News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Who deserves credit for Essex County?
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:20:45 PM »
I met with a gentleman on Saturday who is a great admirer of Essex County, and he thought Skip Wogan deserved a great deal of credit. Evidently he was the green-keeper at EC for a good number of years, and relatively successful golf architect in his right. Does anyone know who did what at Essex County?

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re: Who deserves credit for Essex County?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »
Does it really matter that another obscure person may have had some imput in the evolution of the course?  The real subject of note is that the course has been brought to life.  For all we know, this person might have adversely affected the course like Duane did to Engioneers.  For a novel approach, how aboout judging the course on its current merits!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:34:58 AM »
To start with the earliest history I have....

According the 1954 club history pamphlet by Theodore T. Miller, the first nine hole course was layed out in 1893 by Henry Lee Higginson.  He was a Civil War hero and club founder.  This was no doubt rudimentary golf.  The original yardages for the first 9 holes (claimed to be the oldest 9 in the country, as TCC and St. Andrew's had fewer holes) were 180/220/190/375/275/100/240/260/400, and the course was generally located on the site of the current front nine.

George Willett did bring Ross to Essex as stated in Ran's profile. Ross brought along a favored caddie in 1909 named Skip Wogan.  The pamphlet from 1954 mentions Wogan still being with the club, having worked there in some capacity for 45 years!  The course layout in 1953 is presented in this pamphlet looks identical to today's course, and the pamphlet attributes the course to Donald Ross's expansion of the layout from 1915-1917 that modernized the early 18.   As an aside, it shows the alternate tee on #12 to be in existence as of 1953, earlier than Ran's profile states.

Please stay tuned for MUCH more information tomorrow that refutes some of the above in George Caner's 1994 comprehensive club history, as the book is FULL of the complete history of each iteration and hole history....

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:49:05 AM »
To start with the earliest history I have....

According the 1954 club history pamphlet by Theodore T. Miller, the first nine hole course was layed out in 1893 by Henry Lee Higginson.  He was a Civil War hero and club founder.  This was no doubt rudimentary golf.  The original yardages for the first 9 holes (claimed to be the oldest 9 in the country, as TCC and St. Andrew's had fewer holes) were 180/220/190/375/275/100/240/260/400, and the course was generally located on the site of the current front nine.

George Willett did bring Ross to Essex as stated in Ran's profile. Ross brought along a favored caddie in 1909 named Skip Wogan.  The pamphlet from 1954 mentions Wogan still being with the club, having worked there in some capacity for 45 years!  The course layout in 1953 is presented in this pamphlet looks identical to today's course, and the pamphlet attributes the course to Donald Ross's expansion of the layout from 1915-1917 that modernized the early 18.   As an aside, it shows the alternate tee on #12 to be in existence as of 1953, earlier than Ran's profile states.

Please stay tuned for MUCH more information tomorrow that refutes some of the above in George Caner's 1994 comprehensive club history, as the book is FULL of the complete history of each iteration and hole history....

Brad
Thanks for the info. I look forward to the rest of the story.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:05:21 AM »
Does it really matter that another obscure person may have had some imput in the evolution of the course?  The real subject of note is that the course has been brought to life.  For all we know, this person might have adversely affected the course like Duane did to Engioneers.  For a novel approach, how aboout judging the course on its current merits!

Robert
There are two threads, one dealing with the merits of the golf course and this one on its history. You are free to post or not to post on either thread.....or free to read or not read either thread. There would be very little interest in the history of the course (and those famous and obscure involved) if it were not for the course's merits.

Perhaps you should start a third thread about why you feel history and great golf architecture do not mix or a thread about why obscure architects should remain obscure.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:19:30 AM by Tom MacWood »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 09:52:59 PM »
Ok....according the Caner 1994 history book...

The first nine holes were in existence by 1893, but there is no concrete record of designer.  The course was modified every year for the first 4 years of ECC's existence, and had between 9 and 11 holes each year.  By 1895, the 9 holes was situated almost exactly where the front nine is today.  There is no record of who layed out this original nine, but it was likely a team effort among the founders.  The 3rd green of the current course was a green on the original layout.  Willie Campbell was the club professional in 1895 only, but there is no mention of his involvement in course planning.

In 1896, Tom Bendelow spent the golf season as an assistant professional.  According to Caner, "he had a hand in building the greens, and possibly in designing the course."  This was the first course that made use of the current first tee.

