News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

WHAT DO YOU WANT ON THE OPENING HOLE?
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:24:47 PM »

Do you want an easy par?

Do you want to be challenged at the start?

What course has the "ultimate" first hole?....TOC?

Discuss..............

Ben Sims

Re: WHAT DO YOU WANT ON THE OPENING HOLE?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
Dr Gray,

A great question.  One I wish we had discussed before.  I have a few theories about the openings of golf courses.  Namely that they shouldn't be too taxing, not blind, no forced carries, etc. 

The three best openers I played this year included all three.  I liked Pasa's opener, and I like the OC Lake's opener.

But Ballyneal's sets the tone for the golf course better than any opener I've seen yet.  The tee shot is fairly open, but the forgiveness is deceiving.  The second shot is a fairly challenging, and the green overlooks the course to let you know what's in store.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »
A close proximity to Ben's Porch seems to be the best recipe... ;D
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »

Ben,

Thanks for your input. Looking foward to seeing you in a couple weeks.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:57:28 PM »
Dr Gray,

A great question.  One I wish we had discussed before.  I have a few theories about the openings of golf courses.  Namely that they shouldn't be too taxing, not blind, no forced carries, etc. 

The three best openers I played this year included all three.  I liked Pasa's opener, and I like the OC Lake's opener.

But Ballyneal's sets the tone for the golf course better than any opener I've seen yet.  The tee shot is fairly open, but the forgiveness is deceiving.  The second shot is a fairly challenging, and the green overlooks the course to let you know what's in store.

Ben, if you think #1 at Pasatiempo is "not too taxing," you are a way above average player.  Now that it's a 450 yard par 4 instead of the good Dr Mackenzie's original soft opener par 5, it's a brute - at least for me and most of the guys I've played it with.

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »
Bill,

I think you read me wrong.  I was trying to say that all my theories about opening holes mean precisely bunk because the best ones I played were tough (like Pasa's and OC Lake's) and shouldn't have forced carries (like Ballyneal's does), etc.

Sorry for the confusion.  Did I mention how much I hate using sarcasm on the DG sometimes? ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:08:49 PM »

Personally I like an easy par................Pinehurst.......TOC........north Berwick..............Pac Dunes.........Carnoustie......Royal Dornach...............Prestwick..............OTHERS?

AG

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
It sure seems like a bunch of great courses have first holes that you can ease into.

From my neck of the woods, Riviera gives up some eagles, and then you turn around for the second and make bogey.

NGLA has a great opener as well

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 10:19:18 PM »
I want to be able to find my ball instead of reloading if my first shot of the day is a bad one.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »
I'll second Bill on his thoughts on Pasa. As it plays now, it is a terribly difficult hole for an opner, but still a good hole nonetheless.

I think Riviera is an ideal opener. It's a half par hole for the long hitters and has one of the coolest greens around. Engineers has a very neat opener,  also mostly due to one the best greens I've ever seen. I like GCGC's because of the possibilites right from the get-go. You can make it as hard as you want it to be.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »
As (I believe) Michael J Fay describes in Golf, As It Was Meant To Be Played, a great first hole ought to be a "firm handshake."  I agree with that sentiment.  I think it's a waste to have a first hole be a "warmup" hole; that's what driving ranges and putting greens are for.

A "firm handshake" hole need not be a long, tough par 4 (although I love that that's how Old White starts); it needs only to introduce the player gallantly to what is to come.  The CC of Farmington (CT) starts with a quirky, charming 285 yard par 4, but the rest of the course is on the quirky/charming side, making it a "firm handshake" of sorts, despite its being a potentially easier hole.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 11:43:53 PM »
Bill,

I think you read me wrong.  I was trying to say that all my theories about opening holes mean precisely bunk because the best ones I played were tough (like Pasa's and OC Lake's) and shouldn't have forced carries (like Ballyneal's does), etc.

Sorry for the confusion.  Did I mention how much I hate using sarcasm on the DG sometimes? ;D

You're right, I read it wrong!  ;)

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 11:48:58 PM »
I was trying to say that all my theories about opening holes mean precisely bunk because the best ones I played were tough (like Pasa's and OC Lake's)

Am I reading this correctly that you consider #1 on the Lake course a tough hole?   To me, like SF's #1, it goes into the category of relatively easy starts....which I like.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Ed Oden

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 12:06:24 AM »
What value is an easy par if the hole isn't otherwise of interest?  Personally, I expect no more or less from a first hole than any other.  Just make it a good one that sets the tone for the rest of the course.  Whether that means easy, hard, subtle or severe is irrelevant in my mind.

