News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re: Pimp my course
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
Mike Trenham,

The chilled bottled water is usually the result of a desire to lose liability in case someone gets sick from a water cooler.

What ever happened to running potable waterlines to spots in the middle of each nine and the halfway house for regular old water fountains?

didnt some person in AZ die from drinking water on a golf course a few years ago??
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »
Swing and a miss Tom -- basically one row, with a nice mix of historic heads and head-brands and lots and lots of hand watering (there was lots of poa annua out there then and may well be again at some point).  I'm told that with single head control, there's less water used, even with the extra feet from the full circle heads. 

Newer systems (especially at the Pumphouse) are able to more efficiently manage the output curve, as well.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2009, 09:12:53 PM »

didnt some person in AZ die from drinking water on a golf course a few years ago??
[/quote]

Paul

I am sorry but people die everyday from so many things which we don't simply eliminate from society automatically.  Bottled water in ice filled coolers is overkill and a labor intense exercise.  I almost killed an inocent person driving down the street with a shank today but I will play tomorrow.

What was wrong with the water?  Did some greenkeeper spray the fountain with pesticide before the golfer drank out of it?  Did a bird use it as a toilet too often?  What was the root cause of the golfers death?  How could it have been prevented?  Should I not drink the potable water that comes into my home from an underground line?

Mike

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »
One thing I never have understood is ball washers. You just putted out with the same ball right? So why does it need to be washed before you tee it off? I mean didn't you clean it before you putted it in the previous hole?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:08:56 PM by Bradley Anderson »

Ian Larson

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2009, 12:09:19 AM »
The death from drinking water on the golf course was a very serious situation. The golf course used the big igloo coolers with Dixie cups. Appearantly the death was from contacting a virus or bacteria from drinking from the water cooler, alledgedly. But I'm pretty sure the family sued and won. With the ways I've seen maintenance staff go about refilling those igloo coolers and the condition of potable fountains, the germapobe in me only drinks out of bottled water on the course. A case like this should be taken very seriously. When something like this happens clubs don't even want to take the chance with liability. Bottled water is the farthest from pimping out a golf course.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
The death from drinking water on the golf course was a very serious situation. The golf course used the big igloo coolers with Dixie cups. Appearantly the death was from contacting a virus or bacteria from drinking from the water cooler, alledgedly. But I'm pretty sure the family sued and won. With the ways I've seen maintenance staff go about refilling those igloo coolers and the condition of potable fountains, the germapobe in me only drinks out of bottled water on the course. A case like this should be taken very seriously. When something like this happens clubs don't even want to take the chance with liability. Bottled water is the farthest from pimping out a golf course.

You are correct, now I remember it was one of those igloo coolers which left out in the heat all day seem like a breeding ground for germs and a daily maintenance cost even if someone does clean them properly.  An occasional cleaning of the piped fountains cost a fraction of the filling of igloo coolers or individual boxes of bottled water across the course each day. 

If you are looking at excessive costs bottled water is near the top of the list as I only see it at about 2% of golf courses and people are not dropping dead everyday on the golf courses that don't provide it.  If it is not a luxury item why are not 98% of all courses providing this to their members/customers?

C. Squier

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »
One thing I never have understood is ball washers. You just putted out with the same ball right? So why does it need to be washed before you tee it off? I mean didn't you clean it before you putted it in the previous hole?

I've always thought they should be put by the greens if anywhere.....like you said, who putts w/ a ball dirtier than one they tee off with?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »
I think Plainfield and Ballyneal have no ball washers and these cool underground trash recepticles. 

I would put the underground trash recepticles in the pimped category but they were petty good sized so no need to empty them everyday (but I bet they do at PCC & BN) and on a windy day they prevent trash from blowing out of the cans so they may save some labor.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back