to play for about $40.

btw, this is my home town. :)

Bryan Drennon

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »
FYI...

I am planning out my 2010 and would love to be part of the Dixie Cup and would love to help as much as possible.

Let me know if we've picked a place, courses, leaders/organizers, etc.

Also, I've met and/or played golf with 4 GCA'ers in the short time I've been part of the site.  Each and everyone of those times have been truly excellent.  Along those lines, I would like to get an Atlanta/Southeast core group of GCA'ers to meet more frequently than once a year.  Golf, get togethers, Major Championship get togethers, etc.  Let me know if anyone else has an interest.

Marc,
It would be nice to have a more frequent events in the area. I had to miss the last Dixie Cup and would love to have more regular get togethers. As many of you can relate, my friends tend get that glazed look in their eye when I talk about GCA.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »
You're referring to the one just off of I-40, up on top of Renegade Mtn, used to be called Cumberland Gardens?  Yes, it re-opened under new ownership and for the time being is private, although they are allowing some stay and play packages to the public.  www.renegadenational.com

The Jack Nicklaus Bear Trace course in Crossville is called Cumberland Mtn. and is a nice place to play for about $40.

btw, this is my home town. :)

Which means you want to go somewhere else, right?   ;)

Steve Lang

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »
 8) Eric,

Yes, the one just off I-40.. Cumberland Gardens.. we played it one day in the spring and it snowed as a front went through!  There were some nice sections of that course.. 

I remember playing the Fairfield courses, Deer Creek, Jack's Trace..  which one(s) do you frequent the most?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Michael Whitaker

Re: Dixie Cup 2010 Plans To Be Announced Soon
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:45 PM »
Plans for Dixie Cup 2010 are in the works!!!

Ed Oden and Roger Wolf are putting an event together in Charlotte, NC.

For planning purposes only, here is a note from Ed with thoughts on the most likely scenario:

Dates - Friday 10/22/10 to Sunday 10/24/10.  This is the only available weekend that works for all venues without getting too close to the BUDA or so late in November that weather/daylight becomes a real issue. The potential fly in the ointment is that we need the Carolina Panthers to have a home game that Sunday, which substantially reduces member use at local clubs and makes it viable for them to accommodate a large group of non-members. So we can't definitively commit until the NFL schedule is announced, which usually happens in April.

Courses - Assuming the Panthers cooperate, Saturday 10/23 and Sunday 10/24 are set at Mimosa Hills and Carolina GC, respectively. Both are Donald Ross designs which have been recently restored by Kris Spence and fall into the "hidden gem" category that GCAers crave. Mimosa Hills is in Morganton, which is about 1:15 from Charlotte, but we're confident everyone will find it well worth the drive.

On Friday 10/22 there are a couple of possibilities. Roger hopes to secure Gaston Country Club, which is an Ellis Maples design that has also been restored by Kris Spence just down the road in Gastonia. Alternatively, I have reserved Charlotte Golf Links for Friday as well, which is one of Tom Doak's earliest designs. We would be interested in whether everyone thinks Gaston (Maples, private, likely good condition) or Charlotte Golf Links (Doak, public, often questionable conditioning, slow play) will appeal more to the GCA crowd. FYI, I expect all courses will be in the $50-$80 green fee range.

Accommodations - There are so many options in Charlotte that we are inclined to let folks mostly fend for themselves. But as we get closer, we'll probably toss out a few at varying price points. In particular, one of the members at Carolina Golf Club owns a very nice bed and breakfast which is conveniently located and would be a great place for people to hang out: http://www.moreheadinn.com/

Dining - Carolina Golf Club will be having an Oyster Roast Friday evening for members and guests. All Dixie Cuppers are welcome. Very casual, good food, cold beer and lots of fun. Saturday is a bit dicier since golf is in Morganton that day, so we will just let that one evolve.

Miscellaneous - We have spoken with Kris Spence about participating since he has done the restoration work at Carolina, Mimosa and Gaston. Schedule permitting, he is on board. We trust the guys will enjoy Kris' insight.

That's it for now.  Feel free to reply with any thoughts, suggestions or questions.

NOTE: Final plans will be announced in APRIL.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:08:39 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pritchett

Re: Dixie Cup 2010 Plans Announced
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010, 12:45:37 PM »
Michael,

This is great news and I look forward to attending.  Mimosa Hills is a course I have long had an interest in playing and I hear nothing but wonderful things about Carolina Golf Club.  Topped off with an oyster roast, pretty hard to beat!  I have played Charlotte Golf Links and enjoyed it.  It has some pretty cool holes and I think it cost me around $35. 

Help us out Panthers!

Mark

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 12:59:24 PM »
It sounds as though there are plenty of options no matter whether the Panthers are home or away.  Donald Ross restorations by Kris Spence, Ellis Maples (Donald Ross disciple)...the possibility of a visit with Kris Spence is good news.  Forrest Fezler entertained us with some great insights at an earlier Dixie Cup after a round at Tobacco Road.

Save the dates!  Thanks to Ed and Roger for their efforts.

Chattanooga 2011 sounds intriguing for sure.  It's all good!

Eric Smith

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
Steve,

I counted (all the way to) 4 measly rounds of golf in Cville I've played in the past 5 years:  (1 ea. @ Lake Tansi, Deer Creek, Bear Trace and Stonehenge.)  

Your snow in the spring experience is fairly common up there at Cumberland Gardens.  Often there would be fog all around you when it was sunny down at the interstate.  You do experience some great views up there, but when a front comes across the plateau the sky is pulled down over that golf course.  Once we had what must have been a 25-30 degree drop in air temp in a matter of minutes and ice began accumulating on our clubfaces from all the moisture (fog) in the air.  Course closed - just like that!

John,

Yes!

Mike, Bill, Ed and Roger,

Thanks for planning the Dixie Cup.

Oyster roast!  Charlotte sounds awesome I can't wait.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:40:06 PM by Eric Smith »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »

I think it would be awesome to have team colors this year. Maybe fuscia vs orange.

Count me in......and MOM.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 03:53:28 PM »

Just checked out Ran's thread on the gap in architecture....then I called Mike Young on his cell phone. Next years Dixie Cup wil  also be fun. Mike has agreed to comp all participants at the Mike Young Signature Tater Salad Creek. Leave your wallets at home boys.

Anthony

john_stiles

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »
Count me in.  

Anyone traveling  I-65/75 & then I-40 over to Charlotte, would be welcome to play Holston Hills on Wednesday or Thursday.

Home team (South) could be Carolina blue.

North team has to wear what ever Anthony selects for the north.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:28:58 PM by john_stiles »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back