News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: 2009 Australian Masters
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2009, 02:19:38 AM »
Who came in second?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2009, 05:17:36 AM »

They are possibly my favourite venues in each country but they certainly do have different scales of topography. Shinnecock has a much more open layout whereas as Tom said - KH is routed across a small property and relatively small changes in elevation and is tree lined throughout.

Both are wonderfull golfing experiences - when are you coming "down under" ?  ;D

I did see an aerial of KH after this post and was surprised by the Merion like surroundings. It looks so open on HDTV.

If Disney opens a park in Oz, I MAY be able to talk my wife into a trip!!

Sweens,

KH is very much like Merion. As Tom Doak so aptly put it, it is on a small property (less than 210ac I believe?), very, very well triangulated and very, very flat (save for 15-16). Like Merion it's defense are bunkering, angulation and swift greens.

Down the road a bit, Royal Melbourne is a far better comparison to Shinnecock. It has a much larger scale, rolling terrain with meaningful elevation changes. Friends of mine who are members at both often like to claim they hone their games at KH before trying to compete in Club matches back at RMGC. A diet of both is easily a full competitor to Merion-PVGC or Shinny-NGLA! See you this week! ;D
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2009, 05:29:15 AM »
Who came in second?

A leftie - not by the name of Mickelson but rather Chalmers  :P

Brian Walshe

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2009, 06:45:28 AM »
Brian

We walked all 18 holes today and we were pretty stunned by the quality of the course and the conditioning, both perfect.

Was it as good as Royal Sydney?

:D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
Mr. Walshe:

Mr. Phillips will get back to you in a few days when he regains his speech (and he's run out of courses to see in Melbourne).

Mike Sweeney:

Interesting that you compared Kingston Heath to Merion.  I have told others that KH is to Royal Melbourne as Merion is to Pine Valley, in terms of size and scale and quality.  Although Kingston Heath is a lot flatter than Merion.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »
Given the generally flattening affects of TV, it's surprising to hear anyone who watched the telecast compare KH to either Merion or Shinnecock.

Even in HD, I was surprised at how little elevation change registered in the second shot to 17 at KH.

It's an interesting phenomenon and perhaps explains why all first time visitors are wiped out by the time they leave the grounds at ANGC. They thought they were about to see 18 holes of golf in the Promised Land, and instead they signed up for a vigorous 8 mile hike loaded down with 15lbs of clothing and souvenirs from the merchandise tent.

On a larger scale, TV generally minimizes how much skill it takes to deal with the topographic changes, multiple hazards and pin placements on a world-class course presented in tournament shape.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:01:02 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »
Who came in second?

A leftie - not by the name of Mickelson but rather Chalmers  :P

Thanks, Kevin

O thought it was that O'Hearn guy.  All those Aussie lefties look alike......

PS--who won the Stanford-SC game?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2009, 04:39:27 PM »
O thought it was that O'Hearn guy.  All those Aussie lefties look alike......
That would be quite a feat as he is playing in Orlando this week.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back