News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

Re: Aiken Golf Club - photos of a no-longer hidden gem
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2009, 10:09:56 PM »
Although I just had many nice things to say about Palmetto in another thread, I have to agree with all of the positive appraisals of Aiken.  Without a doubt the best value for money I've ever had on this side of the Atlantic.  

The tremendous variety in the holes, length, shot values, uphill, downhill, etc.  As noted above, only the fact that four of the five par threes require the same club is a strike against variety.  I would think even that could be obviated with pin placements.  

Although I am certain there are many amateur architects (myself included) could have done a bad job at Aiken, the course proves there is no substitute for a good piece of property with gloriously fine turf.

Aiken is so good that if I was a local I think I could play there everyday without a single twinge of Palmetto envy.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:45:22 AM by Steve Wilson »
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 01:01:59 PM »
The 13th is a short par 5 of 480 yards.  Quite a bit more room off the tee than the photo makes it seem.

Small pot bunker guarding the right hand side of the green.  Perfect spot to catch someone going at the green and playing away from the larger bunker on the left.

View of the green from the 14th tee.

The 14th is a short par four, only 276 yards.  A nice little mount in front of the green repels tee shots that are running up.

The green is somewhat diagonal to the tee.  A bunker wraps around much of the back.

The 15th is also a short par four, 295 yards.  The landing area is mostly blind.

The fairway ends at about 240 off the tee.  Rough between there and the green.  The green itself is narrow and deep.  Bunkers on the right side and a fairly steep drop off the left.

A look at the wonderful hole location from behind the green.

The left side of the green viewed from the 16th tee.  Nice short grass hazard.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:03:54 PM by John Mayhugh »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2009, 08:55:28 AM »
Attached is a fairly comprehensive history of the Aiken Golf Club as researched and prepared by the course owner.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
Attached is a fairly comprehensive history of the Aiken Golf Club as researched and prepared by the course owner.

Michael,
Thanks for posting that.  A few of us had a nice conversation with Jim before departing.  He was very involved in the renovations that they made.  One thing in particular that he added was the waste areas, explaining that people like the look and you save water at the same time.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »

Michael,
Thanks for posting that.  A few of us had a nice conversation with Jim before departing.  He was very involved in the renovations that they made.  One thing in particular that he added was the waste areas, explaining that people like the look and you save water at the same time.

I really liked the way those waste areas are maintained, nothing but sand and some isolated native grasses and sawgrass and palmettos.  We are having a terrible time at Pensacola with irrigation heads that spray into the waste bunkers and the 419 and other grass pursues the water and now we have a weed-clogged  look.   >:(  The maintenance practice at Aiken must be really good as well as cost-effective at those green fees.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »
The 16th is a 198 yard par three.  This one plays downhill. 

The old steps leading down the hill aren't usable anymore.

One last peek back at the 15th green and 16th tee.

The trouble here is all short.  I think that combined with the downhill tee, club selection is tougher than it should be.  Looking back up the hill from behind the green.

The 17th is a 368 yard par four that doglegs gently right.  A somewhat newer tree sits at the inside of the dogleg near a bunker.

The bunker on the right is around 220 yards from the tee.  The two smaller bunkers further ahead on the left are around 260.

Just short of the green.  To the right of the bunker begins the 1st hole's portion of the double green.

A lot of fun trying to two putt down the slope and back up the hill to the outward hole location.

The course ends with another par three, 202 yards.  The green is back to the left, with the tee shot being aimed over the bunker. Unless, of course, you're Anthony who took it out over the trees and cut sliced it back onto the green.  Worth one last look at the first fairway width and movement.

Big fall off to the right for those playing safely away from the parking lot.  If you look closely, you can see Anthony's ball on the far left side of the green, just outside of the shadows.  His birdie putt ended up being the shot heard 'round Aiken, literally, in a display that would put Hale Irwin's trot around the 18th at Medinah to shame. 

I should have posted this photo at the beginning.  Just one look at the putting green would give you a hint that fun awaits.

Jim's dog, who he found as a stray living in a maintenance building on the course.  Very fond of leftovers from the grill upstairs (the dog, not Jim).

A photo of a photo - the famed masked squirrel.  Jim said they like chewing on the sand bottles.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »

Just short of the green.  To the right of the bunker begins the 1st hole's portion of the double green.

John,

Going out on a limb, Anthony's ball on the right?
Thanks for the tour, you've had a great golfing season, I hope to get a chance to win back that $2 nassau one day soon.

TK

Mike Hendren

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2009, 11:58:59 AM »
Any photographs of the cart ash-trays?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »
Going out on a limb, Anthony's ball on the right?

TK

Nope. That is Jon Heise's ball. He was not on his "A" game and went with the pink ball to make a statement about his level of play. Cool ball, really.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2009, 12:54:37 PM »

I meant to get one and forgot.  You're referring to the styrofoam cups with sand?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »

Thanks for the tour, you've had a great golfing season, I hope to get a chance to win back that $2 nassau one day soon.

All you have to do to win the nassau back is play me again!  Maybe at Sagebrush?

It has been a great year, but nothing matches your driving commitment to come to Greywalls & Kinglsey.  Glad you made that trip.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2009, 04:16:35 PM »

I meant to get one and forgot.  You're referring to the styrofoam cups with sand?

Here you go:

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back