News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Dixie Cup 2009 - Post Event Recap & Comments
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »
Well, Dixie Cup 2009 is in the books and I think it is fair to say that everyone had a great time. The weather was PERFECT every day, the courses were an amazing display of old school golf (with Aiken Golf Club the surprise hit of the event), and the fellowship was of the highest order.

I know that others will want to post their thoughts and pictures, so perhaps this thread will serve as the central location for that information.

Special thanks to Bill McBride and Jamey Bryan for helping to make this year's Dixie Cup the best yet. Can't wait until next year!

Let the craic begin...
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jon Heise

Re: Dixie Cup 2009 - Post Event Recap & Comments
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:03:40 AM »
12 hr trip from Camden CC driveway to Jon driveway complete.  I took several hundred (thousand?) strokes on the golf course this weekend, fortunately I took several hundred MORE pics of the courses and the fun involved.  Will post a bunch later!
I still like Greywalls better.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
12 hr trip from Camden CC driveway to Jon driveway complete. 

Ouch. Mine "only" took eight and I left before you.

Michael, Bill, & Jamey,
Many thanks for a great weekend.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:48:45 AM »

A Great time on and off the course.

Anthony

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:54:46 PM by Anthony Gray »

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »
After a great couple of days in Aiken, I'm of the opinion that this colony's founders were truly all about style and substance. I hope some of the guys will post their pictures of the old hotel and the surrounding streets.  Great town, great golf, both private and public ($20 for THAT golf course, HELLO??) and best of all great people.  The Palmetto members warmly welcomed us at their historic golf club, as well as hosting a dinner and presentation for us that evening at The Green Boundary.  Sipping my whiskey in the parlor room I felt like I'd stepped back in time about a hundred and fifty years or so. Time well spent indeed. 

This was my favorite Dixie Cup by far.  All of you guys are the best. 

Who won by the way, North or South?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »

Two highlites stand out for me.

1- Bill McBride at the mic singing Neil Young's Southerm Man.

2- My birdie on the last and the big bear hug from John Mayhugh.

Anthony

Neil Young Kareoke in S.C.!!!  Men hugging men???  :o  Bill McBride at the Mike!!!! :o :o :o

Where was Lou during the performance?  ;) ::) ;D

I can't wait for pix.  Mike Whitaker and Bill McB and Jamey, congrats on organizing another winning Dixie Cup event.  You guys are tops.  Next year... I hope...  8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
Two highlites stand out for me.

2- My birdie on the last and the big bear hug from John Mayhugh.

From me?  Hardly.
Please move your interest on to someone else.

Eric,
We got a substantially discounted green fee at Aiken Golf Club.  Still a great deal at its full price (more like $50 to ride), though.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
Is this always an Oct/Nov event? I'd love to try to make it to even just one day of next year's event if I can, if it meshes in with my movements through your fine country!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
I am delighted to hear that Aiken Golf Club was a big hit.  I absolutely fell in love with it and was concerned I was thereby blinded.  BTW, I paid $22 to walk.

I would sum up AGC as a "golf course architectural attic" with an eclectic mix of architectural elements that includes a little junk, some neat old stuff and some absolute treasure.

As for the town of Aiken, it is a gem and would be a great place to retire to.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »

Eric,
We got a substantially discounted green fee at Aiken Golf Club.  Still a great deal at its full price (more like $50 to ride), though.

According to their website I saved $5 on the walk, which I did pass along to the bartender.
 Monday through Thursday: $32.00/ride & $22/walk
 Friday Saturday and Sunday: $37/ride & $25/walk
 Twilight Rate* Mon-Thur: $25/ride & $20/walk

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »

Eric,

According to their website I saved $5 on the walk, which I did pass along to the bartender.
 Monday through Thursday: $32.00/ride & $22/walk
 Friday Saturday and Sunday: $37/ride & $25/walk
 Twilight Rate* Mon-Thur: $25/ride & $20/walk

I wonder if that's current?  Should be, but I swear they charged some guy that went out before us around $50.  I guess I was just giving Mr. Whitaker too much credit for negotiation.  ;D

Scott,
That is the normal time frame.  While the dates don't get finalized quite as early as those for Buda, we should have some idea well in advance of your trip.  Aiken would have been a great place for you to visit.  I wouldn't mind moving, but might feel differently in July!

