News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sandy Smith

New Zealand
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:25:22 AM »
A friend is going to New Zealand for a couple of months . Can any one give me a list of must plays for him ? Thanks
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Mike_Clayton

Re: New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:43:30 AM »
Cape Kidnappers
Paraparaumu Beach

I have not seen Titirangi for many years and they have done extensive work there since but it was always great fun

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 01:14:05 AM »
Mike brought up the 3 I would recommend as the top tier of golf to see in New Zealand. Ash Towe and Scott Coan are good sources for many other courses since they live there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »
What about Kauri Cliffs?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Scott Coan

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:59:10 AM »
A friend is going to New Zealand for a couple of months . Can any one give me a list of must plays for him ? Thanks

Paraparaumu just hosted a group of guys from one our sister clubs (Yarra Yarra) when they came over on a great golfing tour. They played Kauri Cliffs, Gulf Harbour, Titirangi, Kinloch, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, and Paraparaumu.

They loved Paraparaumu (of course!) even though we beat the pants off them which made up for the spanking they gave us last year at Yarra.  They also really rated Kinloch, which is a new Nicklaus signature course near Lake Taupo.  They got some nasty winds at both Kauri and Kidnappers but if your friend is here for a while then they can pick their days better.

Down on the South Island there is a new real estate developement called Jacks Point in Queenstown that has some spectacular lake and mountain scenery.  I have not played the course but it looks pretty captivating.

Is your friend touring all around or sticking in one place?  Reason I ask is for less than the cost of 2 games at Kidnappers you can buy a summer membership at Paraparaumu and play every day for three months.

You can get the same type of deal at a number of very good clubs all around New Zealand.  Great value for money, you get out of the northern winter, and you get to experience a bit of a different culture (if you like rugby that is).  The snow birds that flock to Florida are crazy not to look in to coming to NZ instead.

Sandy Smith

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 11:08:14 AM »
Hi Scott,
Thanks so much for all the great information . I believe my friend is there for at least 3 months and plans on touring around for a while and then sticking in one spot . Any thing else you could add would be great .
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Ash Towe

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 12:55:25 PM »
Hi Sandy,

Scott's post pretty much has the must plays nailed.  If you were in Christchurch I think Shirley is well worth a look and perhaps Terrace Downs mainley for the setting.

Scott Macpherson has done some work in the South Island and he may have some other ideas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back