News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Mike Keiser
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 08:54:59 AM »

Little men want big tittles-big men refuse them.   N A Hawkins

An amazing thing to me is that he never put his name on Bandon. i e Keiser Dunes etc. No statue, no painting...no mention.

Anthony

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 09:08:15 AM »
You guys all forgot another course he was a major investor in...The Glen Club outside Chicago.

A Tom Fazio design with green fees over $180 and cart paths galore  :o :o

I have met him on a few different occations, but once looped in his group about 5 years ago at The Glen. He told the young man caddying for him that looping was not a profession (as he was treating it at the time) and that he should see upon himself to join the Army.
H.P.S.

Michael Blake

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »
For the uninitiated, how did Mike come to have the money to indulge his passion for developing quality golf courses?

He created this company almost 40 years ago:

http://www.recycledpapergreetings.com/

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »

The book Dream Golf bounces around a little but it does a great job documenting Bandon and the owner's lfe.

Anthony

Michael J. Moss

"Big Break Bandon" - Inspired by "Mike Kaiser" thread.
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 09:58:30 AM »
In our dreams perhaps, but wouldn't this group of GCA bloggers love the Golf Channel to produce this one: Big Break Bandon." This show brings course architects to Bandon Dunes - the candidates will be selected by a blue ribbon GolfClubAtlas panel - to compete in the ultimate GCA battle, the winner of which will receive the coveted assignment to design the 5th course at Bandon Dunes.

There can only be five competitors, and they must be living. In addition, none can compete if they've already designed one of the existing courses. This does leave Brad Klein and George Bahto somewhat in limbo as they consulted on the Old Mac course. Urbina is definately out. Sorry.

The blue ribbon panel will only have four members. Why should Mike Kaiser have all the fun selecting who builds what on his own  property? It's my opinion that this web site has a group of backbenchers that is chronically underutilized. It's about time they assert themselves.  But in deference to the great man, we'll give Mike a vote only to be used to break a tie.

Who should the five contestants be?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »
Micheal,

Thats interesting...but I'm more wondering about how the contests would be structured?  Unless it involves shaping holes, greens, or bunkers on small scale.

Of which there would need to be a panelist of judges to which one is "best".

Sounds like an interesting exercise, just not seeing how it could be implemented in a "rubber meets the road" type of way.

Kalen

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »
Michael:

There won't be another golf course at Bandon Dunes proper ... unless and until The Sheep Ranch is redeveloped.

There will be another project close by someday.  The architect for that one has already been selected.

For years there have been threads here about "who should design the next course at Bandon Dunes," and I've had to bite my tongue because every single time, the decision has already been made.  And I won't tell you what's next any more than I did on any of the others ... there will be a time and place for that, when Mr. Keiser says so, but I doubt it will be before Old Macdonald has opened.

Germain Pepin

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 11:04:17 AM »
Mike Keiser is associated with the Cabots Links, on the west coast of Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia, as a co-owner. He is working with Cowan-Dewar and Ran Morrisett, who are the major decision-makers there. I am planning to play the course after the opening, expected in 2012. It will be a great course along the Atlantic Ocean.

Jeff Zeagler

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 03:28:53 PM »
In my opinion, what makes Mr. Keiser's Bandon contribution so significant is that is open to the public.  Few golfers have the opportunity to play courses like CP, PV, ANGC or NGLA. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 04:10:32 PM »
Jeff...NICE!!!!  Very nice point!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 07:43:03 PM »
I have had the pleasure of two meals with Mike Kaiser and several other more public chats. I find his mark in golf history may be the he redefined the rules of what will and will not work for a resort or some type of public access golf. I am not sure he is not borrowing a page from golf history as one looks at the Railroads in the UK, US and Canada as well the Pebble Beach Company. There is no question he takes or has a vision, does his research, makes a solid business plan and then executes it effectively. He is the opposite of his competition which is a wonderful thing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back