News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Dixie Cup 2009 - Post Event Recap & Comments
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 02:03:14 PM »
"I live a life most men only dream about." - Anthony Gray

JC Jones

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 02:04:34 PM »

I believe the breakfast at the Hotel Aiken may be the best free breakfast I've ever had....and it's much more enjoyable eating it at 9am (Aiken day) than at 7am (Palmetto day)

Contrasted with the breakfast at the Colony on Sunday AM (despite the costumed clientele).

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:11:49 PM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 02:21:48 PM »

I slipped in the shower friday morning and busted my elbow so my play was affected. Saturday I waited until Eric got out of the shower so it would not happen again.

Anthony

Mike Benham

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 02:24:41 PM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jason Topp

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »

Wow, I haven't seen a sight like that in years, that 'ma bell' public phone sign that is...

The other sight, I've seen plenty at the local country club prison/insane asylum farm for white collar Wall St criminals and golf dorks...  surely Anthony must have won the white belt this year!  ;D

There was also a stymie gauge on the scorecard.

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 02:37:28 PM »

Wow, I haven't seen a sight like that in years, that 'ma bell' public phone sign that is...

The other sight, I've seen plenty at the local country club prison/insane asylum farm for white collar Wall St criminals and golf dorks...  surely Anthony must have won the white belt this year!  ;D

There was also a stymie gauge on the scorecard.

The copyright on the scorecard is 1939.  Talk about keeping in touch with history!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 02:47:45 PM »
Two highlites stand out for me.

2- My birdie on the last and the big bear hug from John Mayhugh.

From me?  Hardly.
Please move your interest on to someone else.

Eric,
We got a substantially discounted green fee at Aiken Golf Club.  Still a great deal at its full price (more like $50 to ride), though.

The nice lady said it was $20 to ride, $30 to walk.  A special Dixie Cup rate me thinks.  What a course, what a deal.

Eric Smith

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 02:48:59 PM »
The copyright on the scorecard is 1939.  Talk about keeping in touch with history!!

...but the long-drive inspiring scent of mushu pork and crab rangoon wafting in the breeze along the third fairway was enough to keep you firmly planted in the present.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »
An event in the south and not even one picture of someone eating grits for breakfast??   ;D

BTW after looking it up on wikipedia, to see what they are made out of, I actually found out this little neat tidbit of info:

Dry grits can be used to kill ants. Simply put instant grits around any dirt mound on a sunny day. The grits are eaten by ant and expand inside the ant's gut, which eventually blows up. It can kill the ant colony in 48 hours.

Mike_Young

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 08:43:55 PM »
Word is that Eric says "Gray's Anatomy" will be one of his favorite shows from now on....after spending just one weekend with Anthony.....
Can someone explain? ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Eric Smith

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »

I'll bet she reads Anthony's threads.

Eric Smith

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 10:01:18 PM »
Word is that Eric says "Gray's Anatomy" will be one of his favorite shows from now on....after spending just one weekend with Anthony.....
Can someone explain? ;D

I'm a fairly big guy so I can understand why I might be misidentified as Anthony's bar mate.  See above.

He was on a weekend long wildebeest hunt.  (2 bag limit in Aiken.)

Here's day 1's prize:

Anthony Gray

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 10:23:56 PM »

I think the scotish tradition of the face lick to the guy in the orange pants has spred to the states. Mad Cow.

Anthony

Mike Benham

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:14 AM »

I think the scotish tradition of the face lick to the guy in the orange pants has spred to the states. Mad Cow.

Perhaps a swine flu vaccination might be in order ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 12:53:06 AM »
Contrasted with the breakfast at the Colony on Sunday AM (despite the costumed clientele).

Hey,

Kalen never said he was going to the Dixie cup. Wore quite a fine uniform too. Is that your sand iron hanging on your side there Sandman?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Shimp

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2009, 07:19:57 AM »
To completely ruin this thread....   Were the greens at Palmetto with the new style bermuda too firm and fast (at least downhill) to be fun?  What did you like about them and dislike? 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »
To completely ruin this thread....   Were the greens at Palmetto with the new style bermuda too firm and fast (at least downhill) to be fun?  What did you like about them and dislike? 

They didn't need to be any faster!  We had some of the toughest hole locations I think.  The greens rolled very well for bermuda and I thought that the firmness was just right.  Putting was easier the second time around after I knew where I needed to be.

No shortage of fun.

John Shimp

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2009, 07:40:27 AM »
Tom Moore mentioned to me that the green keeper purposely slipped a few dangerous/hard to access pins (#3, 11, 13, 15).  Always been a course where not knowing how to "protect" to some degree on or around the greens can lead to bad things.

rjsimper

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2009, 07:43:53 AM »
13 was the only one I felt was unfair.
I loved the pin on 5.
The surfaces were fantastic.
15 was an appropriate pin for a hole of that length.  I drove it off the front right edge and was chipping at it, but had virtually no chance to get it close. A 295 yard par 4 needs some teeth in the green.

And by the way, that's my red-windbreaker arm in the photo of the two breakfast guests...I believe the look on my face at the time said something along the lines of "WTF"

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2009, 08:00:42 AM »

We were in Camden during "Revolutionary War Field Days" held the first full weekend in November, which attracts some 500-600 re-enactors and includes a daily battle, living history demonstrations, and traditional craftsmen.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

JC Jones

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 08:13:23 AM »

We were in Camden during "Revolutionary War Field Days" held the first full weekend in November, which attracts some 500-600 re-enactors and includes a daily battle, living history demonstrations, and traditional craftsmen.

Sure.  Whatever you say. To me it just seemed to be a typical day in the South.  ;) ;D ;D

JC Jones

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 08:50:09 AM »

...but the long-drive inspiring scent of mushu pork and crab rangoon wafting in the breeze along the third fairway was enough to keep you firmly planted in the present.

;D ;D That was Palmetto and the crab rangoon/kung pao chicken aroma has been known to inspire long and straight drives!  Interestingly, as we drove to Dukes that day, I looked around when we were passing the 3rd green/4th tee area and there was no chinese restaurant in sight.  I think it was divine intervention!

john_stiles

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 08:56:47 AM »
My prediction to Mayhugh was that Aiken GC would be the surprise hit of the trip.

The historical display at Aiken Golf Club has attribution to Ross for 11 holes.

Search of Aiken newspapers revealed that Ross did vacation in the Aiken area.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:57 AM »
I think I have discovered Anthony's true identity... he is really the entertainer Leon Redbone (or his illegitimate offspring).

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back