Upon the acquiring of the hilly property that is the centerpiece of today's back nine, the first Essex 18 was planned and opened by a Vardon exhibition in 1900.  According to Caner "The architect is not recorded, but Herbert Leeds, creator of the Myopia course, John Duncan Dunn, and Walter J. Travis may all have been involved."  This course was 5722 yards long.  All of the holes at this time were located on the current golf course land, but some holes went in opposite directions, and there were holes across the hill in the middle of today's back nine that currently do not exist.  On this course, the holes on today's front nine served as the back nine.  Two holes on this course today exist in their general entirety, the 13th and 16th (original 18 #5 and #8), two holes from the original course no longer exist altogether, and fourteen other holes from the original 18 were replaced by Ross wholly or in part.

In 1908, Donald Ross was brought by George Willett from Oakley to redesign the course, then shortly after to be the club's pro.  From 1910 to 1917, Ross totally redesigned the course hole-by-hole, one at a time.  The Ross course that Francis Ouimet opened in 1917 played the current holes in this order: 1-16-17-18-10-11-12-13-14 (front 9), then 15-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 (back 9).  New creations by Ross include the current 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, the combination of two old holes to form the current 8th, a new green at the current 9th, the great 11th, a new green and fronting hazard at the current 15th, and the current 18th.  The other holes not mentioned above are not attributable to the previous designers, as they simply followed the same land as a previous hole.  All were rebunkered and recountoured as Ross saw fit.  Amazingly, member play continued unabated during the entire transition.  During this transition time, Horace Hutchinson visited with C. B. MacDonald to play the course, and remarked that the transitions were "all the makings of a good thing."

The course layout was reordered in 1924 to today's sequence to bring both 9s to start and finish near the clubhouse.  Ross had numerous bunkers in his layout, and many have been removed over the years for ease of maintenance.  Not to worry, however, as the most prominent hazards from his course still exist.

Skip Wogan was Ross's caddie at Oakley (named for his penchant for skipping between balls he was shagging on the range), and his apprentice at Essex.  Wogan also accompanied Ross to Pinehurst each winter to work from 1907-1916.  He took over as head pro at ECC from Ross in 1913, a position in which he served until his death in 1957.  Ross was only the head professional at Essex for 5 years, although he continued to work on the course as an architect until its opening in 1917.  Wogan lived for 50 years in a house near the 6th tee of today's course in a house he bought from the famed George Willett.  Wogan was the jack-of-all-trades professional, overseeing course maintenance, clubmaking, and tennis court and building maintenance.  Skip also found time to found the NEPGA in 1920, and to create a new club tournament scoring system that is widely used today.  His only actual golf course design contributions to the Essex course were the construction of the current 17th green in 1936, as the tough-to-maintain old one was build directly on ledge rock, behind today's green.  He also raised Ross's current 9th green about 10 feet, and re-leveled the 12th green.

Phil Wogan took over for his father as the caretaker of the golf course in 1957, and kept the place in tip-top shape until he left the club to persue golf course design himself.  Phil oversaw the addition of fairway irrigation in 1958, which replaced the old system that was above-ground in the woods adjacent to most holes.  The greens were not watered with an irrigation system until much later.  Phil Wogan also no-doubt tinkered with a few tees and bunkers here and there as needed.

The history as explained above does not give much credit to Skip Wogan for re-designing much of Ross's Essex course.  I will say his stewardship for 44 years as golf operations head was very valuable, and important credit can be given for that.  After all those years being synonymous with the club, it was certainly possible that anything Essex was believed to have been a Skip Wogan originated idea!

Interesting questions are raised in the above narrative concerning the involvement of Leeds, J. D. Dunn, and Travis.  Unfortunately no documentation was available as of the writing of Caner's history.  I would guess that their involvement would only have been advisory, as the early evolution of the courses at Essex seem to have a history of in-house "design."  Whatever their involvement, they current course is truly Ross with a few very minor modifications by Wogan, and some inevitable greens committee tinkering.

C & W list Ross as the major architect, then redesigns by both Skip and Phil Wogan.  I think these redesign attributions are a bit heavy, as most revisions by the Wogans seem to be merely improvements due to maintenance ease or course fairness.

Anyone interested in a hole-by-hole architectural history?  There is a quite detailed description of each hole's history in the Caner book...

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 09:58:29 PM »
Brad,

Why do you think that Myopia is generally more highly regarded? Exclusivity?

I know that you prefer EC...

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »
Brad
That is a fascinating history Craner presents. Bendelow? That is the first I've ever seen Bendelow placed in Boston. Craner does seem to religate Wogan to a caretaker rather than an architectural influence. The other interesting development is the possible involvement of Leeds, Travis, and JD Dunn. I've seen that suggestion before. Regarding Willie Campbell I found an article that claimed he was responsible for the first nine, and I think I posted it somewhere on another thread a few months ago.

