News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

My year
« on: November 04, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
Mr. Warren's thread inspired me to look at my year in review.  Golf wise, it was quite a year.

I got to play:
Pebble Beach
Spyglass Hill
Riviera
Sherwood CC
Cypress Point
Olympic Club
Rustic Canyon
Seattle CC
Sahalee
Aldarra
Chambers Bay
Pacific Dunes
MPCC (both courses)
Poppy Hills (many times)

At the top of my head those were the highlights of my year.  I also got to see the other courses at Bandon including Old macdonald. 

KP in April was easily one of my golfing highlights of the year.  Getting to see everybody again and enjoying hospitality and company is becoming one of my favorite traditions.

Though I have not played as many courses as some, as a college student I feel extremely fortunate and thankful to be able to see and play all I have, especially in just one year.  This year opened my eyes to the wonders of pure golf course architecture.  Partiularly Riviera and Cypress pointed left me in awe.  Never had I seen two better courses in my life.  Olympic closely followed and showed to me how movement within  the golf course can produce a majestic outcome.  It proved to me that even with minimal fairway bunkering, using the slope of the land can to challenge the player is an effective way to challenge players of any skill levels.

Other highlights included caddyin Pebble Beach for Tim Bert and his friend while Tim wore banana yellow pants.  Tim, I plan on sending your hat around Christmas time.  Don't worry, I didn't forget about you!  But, seriously, that was a lot of fun.  Jasoin Kidd played in the group in front of us as we enjoyed a 6.5 hour round through Pebble.

Enjoying Bob jenkins and John Mayhugh's company again several times this year was again a highlight, like always.  Particularly Bob's and mine stop at In'n'Out on our way to the final KP dinner.   Walking Cypress with John in the morning and heading to pasatiempo in the PM made that one of my best days of the year.

Being able to be graced by Mr. Huntley was a wonderful treat as always.  I look forward to more meetings in the future.  Bob, thanks for everything.

Overall, this was my best year of golf ever.  I want to thank GCA for everything.  The members of this site have opened up dreams for me and there are no words I can say to describe what this year has meant to me.  I just want to say that GCA is awesome and I really appreciate everything.  The golf, the hospitality, the friendships, everything.

When time allows I will write more of my year and special moments.  Feel free to add any of your own.

Cheers to another great year in 2010,
Jordan

Garland Bayley

Re: My year
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »
What? No Palouse Ridge in your golfing accomplishments this year?  :o
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »
I think your next goal should be to caddy and play at Augusta! ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »
Thank goodness for the recession. It allows people to play so much golf :D
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »
Thank goodness for the recession. It allows people to play so much golf :D

What's funny, Dean, is that in my case that is almost certainly 100% true.

I was invited in for a trial at my newspaper last November, and in the week between that invitation being extended and the trial being completed, management put in a staff freeze to keep costs down, so the role was no longer available.

So instead of that, they start giving me casual shifts, which for most of the following year led to me being offered 4-5 days a week on casual rates with the option to miss a day or two when it suited me to play golf. What's more, casuals at that paper still accrue holidays, so from time to time I was being paid to turn down a day's work in favour of playing golf!

If they hadn't put that freeze in, I'd have been full-time with only 25 days of leave a year on lower rates.

At first I was gutted that the job got pulled, but in hindsight it's the best thing that ever happened to me!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
I need to get out west.  Two weeks in Oregon four years ago was just not enough.  For what it's worth, my courses and yours match up evenly...in my dreams.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
Some more memories.

The first time I got the chance to play Cypress Point, I hadn't swung a club in months.  I had broken my thumb and was not able to swing.  I stepped on the first tee, with nobody on the course like usual, tried swinging, and still could not.  Alas, my first time I was able to play Cypress, I had to walk off the first tee and wait until my thumb healed.  That killed me until the day I finally did get to play.  Ironically, I birdied my first hole, the first hole I'd played in months.  I also birdied m last, while hitting the green on 16 and parring 17 as well.  Ended up with an 85, still remember every shot.

