News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Ferlicca

2009 Australian Masters
« on: November 09, 2009, 07:56:45 PM »
So who is excited to watch this tournament at Kingston Heath?  Not only are we fortunate enough to be able to watch a tournament there, but it looks like it is going to be a pretty good field.  Though I am super pumped to check out the bunkers, I am looking forward to the FAST & FIRM conditions.  From the drought going on in Australia, it sounds like the ball will be bouncing everywhere.

Kevin Pallier

Re: 2009 Australian Masters
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »
Unfortunately - the coverage in Oz starts from noon and Tiger tees off at around 7.30 so we'll only see taped shots of his 1st round.

He's created quite a frenzy down under - lets just hope he makes the cut  ;D

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:24:43 PM »
Doesn't seem to be being shown in the UK  :(
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:27:46 PM »

I can't find US coverage either.  Anybody know?

Kenny Baer

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »
Bill,

It's on the golf channel Thursday - Sunday starting at 10:00 pm

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »
Bill,

Thanks - looks like an opportunity to put the DVR in play!

JESII

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »
Bill,

Sure it's not Wednesday 10PM?

I don't know, but they are about 15 hours ahead of East Coast U.S.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »
Bill,

Sure it's not Wednesday 10PM?

I don't know, but they are about 15 hours ahead of East Coast U.S.

Correct.  It begins tomorrow night.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 02:01:37 PM »
Even better!!

Trent Dixon

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 05:12:13 AM »
The hype generated here is unbelievable. The local daily news paper has had Tiger Woods articles running pretty much daily for the last month. Both of the major breakfast television shows have been having daily live crosses to Kingston Heath. Tickets sold out in no time. It's fantastic to finally see a local golf tournament getting some decent coverage in this country. While RMW may be the finest golf course in the country, KH is possibly the finest tournament venue in the country for the challenge it offers and the variety of shots it demands. It's going to be fun watching Tiger's imaginative recovery shots around those greens.

Jon Earl

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »

Andrew

It's live on Sky Sports 1 starting at 3 am.

Jon
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:10:24 AM »

Andrew

Jon

Cheers Jon.  For some reason Sky aren't advertising that fact on their schedules on skysports.com.  I'll Sky+ it and look forward to watching it over breakfast in the morning.  I assume highlights will be on Golf Night each evening.

Jon Earl

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 11:31:57 AM »

Andrew

Jon

Cheers Jon.  For some reason Sky aren't advertising that fact on their schedules on skysports.com.  I'll Sky+ it and look forward to watching it over breakfast in the morning.  I assume highlights will be on Golf Night each evening.

Yes. I had to dig in  the online listings to find it. There seem to be concentrating on the Hong Kong Open.

Thank god for Sky+.
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »
It's going to be fun watching Tiger's imaginative recovery shots around those greens.

Exactly.  I'm not only excited to see the course, but watching the world #1 in the field is a huge plus.  I'm using the telecast as a scouting opportunity for my eventual trip down under. 

James Bennett

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 05:15:40 PM »
Its damn hot down here in SE Australia at present, especially in 'nearby' Adelaide (450 miles from Melbourne).  Spring lasted about a fortnight this year. Late finish to winter, early start to summer.  Adelaide is having a run of 39 degree days - a week of 35+ and it is early November.

It is nearly as hot in Melbourne.  I expect they will need to keep some water in the greens at KH, moreso than would have been possible with milder weather.  Scoring should be very good if the wind does not get up and the players manage to stay composed despite the heat.  Fairways will be pure and fast, greens fast and true, but not as firm as some would have liked (due to the heat).

20,000 plus Victorians standing out in the sun for several hours - it will be interesting from a crowd control perspective.  At least the Melbourne crowd is a knowledgeable sports crowd.  I can't imagine what would happen if this week was in Sydney, coupled with a heatwave.

Should be a great week - I had to sell my season pass.  Damn work is just to busy.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Emil Weber

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 11:18:21 PM »
 :o
Only watching the British Open makes me want to play golf more!

The fairways look a lot wider than I thoguht, and the f&f conditions have forced even Tiger to play a bump'n'run from a 100 yards on hole 9.

I'll be stuck in front of the TV for the rest of the day.... delicious.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 08:33:30 AM »
Caught the first hour of Sky Sports coverage over breakfast this morning.  All were very complimentary about Kingston Heath and seemed genuinely enthused about it.  The main commentator (Steve Beddow) commented on what a pleasure it was to be at a proper golf course.  Ex tour pro Tony Johnstone eulogised over Mackenzie's bunkering.  In fact i can't remember the last time an architect got as many name checks as MacKenzie did in that first hour.  They also noted that MacKenzie had only placed the bunkers not done the routing or built the course.

Comment was also made as to what a pleasure it was to have shaved run off areas at the greens.  On one occasion Stuart Appleby went through the back and played a bump & run to about 6 feet. Tony Johnstone said he could have used 8 different clubs to play that shot, rather than the predictable flop shot with a lob wedge he would have had to play at most Tour venues 

One of them referred to it as the "Sunningdale of Australia".  As one who has seen neither Kingston Heath nor Sunningdale is that a fair analogy?

Kenny Baer

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »
To be honest I was a little disappointed, the course was very green and very slow compared to what I thought I would see.  Baker-Finch and the other announcer kept mentioning that fact.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »
One of them referred to it as the "Sunningdale of Australia".  As one who has seen neither Kingston Heath nor Sunningdale is that a fair analogy?

Speaks to the larger question of the similarities between sandbelt and heathland courses. Mackenzie comparison might be useful in terms in his heathland courses versus Sandbelt work. I am only qualified to talk to one side of the issue.

To that point, I would say Sandbelt climate, terrain etc. makes it easier to consistently employ F&F as an added dimension to architectural features and playing challenge. Not quite there on KH based on yesterday's play however.
Next!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 10:47:45 AM »
To be honest I was a little disappointed, the course was very green and very slow compared to what I thought I would see.  Baker-Finch and the other announcer kept mentioning that fact.

The Sky commentators referred to the greens staff watering more than normal as they were concerned about losing the greens due to the heat.

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 10:48:55 AM »
I wonder how much of Victoria GC in 2002 still sits in the back of the mind when they are setting the courses up?

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 10:56:01 AM »
I wonder how much of Victoria GC in 2002 still sits in the back of the mind when they are setting the courses up?

Sorry Scott but you'll have to enlighten me on that reference.

Jason Topp

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 11:02:26 AM »

Sorry Scott but you'll have to enlighten me on that reference.

They had to stop play because balls would not stay in place on the greens.  There was wind but not a severe wind.

I remember some official from the tournament getting absolutely grilled by the Aussie TV commentators with a ferociousness unique to Australians in my experience.

Scott Warren

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
It was during the Aussie Open. As Jason said, it got a bit crazy and they had to cancel the opening round and play it as a 54-hole event.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »
It was during the Aussie Open. As Jason said, it got a bit crazy and they had to cancel the opening round and play it as a 54-hole event.

Rich Beem had the money quote on that: "First time I ever witnessed a tournament round suspended due to good weather..."

Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back