What about Miller and Craner's histories stands out to you?

DMoriarty

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:45:56 AM »
Thanks Brad.  Very interesting.

I had seen a reference to ANGC putting up the "Skip Wogan" scoreboard in the 1940's and I wondered what that was all about.   Your post explains it, I think.

Did the history make any mention that Wogan had designed some courses?   How do you suppose that came about?    Was he Ross's assistant regarding design changes at Essex County?   Was he in charge of the actual construction? 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 06:54:31 AM »
I did some checking and Bendelow was never an assistant at Essex County, in fact I don't believe he was a club pro or assistant at any time. He was a newspaper man in NY where he opened an indoor golf school in 1895. Its possible he did some work at Essex - that deserves further checking. As does the reference to Dunn & Travis (& Leeds). I have found D & T did collaborate at Flushing GC around 1900. 

Tom MacWood

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 10:48:07 PM »
Brad
Do you get the impression that Hutchinson's comments were positive? He was critical of Essex and most of the other course he saw in America.

I did not find any mention of how expanded the course in 1899, I suspect the long time pro Joe Lloyd was involved.

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »
I did some checking and Bendelow was never an assistant at Essex County, in fact I don't believe he was a club pro or assistant at any time.

What makes you so sure?

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 12:32:52 AM »
Brad,

Why do you think that Myopia is generally more highly regarded? Exclusivity?

I know that you prefer EC...

I think Myopia is generally regarded as on par with ECC.  Members of each obviously prefer their home course, although there are about 20 members who belong to both.  I think there is a general view of Myopia as being a more desirable play, because of the exclusivity.  The "late day fuzzy-film aura" exists at both, but Myopia is probably regarded as a more "pure" design just because it represents an early time slot in the evolution of architecture in the US.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 12:41:45 AM »
Brad
That is a fascinating history Craner presents. Bendelow? That is the first I've ever seen Bendelow placed in Boston. Craner does seem to religate Wogan to a caretaker rather than an architectural influence. The other interesting development is the possible involvement of Leeds, Travis, and JD Dunn. I've seen that suggestion before. Regarding Willie Campbell I found an article that claimed he was responsible for the first nine, and I think I posted it somewhere on another thread a few months ago.

What about Miller and Craner's histories stands out to you?

Not sure about Bendelow, as another corroboration might necessary.  Honestly this was the first I've heard of his being in Boston as well, even though I don't know much about his history.  Does the Stuart Bendelow biography mention anything?

Caner was pretty clear about Willie Campbell only being at ECC for a couple years, as he was at Franklin Park before 1900.  I'm sure he was an advisor to whoever layed out the course each year he was there as I assume the professionals were the resident "experts."  Tough to prove in any case, and the course was not static enough at that time (four "original 9s" in four years before 18 in 1900) to be solidly attributable.

I can't say what exactly "stand out" for the two.  Miller's account is very brief and probably only 25 pages long in a small pamphlet, so not too intricate besides the first attempt at mapping one of the "original 9s."  Caner's books is huge and encompasses everything Essex for 100 years including the founding, tennis, golf tournaments, ladies golf, etc.  The amount of info on the golf course is massive, especially the hole-by-hole evolution, but new ground isn't broken on Campbell, Leeds, Dunn, or Travis.  Personally, I would find it strange if Dunn and Travis had too much effect on the design, as they were not locals, and only visited to play exhibitions and tournaments.  Even if they made suggestions, it would be odd if they were particularly influential.  That is just my opinion though.  The Leeds involvement would be interesting, as he was a member at ECC as well as his home base at Myopia.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 12:49:56 AM »
Thanks Brad.  Very interesting.

I had seen a reference to ANGC putting up the "Skip Wogan" scoreboard in the 1940's and I wondered what that was all about.   Your post explains it, I think.

Did the history make any mention that Wogan had designed some courses?   How do you suppose that came about?    Was he Ross's assistant regarding design changes at Essex County?   Was he in charge of the actual construction? 

Yes, he first made up the scoreboards that we now take for granted at almost all tournaments.

As for Wogan's design career, he is credited with Webhannet in Maine, and parts of my course, Tedesco (primarily Stiles though), and also a couple other courses in New England.  I had an inkling in one of my above posts that once Wogan had been the pro at ECC for so long, he became synonymous with ECC's success, and was thought to be an expert on all things golf, including design.  I don't see it as much of a stretch that other clubs would hire him for design work...almost a throwback to the early times of design in America where visiting pros who were teachers and clubmakers were asked to lay out courses because they were the only experts.  He always had his responsibilities at ECC, so he never strayed too far.

