News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

Re: What course that has never held a major should hold a major?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
I've always liked Crosswater at Sunriver.  They held the Club Pro Championship there a few years ago.  I don't know what kind of test it would be for the best, but the course is fabulous, it's part of a large facility and Bend is nearby.

Michael Huber

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 02:50:01 PM »
I've always liked Crosswater at Sunriver.  They held the Club Pro Championship there a few years ago.  I don't know what kind of test it would be for the best, but the course is fabulous, it's part of a large facility and Bend is nearby.

I believe the Champions Tour hosted a Major at the Crosswater course this year.  Not sure which major. 

I've never played there, but it looks like a really fun course, and it seems like it uses the water (the deshutes? river) very well.  Wasnt there a Shells Wonderful World of Golf played at Sunriver? 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »
Crosswater has the Jeld-Wen Tradition. SWWOG was Daly-Couples. Subtract about 8% for elevation. Would be perfect for the US Open with about a 10 mile walk and 5:20 rounds already established.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
Most of the suggestions are for courses in America.
What Kingston Heath and the Melbourne crowds have shown this week is that the last thing the world needs is three of the four majors in America.
The 4th major - or certainly the '5th' she should be an event that moves around the world and only to the great courses.
This needs to be an event that cannot bought by the higest bidder as the Ryder Cup has been in Europe certainly.

Kingston Heath has shown it is a perfect venue for a major championship.

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 06:35:13 PM »
"I would love to see a major at NGLA."

DanB:

Me too, but with the course playing as a par 70 and the greens about as hard as a linoleum floor and about 17 3/4 on the stimpmeter!  ;)

J_ Crisham

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »
Men's major? 
Lancaster Country Club (PA).

Dan,           Having played Lancaster last Summer for the 1st time I couldn't agree more. If you grew some rough and stretched it out to the tips this course would be a heck of a test for the young and strong. Perfect blend of great long par 4's and also great directional changes in that as I recall no 2 succesive holes run in the same direction.  Collectively as good a set of par 3's you will find anywhere. I am excited to get back next year and will enjoy seeing how the women fare in 2014 for the US Open. 
                                                                                                           Jack

Brian Phillips

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 07:15:16 AM »
Kingston Heath or Royal Melbourne.  Drop the PGA and create a new Major in Australia.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Chris Flamion

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »
If you were to say forget about logistics the answer is easy, Pine Valley.
If you play fair with logistics I would think National would fit the bill.

Now for the pure fun factor I would like to see Tobacco Road or some other Strantz design,  The frustration it would create in the players who are used to perfect lies everytime would make for some tremendous TV.

David_Madison

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »
Charlotte CC - after it's recent renovation, it has everything a course and club would need to host a major... a fantastic golf course with wonderfully challenging greens complexes; spacious grounds; a large, comfortable clubhouse and supporting infrastructure; and it's located in a city with a population that has strongly supported professional golf events.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
Charlotte CC - after it's recent renovation, it has everything a course and club would need to host a major... a fantastic golf course with wonderfully challenging greens complexes; spacious grounds; a large, comfortable clubhouse and supporting infrastructure; and it's located in a city with a population that has strongly supported professional golf events.

Good call David.  I played Charlotte this summer and thought that this would be a great venue for any tournament.  It has it all, distance, demanding iron shots and greens that have great movement. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Alex Miller

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »
Brian,

I second the Aussie major! The PGA really is the third wheel of the states' majors. I think the quality of the courses down under would give this major some real credit. Also, we could then have it in November, stretch out the season, and let the PGA Tour and Ryder/Presidents cups have more time to do their thing!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 03:29:09 PM »
Why do we assume that we eliminate the PGA?  It moves around from course to course...eliminate that selfish bastard, the Masters.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve Okula

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »
Let's add Royal County Down to the British Open rota.

Locals told me that Tiger Woods showed up one day for a casual round and shot about 45 on the front 9.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 04:17:09 PM »
Royal New Kent would be fun, but it isn't walkable, nor do I think it has room for spectators on most holes.

Rustic Canyon would be fun, but also I don't see it ever happening.

PCCraig

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 04:21:39 PM »
I think it would fantastic to the the Open be held in Northern Ireland. However with politics I can't ever see that happening.
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
Honestly, Steve, 45 for Tiger on the front nine?  Did they sell you anything else from their rubbish bins that day?  Was Tiger in swaddling clothes?  Jeez, the nerve of some "locals."
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »
I think it would fantastic to the the Open be held in Northern Ireland. However with politics I can't ever see that happening.

I don't think it would be a problem staging it in the North, although the R&A have indicated that Royal Portrush is not suitable for staging the Open. RCD isn't suitable either. Maybe the GUI or the Irish Govt should send out some feelers for staging it in Portmarnock for example. I think it would be a great success and attitudes have moved on a bit from 10 or 15 years ago.

The Tour de France has had stages in Ireland, England, Spain, Italy, etc., so it's not a big stretch of the imagination for the powers that be to go for an Open in Ireland. Portmarnock held the Amateur Championship in 1949.

I'm just dreaming :)

Dónal.

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2009, 06:21:01 PM »
I would like to see Porthcawl get some serious consideration.  It has successfully held the Amateur many times, Walker Cup, and held pro events.  There are plenty of beds in nearby Cardiff.  Easy access from the motorway.  What more could the R&A want if they are to hold this event in Wales?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve Okula

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 02:02:33 AM »
Why are Royal Portrush and Royal County Down "unsuitable"?

I was told by several people who claimed to have witnessed it, that Tiger went around the front 9 at RCD in "about 45". Mind you, he was out for fun, not holing everything out. If the wind were up, and Tiger was playing around on a course he never saw before, why would he not make bogies? I once saw him make a triple bogey during competition.

They were from Northern Ireland, these people, and of course I'll allow for the possibility they were exagerrating the difficulty of their course. You believe whatever you like, but I think RCD would host an entertaining Open.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Scott Coan

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 02:29:53 AM »
Whilst Portrush and RCD are remarkable courses the "British" Open will never be held in Northern Ireland for the obvious political reasons.

There is certainly a good case to take the US PGA Championship global and rotate it amognst the US, UK/Ireland, Australia, and South Africa on a quadrennial basis.  No question the world deserves it but I would not hold my breath.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2009, 02:46:30 AM »
Rich if the R&A picked RD they'd have booked the rooms before announcing the event so it would be Tiger and Co in the caravans!
Cave Nil Vino

Ash Towe

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 02:48:41 AM »
What about Kingsbarns for The Open.

Could the infrastructure find a home on this site?

Is the course suitable for this event?

I have only played there once but the answer to the second question would appear to be yes, not sure on the first.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 05:26:19 AM »
Any great course outside the US & UK

All one needs to do is to change the name of the US PGA Championship to the World PGA Championship and take it to other PGA tours around the world

Easy - surely ?

8)

Scott Warren

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2009, 05:39:42 AM »
Whilst Portrush and RCD are remarkable courses the "British" Open will never be held in Northern Ireland for the obvious political reasons.

Portrush held The Open in 1951.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:41:39 AM by Scott Warren »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2009, 05:55:40 AM »
Scott - The British Open wouldn't go to Ireland for the obvious reason it's not in Great Britain, the main reason it hasn't been to Northern Ireland since 1951 (as Mr Warren points out) has been logistics and security.

Cannot see the USPGA taking their championship outside of the USA for the same obvious reason. It is played on by and large the weakest courses with the weakest field. Bring on a proper 4th major played around the globe.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back