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 12:43:29 PM »
I will post more thoughts later but let me first say that Michael Whitaker is not only a tremendous gentleman, great host and a good man to share a drink with, but also a man who did a phenomenal job coordinating this event.  Michael, it was a pleasure spending time with you this weekend and thank you for a great Dixie Cup.  Also, thanks to the members at Palmetto for hosting us at their fine course and likewise, Jamey Bryan and the members at Camden.  Thanks to my captain Bill McBride for doing his best to shepherd the northern motley crew towards victory.  Thanks to my playing partners for making my rounds of golf this weekend among the most enjoyable I've had and thank you to all the great men I had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with this weekend.  A true testament to the greatness of this community.

A few pictures that give me some good memories and I'll share many more later:

Some sage advice to be found at Aiken Golf Club:

And, of course, the DREAMSICLE:

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

john_stiles

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »

My prediction to John Mayhugh was that  Aiken Golf Club  would be a surprsie hit on the trip, maybe since Camden and Palmetto were better known.   Regardless,  AGC is very good and has a number of short 4s that tempt the long hitters. There have been a few threads that have praised AGC before.

Anthiny was the surprise hit in the rocking Polo Lounge.  Nuff said there. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 01:23:02 PM »

Captian Bill McBride's speech before the second day was the stuff of legends. My hearet started pumping, my eyes teared up and I wet my pants. I would scratch my back with a chain saw and wear barbed wire underwear for that man.

Anthony

l

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »
Both of those short fours were very good.  I had great looks at the green both times, within 100 feet on both, and walked away with a bogey and a double.  The first one had a fairway wide depression guarding the false front that was all bermuda rough.  Tough to pitch out of with a sunken lie.  Then that green...I shouldn't try to describe it without a picture. 

Anthony's attire fired me up as he looked like a VOL fan all weekend, even though he isn't one.  He made my trip all the more fun, thanks for road tripping with me again bud.

My highlight reel would have a lot of DUKE'S in it...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »
12 hr trip from Camden CC driveway to Jon driveway complete.  I took several hundred (thousand?) strokes on the golf course this weekend, fortunately I took several hundred MORE pics of the courses and the fun involved.  Will post a bunch later!

Jon,

Enjoyed golf and Duke"s with you. Have a great time at PB and please share the pics.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »

We didn't have many flat bellies, but if you can walk both of those courses you are in good shape.

Anthony

Jon Heise

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 01:37:12 PM »
Both of those short fours were very good.  I had great looks at the green both times, within 100 feet on both, and walked away with a bogey and a double.  The first one had a fairway wide depression guarding the false front that was all bermuda rough.  Tough to pitch out of with a sunken lie.  Then that green...I shouldn't try to describe it without a picture. 

Anthony's attire fired me up as he looked like a VOL fan all weekend, even though he isn't one.  He made my trip all the more fun, thanks for road tripping with me again bud.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!  TEN FREAKING BUCKS!
I still like Greywalls better.

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »

mmmmm.....dukes......
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 01:42:37 PM »

mmmmm.....dukes......

Watching Joe Hancock put a rib in his mouth and pull out a clean bone belongs in a college movie.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 01:45:44 PM »
"What's a rutabaga?"
- Anthony Gray

rjsimper

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 01:49:56 PM »
Great golf courses, fantastic weather, tremendous company - could not ask for much more from this trip.

I believe the breakfast at the Hotel Aiken may be the best free breakfast I've ever had....and it's much more enjoyable eating it at 9am (Aiken day) than at 7am (Palmetto day)

32 holes at Palmetto Friday
36 holes at Aiken Saturday
18 leisurely holes at Camden Sunday

Thanks to all who made the trip...and congrats to my Southern teammates on a job well done to the tune of a 28 point victory (or something along those lines).

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 01:56:29 PM »

The meercats in the trees at Palmetta were cute.

Anthony

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »

Wow, I haven't seen a sight like that in years, that 'ma bell' public phone sign that is...

The other sight, I've seen plenty at the local country club prison/insane asylum farm for white collar Wall St criminals and golf dorks...  surely Anthony must have won the white belt this year!  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »

Dick,

I had met some of the fellas before so I needed to add a little class to the group with my golf attire.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back