Shooting -1 on the front nine as at Pasa after bogeying the first hole.  The course was pretty empty when John and I played it, and on the fifteenth hole we decided we wanted to play it twice, and so we did.  We had several closest to the pin competitions on the hole, which presented a front left pin.  That was pretty fun.  I remember I made birdie on 18 again to make it 2 for 2 on that hole.  That completed one of the best golf days of my life.  Woke up, skipped breakfast to make it to Cypress on time.  walked the course, headed to Poppy for NCGA cards, then to In'n'Out, Pasa, then In'n'Out before John caught the red eye.  Great day.

Staying with Bob was a pleasure again at KP.  I still need to make it to Canada Bob (yes, it will happen).  But, I remember the first night there hearing the story of the kid with a the airhorn.  The hpone call with extra grilled onions, the restaurant/bar with Robert and the gang.  Sherwood CC was quite epic, as John and I, excited to show the world what we were made of, lost 7&6.  I still remember walking off that ninth green.  Bob, thanks again for that great weekend and I look forward to seeing you in the near future!

Getting to see Old macdonald, courtesy of Mr. Brinnegar, was a wonderful treat.  Pacific Dunes opened my eyes to the ability of Mr. Doak and what links golf is made of.  Boy, that golf course is just fantastic.  Easily one of the best pieces of art I have ever seen.  World, watch out for Old Macdonald.

Riviera with Mr. Jenkins and our host was a special day.  Our fourth was chairman of the greens committee, and what a gentleman he was.  I remember seeing the fourth and the tenth, and being overwhelmed.  That was my first ancounter with a world class older golf course, and opened my eyes to the beauty of great golf course architecture.

Matt Cohn, caddying for you and playing with you produced some great memories.  Olympic was great, and again thanks to our host for a wonderful day.  The burger dogs are as good as everyone says, the par-3 course is top notch, and the golf course itself was incredible.  I have never, ever been beat up so bad by a golf course.  It was a fantastic day.

That, in one year, is a nutshell of gca memories.  There are even more but when I think about it, I am so thankful for everything I have been able to do and for all the people who have helped me see everything and live my dreams.  This is a year I will never forget, ever.  Thanks for everything, guys.

Cheers,
Jordan

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 02:31:16 PM »

Jordan,

Did you play Wine Valley?

Anthony

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 07:39:26 PM »
Jordan

A nice year indeed - it will be cool in 20 years time to look back on the golfing experiences you've had with a wry smile

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 09:37:09 PM »

Jordan,

Did you play Wine Valley?

Anthony

Two hour drive to Walla Walla from Pullman.

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
Is there anyone on here who didn't play golf with John Mayhugh this year?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »
Jordan,

I can't tango with that lineup.  I'm happy for you, and I hope you learned a lot. 8)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »

I had the pleasure. And hope to do it again.

Anthony

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 10:37:33 PM »

Anthony

Ditto.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 11:24:49 PM »

Some might like to hear about your accomplishments while in college ... :)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 11:32:41 PM »

Jordan,

Do not give us too many details so this thread won't be deleted. More power to you young man. All the best. And may all your dreams come true. Gather ye rose buds as you may.

Carpe Deim,

Anthony

Jordan Wall

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »

Mike,

Did well my Freshman year and did a good job representing the Evans Scholarship.

This year my grades are getting even better, as are my goals and aspirations for the future.  College is going well.

Anthony,

Thanks for your support.  I have not yet played WV.  If you ever make it back to WA I promise to do what I can to make it there with you.

Cheers,
Jordan

Michael Robin

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 03:56:16 AM »
Jordan -

Here is how my day started the day we played at Riviera -

7am - Get a call from Tom Doak saying that he and Mike Keiser will do the Documentary on Old Macdonald that I had pitched them. Tom says he is at Bandon now and will stick around for the weekend if I can get a crew there the next day. YIKES!!! I tell him I will call him in a few hours.

7:15am  - Call Mr. Keiser and work out the details with him and get very excited by his enthusiasm for the project.

7:30am - Call Mike Weiss who is helping me Produce the piece and tell him to find me a crew that can get to Bandon that day to start shooting in the morning. He says YIKES!!! He goes to work on it.

9am - I head to Riv to meet you and Bob. On the way, I call my office and tell my asst to start looking for flights to Bandon.

10amish - We start to play. Still no word from Mike Weiss.

11am - We are playing the 4th hole. I step funny on a side hill lie and wrench my back.

11:02 - I realize I'm totally fucked because I can't move. I tell you guys I hurt my back and stop playing. I keep walking and try to get it to relax to no avail. I'm thinking "Tom Doak just said yes to my Documentary and I might not be able to make it there. How can that HAPPEN!!!"

