News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

dsilk

trains, planes and.... golf courses???
« on: November 05, 2009, 04:29:43 AM »
we all know that many of the world's great golf courses have a railroad track that runs alongside it's property stakes- which got me to wondering... are there any quality golf courses that lay hard by an airport?  i know that there are courses adjacent to Miami and Orlando (and the old teeth of the dog  runway at Casa De Campo)
Or since private flight isnt an option (for me anyway) maybe a better question is what is the best course that is closest to a major or 2nd tier public airport? (which would eliminate the pine valley airstrip as well as the airfields in North Bend, Or.  and Monterrey)

James Boon

Re: trains, planes and.... golf courses???
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 04:37:53 AM »
Scotland has 3 good contenders...

Both Royal Troon and Prestwick are right next door to Glasgow Prestwick, which I believe is an International Airport. Also, Castle Stuart is only about 5 mins drive from Inverness Airport.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Emil Weber

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 04:50:05 AM »
Perfect timing for this thread as I was just about to upload some pics of Royal Queensland GC in Australia.

Brisbane airport is very close and you hear and see planes starting and landing just hundreds of metres above you every 5 minutes, but the golf course is fantastic and plays in its own leauge of Brisbane Golf Courses. You'll see pics later tonight or later this week.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:52:48 AM by Emil Weber »

Scott Coan

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:04:13 AM »
Paraparaumu Beach has a smaller airport right next door which is about to undergo a major redevelopment that will allow for direct flights to/from Auckland.

Emil Weber

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:04:36 AM »
Here you go, RQ in spring with the 8th green in foreground:                (note the plane...)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:10:39 AM by Emil Weber »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 05:41:25 AM »
There's an aerodrome (not really an airport but plenty of small private planes) immediately adjoining Denham, which also has its own railway station (Denham Golf Club Halt on the Chiltern line out of Marylebone).
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 06:56:34 AM »
RAF Manston is pretty close to Prince's and St. George's. Longest runway in the UK I'm told.

The Red Arrows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Arrows) "park" there when they're giving displays in the South and we are often treated to free practices. Last year one came over the course so low I swear you could see the pilot's face through the cockpit.

No real quality courses, but there are a fair few near Heathrow. At Hounslow Heath (a scruffy muni) the jumbos come over with their wheels down, and it feels like you can bounce a wedge off their underside (although you can't of course)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:58:31 AM by Jamie Barber »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 07:06:11 AM »
In the not so good old days of the "Troubles", Chinooks used to fly over one of the fairways on Hollywood GC (Rory McIlroy's home club) in County Down, and then drop down to a military base close by. When I first saw this, I was convinced the Chinook was in trouble and was making an emergency landing, as it came in so low. You had to stop playing as you'd easily hit it if you were playing your approach to the green.

Dónal.

Jason Connor

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 07:43:49 AM »
What course is adjacent to the Orlando airport?  I dont think there is one by MCO, the main one.

Winged Pointe, an Art Hills design, abuts the Salt Lake City airport.

In fact you don't have to pull your drive much on 18 to be over the fence, in the airport, and OB.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:15 AM »
Though I wouldn't call it great, in Fort Wayne there is a course that has an airport, railroad tracks and two state highways forming the boundaries of the property.  The locals refer to it as the planes, trains and automobiles course.  It's name is Brookwood.

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 08:08:45 AM »
My current project at Sobienie outside Warsaw has its own airport and flying school. And a few weeks ago, we actually had a crash, but nobody was hurt !
Every time the client asks if I want to see the project from the plane, I always kindly refuse.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 08:11:43 AM »
Medinah makes you feel like you're playing on the infield of O'Hare International Airport.  :o
H.P.S.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 08:35:07 AM »
Isn't Cowboys CC right near the runways at DFW?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jed Peters

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »
Has anyone here played California Golf Club?

It's right in the runway path of SFO....

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 11:01:54 AM »
Machrihanish, Moray, Inwood
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
RAF Leuchars is across the estuary from The Old Course. The noise from the jets can be excruciatingly loud, especially during the Leuchars Air Show, featuring the 'Blue Angel' teams from the European countries in exhibition, when flying overhead at a couple of hundred feet.

Bob

tlavin

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 11:03:11 AM »
Beverly could be named Transportation National.  We're on a direct runway for Midway Airport, located just six miles away.  Our course is bisected by an arterial street and hemmed in between another arterial street and a busy railroad line.  We are less than a mile away from a trauma center.  Planes, trains and ambulances.  Ah, sweet serenity on the urban links.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 11:10:33 AM »
Metropolitan Links in Oakland is right near the aiirport as well.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »
Far too many are by airports evidently.  A few more:

Lossiemouth (and Royal Dornoch when training flights are going on)

TPC Scottsdale is very close to the Scottsdale airport, which is the airport used for private jets coming into Phoenix

Rainier Golf Club in Seattle is at one end of Sea Tac

Mayfair Lakes is at one end of Vancouver International Airport

And then to expand on the theme a little bit, Royal Regina is affectionately known by the  members as "Trains, Planes and Automobiles" because it is bordered on one side by the RCMP driving school, train tracks run along the other side, and beyond which is the Regina airport.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Alex Miller

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »
Kauai Lagoons too, also Navy in Seal Beach has got some real firepower  ;)

Ron Farris

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 11:52:53 PM »
I don't know about quality, but just outside Rapid City, SD there is a nine hole course next to Ellsworth Air Force base.
There is nothing like playing there when the B-1 Bombers are doing touch & goes:

This was a shot I took when I was headed to the Prairie Club last spring.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 01:09:44 AM »
There is a course in very close proximity to the Edmonton Airport - Blackhawk perhaps?

Ian_L

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 03:27:18 AM »
Not a great course, but could take the cake as to proximity.  Shelter Cove, CA.

Looks fast and firm. ;)

JLahrman

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 03:07:08 PM »
My guess is there will be lots of possibilities for this thread.

Here are three google images from the great state of Ohio.  None really count as great courses, but if you're interested in seeing if you can hit a plane with a nuked pitching wedge these might be for you:

First we have Reeves Golf Course, right by Lunken Airport near Cincinnati.  Reeves is known for poor drainage, being dead flat, and the possibility of dinging one of the small planes taking off and landing at Lunken.

Also in the Cincinnati area we have Blue Ash Golf Course, right across the street from Blue Ash Airport.  The course is in the flight path of the lone runway.  This airport is also for small planes, and they are not very far off the ground when they fly over the course.

Finally from Columbus we have, appropriately, Airport Golf Course.  This one butts up against Columbus's main airport so you get the full size commercial jets roaring in and out.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:09:04 PM by JLahrman »

david h. carroll

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »
Cavalier in VA Beach lies very close to Oceana NAS--it gets very very loud....and I seem to recall very big planes overhead or perhaps more like on your head at Doral.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back