News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emil Weber

Fort Augustus - Scotland ?
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:13:45 AM »
Surfing through GolfArchitecturePictures.com, I stumbled across a course called Fort Augustus. I have never heard of the place, but it looks magical, like an inland version of Askernish. Has anyone played there / know anything about it?

Cheers

Rich Goodale

Re: Fort Augustus - Scotland ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 03:55:29 AM »
It's a Colt.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 04:52:41 AM »

Emil

As requested some early information on Fort Augustus from 6th July 1904 the formal opening of their course. It seems that a Mr Alexander MacHardy of Inverness designed the 9 hole course.

If you contact Karen Callow Sec/Treasurer of F.A. GC, you may get a copy or information on a story board of the clubs history, which they were trying to produce earlier this year. The contact details are as follows:-

Karen Callow
Secretary/Treasurer
Fort Augustus Golf Club
Market Hill
Fort Augustus
Inverness-shire
PH32 4DS

Tel: 01320 366660
Mobile:07824 785003

fortaugustusgc@aol.com
fortaugustusgc.webeden.co.uk

Hope this is some of the information you are seeking

Melvyn

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 09:24:51 AM »
Thanks for that, Melvyn

Alexander McHardy was the first secretary of Royal Dornoch Golf club (1877-1883).  He was the Chief Constable of Sutherland and the winner of the first three Silver Medals at the club.  He got promoted to Chief Constable of Inverness in 1883, and the 19-year old John Sutherland took over the post of RDGC Secretary, staying on, as many of us know, for another 58 years.

I think the course that McHardy helped design was not on the same ground as the current Colt course which was opened in 1924.

Slainte

Rich

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 10:19:43 AM »
Rich

I think you maybe right, however I spoke to the club in Jan this year with my find and have not checked their web history to see if it has been updated. Was up there in 2007 but did not play, so cannot say much about the course as just a passing visit. on my way to Oban.

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Their website says:

Fort Augustus Golf Club was established in 1904. The legendary Harry Colt,who was responsible for some of the world's greatest courses, laid out our current golf course in 1924 when it was forced to move across the Caledonian Canal to allow tree planting.
When his work was completed Colt told the club " I do not want to see any artificiality about the course.The natural ridges and mounds will provide plenty of amusing shots (very true) and your little course should be almost unique among golf courses in this way".

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:42:22 AM »

Thanks for that Jim, so they have moved.

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:44:04 AM »
MM<
They seem to think so.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Emil Weber

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 07:25:12 PM »
Thanks very much for that, Melvyn!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back