11:15 - Weiss calls and says a camerman he worked with at the Olympics is willing to go and leave San Francisco by car at 1pm with 2 other guys. Hooray!!!!!

11:16 - I call Tom Doak and say we'll be there tomorrow with a crew. He says "Great, I'll see you tomorrow." Months later, I find out from Tom that since he hadn't heard from me, he started to drive to Portland to catch a flight home. He then turns around and heads back to Bandon to be there for me the next day. I'm pretty sure it caused him some problems, but he never said a word and is amazing in the piece.

11:17 - I call my physical therapist and tell her I'm in trouble and can I come over in about an hour. She says come over. HOPE!!

12:00pm - I tell you and Bob that I have to go to my PT to work on my back, and that my friend Dick Zmuda will take you around the rest of the way. I apologize, watch you hit shots off the tee on 10, and then I leave.

12:30pm - I get to the PT.

12:45pm - I am finally able to get out of my car to go inside to her office.

12:46pm - My asst calls and says there is no way for me to get to Bandon before 2pm. Shit!!!

12:47-2pm -PT works on my back. I have a pronounced lateral shift. I ask if she thinks I could fly to 2 airports and then drive 45 min to Bandon, and she says no. I say I have to go. She says only way you'll make it is if you fly privately and go straight there.

2:01 pm - I call asst and say call AMEX and see if we can get a Jet at this late hour for a 8am departure to N. Bend tomorrow.

2:10pm - AMEX says they can arrange it for $$$$$. SHIT!!! Do it I say to beleaguered asst, but find out if we can cancel if I can't move in AM.

2:15pm - I get off table and can sort of move. I thank PT and she says try to take it easy if I go. No can do, if I go I will be on my feet for 10 hours shooting. Good luck she says.

3pm - Asst says we can cancel plane as late as 5am. I say go for it. One of the coolest things that has ever happened to me is in jeopardy if I don't go, and I can't believe the cruel timing that my back has for me.

5pm - Call the cameraman who is on the road and discuss what to do until I arrive and tell him what to do if I can't make it. He says will do and that he'll see me at 11am.

5am - I can sort of move and I call my asst and say let's go.

8am - Arrive at Million Air at Burbank Airport and get on a Premier 1 jet with Gordon Cooper as the Pilot.

10am - Arrive N. Bend after a great flight. Tell Gordon I will see him tomorrow afternoon. He and co-pilot head off to sight-see.

10:45 - Arrive at BDGR. Call Jim Urbina and tell him we're there.

11:00 - Jim picks us up and we all head over to Bandon Trails for a bite to eat and discuss project. They had been shooting for about 3 hours, mostly discussing/constructing the "Brad Klein Bunker."

12pm - Start into one of the most rewarding things I've done in my career, shooting a movie about Doak, Urbina, Keiser and their passion for what they do born out in the birthing process of Old Macdonald.

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 05:01:10 AM »
That's a really cool story, Michael.

When will the doco be available? Or if it is already, where?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:03:43 AM by Scott Warren »

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »

Anthony

Ditto.

Ditto
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

John Mayhugh

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 08:34:50 AM »

8am - Arrive at Million Air at Burbank Airport and get on a Premier 1 jet with Gordon Cooper as the Pilot.

Michael,
Was he the best pilot you ever saw?  ;)

Great story.  Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Jordan got pretty much the worst foursomes partner possible at Sherwood.  But somehow or another we're still on speaking terms. 

Cheers Andrew, Jason, & Anthony.

John Kirk

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 09:32:36 AM »
Very glad I read this thread.

Jordan, congratulations on another fine year.
Mike, uhhhhh, congratulations on another fine year too!

Mike Policano

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »
Mike, great story.  So was this day a precursor to morning at North Berwick at the Redan?

Cheers, Mike

Jordan Wall

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 12:33:38 PM »
Michael,

You said you had a crazy couple of days, but that is beyond anything I expected.

Sounds fun.

Cheers,
Jordan

Tom Yost

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 12:40:18 PM »
Jordan,

Congratulations on your year and best wishes with your continued success at school.  We met at the KP this year but did not get to play together, maybe next time.

And finally... (Sorry, had to do it...)       ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back