News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

This doesn't bode well for Tiger's Golf Course Design
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »
Take a look at these photos of Tiger's new house-- looks like a 1st Year architecture student's mock up after an all-nighter to me. With an unlimited budget on a $45M lot you build this?

http://www.page2live.com/2009/11/09/is-that-a-new-motel-6-on-jupiter-island-no-its-tiger-woods-new-crib/
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Alex Miller

Re: This doesn't bode well for Tiger's Golf Course Design
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »
That is UGLY.

But at least he's spent years playing golf courses, not touring homes. If his course in Mexico ever gets done, it might be pretty cool, judging from the plans I've seen.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »
Yeah, but you haven't seen the inside yet!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:35:35 PM »
Yeah, but you haven't seen the inside yet!

As soon as I do I'll post a review. Something tells me I have a better chance of playing ANGC.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:56:32 PM »
as I often say:

It's not because you have money that you have taste ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:04:20 PM »
It is ugly based on whose standards?  It is geometric, for sure, and probably very functional.  Many older, elegant houses are nightmares when it comes to heating or, in south Florida's case, air conditioning.  Another ridiculous thread that on which I cannot avoid giving my opinion.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »
Surprising, actually shocking that he chose this type of architecture. Must come from Elin's contemporary influence. Certainly not in keeping the with Old World style of Palm Beach and Jupiter.

I'm sure the interior will be tastefully done.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
Perhaps Tiger was just trying to pull off his interpretation of the Castle Stuart clubhouse. 

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »
Another ridiculous thread that on which I cannot avoid giving my opinion.

Ridiculous based on whose standards?

Matt Day

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »
tough crowd to please  :D

I would think that once the landscaping is in and there's not 50 work vehicles parked outside the building will look better?

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:45:13 PM »
I'd have thought so too, Matt. Tough to rip it apart when it's half done and not landscaped.

I also find myself agreeing with Ronald. But hey, this thread ain't Robinson Crusoe.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 10:14:21 PM »
Examining how the guy who could be the most influential person in Golf Course Design over the next 30 years approaches building something where he has an unlimited budget and complete control seems germaine to the discussions on this website. I would suggest you either have the instinct for design or you don't.

Matt Day

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »
Buck
his missus could be in control of what the house design, I've seen plenty of blokes who have left house selection, design and fit out entirely to their wives (except where the swimming pool, games room and most importantly bbq and bar fridge are located)

Buck Wolter

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:40:24 PM »
Buck
his missus could be in control of what the house design, I've seen plenty of blokes who have left house selection, design and fit out entirely to their wives (except where the swimming pool, games room and most importantly bbq and bar fridge are located)

Good point -- my wife will sometimes let me think I have a say in carpet selection or the like eventhough we both know I don't.

The other thing that came to mind was since this place looks like a fortress there's a good chance it is, function over form.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 12:26:24 AM »
Something tells me Elin will look good in the house.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 01:17:30 AM »
Take a look at these photos of Tiger's new house-- looks like a 1st Year architecture student's mock up after an all-nighter to me. With an unlimited budget on a $45M lot you build this?

http://www.page2live.com/2009/11/09/is-that-a-new-motel-6-on-jupiter-island-no-its-tiger-woods-new-crib/

The article says Elin is calling the shots on the house, not Tiger. 

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 04:27:26 AM »
Examining how the guy who could be the most influential person in Golf Course Design over the next 30 years approaches building something where he has an unlimited budget and complete control seems germaine to the discussions on this website. I would suggest you either have the instinct for design or you don't.

So are you planning to shitcan his first course design halfway through construction as well?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 05:34:44 AM »
No-one got modernism in the 1920's... Georgian Dublin was ripped down in the 1960's... It's all trends that change...

Having not seen the inside of that house you can't really comment... But it could be a case of minimalism... which according to this thread is OK in course design but not in building design...

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 07:54:52 AM »
No-one got modernism in the 1920's... Georgian Dublin was ripped down in the 1960's... It's all trends that change...

Having not seen the inside of that house you can't really comment... But it could be a case of minimalism... which according to this thread is OK in course design but not in building design...

Minimalism does not have to mean boxes with straight lines or straight fairways. Here is an example of an iteresting (to me) minimalist design in Austrailia:

Tiger is obviously somewhat of a control freak and he did not let the wife just go wild on a $50 million investment! Maybe he can pick up some ideas after the tournament this weekend!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:57:41 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Mark Woodger

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:40:03 AM »
i just wish i had a $50m house for people to critique!  ;)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »
Of course it doesn't Mike... I was being a little facetious...

But aside from the somewhat mix and match with the roof, Tiger's house does have an element of minimalism about it, does it not?...

All I'm saying is what's ugly to one person might not be to the next...

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 09:32:11 AM »
Paul Firemans house near TCC Brookline caused a ruckus a few years back as well. That was called a Walmart.

Turned out pretty nice, albeit ridiculously huge.

Let's wait to see it finished.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »
My initial reaction is that the utilitarian look (at least during construction) may be driven by the fact that he wants it to withstand any hurricanes that will surely threaten it in the future. Given his frugal reputation, maybe it's driving the design a bit. He could be ahead of the curve for architecture in that part of the country.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »
My initial reaction is that the utilitarian look (at least during construction) may be driven by the fact that he wants it to withstand any hurricanes that will surely threaten it in the future. Given his frugal reputation, maybe it's driving the design a bit. He could be ahead of the curve for architecture in that part of the country.

Frugal Doug?

Did you read the article?  He spent a record amount just to buy the adjacent lots so he could tear down the houses and build this thing.  :D

As for the house itself...I recognize its still a work in process, but as far as I could tell the exterior portion of the house , (not the landscaping obviously), is done.  And I must say that is the fugliest "mansion" I've ever seen!!

Now perhaps a feasible explanation is that he just doesn't care because few will ever be in a position to actually see the house due to the surrounding "jungle" on its borders.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:26:25 AM by Kalen Braley »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Another ridiculous thread that on which I cannot avoid giving my opinion.

Ridiculous based on whose standards?

I love threads like this.

Tony Offtopic

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back