Ed

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 12:22:52 AM »
I'll answer in terms of what I don't want.  I don't want a prohibitively difficult tee shot, one that yields a significant percentage of two stroke penalties, for instance.  I think you don't want a player to become demoralized on the first or last hole.  Of course this is a general statement.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 12:29:39 AM »
I'll answer in terms of what I don't want.  I don't want a prohibitively difficult tee shot, one that yields a significant percentage of two stroke penalties, for instance.  I think you don't want a player to become demoralized on the first or last hole.  Of course this is a general statement.

This, to me, is the greatest fault with the current version of Pasatiempo's opener. Someone trying to hit a hard drive might tug their tee shot a bit left and end up O.B. thanks to the driving range that is now wedged in on the left. Or worse, the foursome may spend 5 minutes trying to find the sift through a sea of range balls to find the one in play.

So, to once again answer the question posed by Mr. Gray, none of that...
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 02:00:17 AM »
I want a well designed hole, preferably a bit on the short side for a par 4, but if its an eye opener, I don't mind.  I don't really like starting out with a lay-up par 4/5.   I want to swing away on the opening shot even if its a par 3.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Cristian

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 03:23:27 AM »

How about Colt's principle?; the first hole should be fairly long and fairly easy; It gives the player who is not a low handicapper the chance to make amends of an indifferent drive of the first tee, but it also presents the possiblility of a birdie for the player out on the range early!
(Or a good par; I do not think it is relevant whether we are talking 430 meter par 4 or 431 meter par 5).

Examples in this neck of the woods:

1. De Pan
1. Koninklijke Haagsche
1. Royal Zoute

Mike Wagner

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
I prefer a par 4 that has a bit of give on the drive and is not overly long - mainly for pace of play.

Favorite would have to be Bandon Dunes.  I LOVE that hole and think it's underrated -

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »
As (I believe) Michael J Fay describes in Golf, As It Was Meant To Be Played, a great first hole ought to be a "firm handshake."  I agree with that sentiment.  I think it's a waste to have a first hole be a "warmup" hole; that's what driving ranges and putting greens are for.

Tim, a lot of Golden Age courses didn't have driving ranges -- this may derive from the general lack of these  in the UK! -- and the first was a relatively easy par 5.   Mackenzie in particular did this at some of his courses (Crystal Downs and Cypress Point being two definite exceptions!).  Valley Club, Pasatiempo, the Meadow Club all start with shortish par 5s.  George Thomas' Riviera does as well.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20:26 PM »
Cuscowilla - a short par 4 that quickly let's you know your opponent's style of play and/or state of mind... he is either going to blast his opener over the bunkers for an easy/short approach to the green or play safe to the right and face an uphill shot over the greenside bunker. You can learn a lot on that hole. -Mike Whitaker

Mike Whitaker said the above in a thread about opening holes and I agree.  A great opening hole!

Steve Salmen

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
Withouth intending to hijack Anthony's thread,  is there anyone who enjoys starting on a long difficult hole with trouble left and trouble right?

Unfortunately my favorite course, Muirfield, begins this way.  I understand Oakmont also has a beast of an opener.  I find it a little demoralizing starting with a triple but I'm worrying about score less and less with age.

I do like #1 at Machrihanish because first, it's spectacular.  Second, there is room right to bail.  In the absence of wind, a well struck drive can finish anywhere from 200yds (if you bail right) to less than 100 (if you nut it and turn it over) from the green.  The approach also gives you the option of flying it in or running it a long way.

Jim Thornton

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 01:20:50 PM »
Ultimate first hole...

Merion. 

Everything else is a distant second.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »
Tim, a lot of Golden Age courses didn't have driving ranges -- this may derive from the general lack of these  in the UK! -- and the first was a relatively easy par 5.   Mackenzie in particular did this at some of his courses (Crystal Downs and Cypress Point being two definite exceptions!).  Valley Club, Pasatiempo, the Meadow Club all start with shortish par 5s.  George Thomas' Riviera does as well.

Lake Course, SFGC, and Stanfurd GC are three others that come to mind.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Richard Choi

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »
To me, the first holes should be like a good introduction section in a symphony; it should expose the golfer to the dominant design theme for the entire golf course in a gentle manner that eases the golfer into the more dynamic challenges ahead.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back