As for his being Ross's construction assistant or "doing the construction," I don't think that is plausible that he was like we would view a construction foreman today or even back then.  He was trained as a club pro like Ross originally was, so that was his primary function.  After 1913 Ross was a practicing golf course architect with courses being planned up and down the east coast, so I would guess he has other construction help or labor without the use of his former apprentice golf professional.

What Caner's history says to me is that Wogan's most important contribution to ECC's golf course design was his stewardship.  This is almost or equally important as a redesign attribution.  His small number of improvements to ECC were dictated by conditions and ease of maintenance more than anything.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 12:53:32 AM »
Brad
Do you get the impression that Hutchinson's comments were positive? He was critical of Essex and most of the other course he saw in America.

I did not find any mention of how expanded the course in 1899, I suspect the long time pro Joe Lloyd was involved.

There was only the one mention of Hutchinson and C.B. MacDonald's visit to ECC in 1910, so that quote seemed to indicate Hutchinson was excited at the prospect of change.

I would agree that Joe Lloyd was probably involved in the early course layouts, as he is mentioned a few times in the book in that capacity.  Of course, like the supposed Bendelow influence, and any Campbell influence, or influence from Leeds, Dunn, or Travis, there is no direct record of who exactly did what.

For the first 15 years it seemed to be "design by committee!"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 02:46:24 AM »
I believe Willie Campbell played an important early role.  See the following 1893 and 1894 articles.  EDIT:  this may be reposting article(s) by TMac suggested in a post above.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:59:21 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom MacWood

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 06:05:31 AM »
Joe
Thanks for sharing those...they are new to me. Here is the one I posted a few months back.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 06:14:45 AM »
I did some checking and Bendelow was never an assistant at Essex County, in fact I don't believe he was a club pro or assistant at any time.

What makes you so sure?

Sean
Bendelow's life is fairly well documented...I've found an interview with him from the 20s in which explained how he got into golf architecture, and the professional ranks was not part of it. Here is a link to an interview with Stuart Bendelow, his grandson, who wrote his recent biography.

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/stuart-bendelow-september-2002

I've also attached an article from the NY Times in 1898 regarding his indoor golf school....forgive the small print.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 06:23:04 AM »
Brad

There was only the one mention of Hutchinson and C.B. MacDonald's visit to ECC in 1910, so that quote seemed to indicate Hutchinson was excited at the prospect of change.

I would agree that Joe Lloyd was probably involved in the early course layouts, as he is mentioned a few times in the book in that capacity.  Of course, like the supposed Bendelow influence, and any Campbell influence, or influence from Leeds, Dunn, or Travis, there is no direct record of who exactly did what.

For the first 15 years it seemed to be "design by committee!"

That is interesting about Hutchinson. From what I've read he was fairly critical of the courses he visited in America including Essex County. From the articles I linked below my impression was the criticism sparked the changes. I wonder where Caver got his info...perhaps Hutchinson & Macdonald met with Ross on their visit. The first article is from 2.1911 and the second 4.1911.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/AmericanGolfer/1911/ag54j.pdf

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/AmericanGolfer/1911/ag56k.pdf
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:38:21 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 06:57:01 AM »
Hopefully this is a little more readable.

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
Brad Tufts:

That is certainly a fine and detailed course history and design evolution of EC. If George Caner is still around and you know him please congratulate him for me.

Do you belong to EC? If so do you know my old friend Denny Hall? Apparently he was the president of EC some time ago.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »
Here is a link to an article in 1909. The article seems to indicate Joe Lloyd was involved in the improvements prior to Ross becoming the pro in 1910. Caver's contention the Ross was hired in 1908 to make changes doesn't make much sense IMO with Lloyd still in charge. An interesting note about Lloyd, he split his time between Essex (in the summer) and Pau in France (in the winter). I believe he went to Pau full time in 1909 or 1910, which resulted in Ross become Essex's pro.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/AmericanGolfer/1909/ag17l.pdf

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 11:36:41 AM »
At this point, I think I've read everything that's out there and available from "Bunker Hill", the American Golfer's New England contributor to the Eastern Department Section. I wish I knew who the man was as he seemed to have more intimate familiarity with the courses and people he was reporting on than most any of the other American Golfer regular contributors. He also seems extremely "paced" and level-headed in his reportage.

It is also interesting to me that even though he seemed mildly critical of Hutchinson's inconsistent reviews of American courses during his three week visit to the USA, he was nowhere near as vehemently critical towards Hutchinson as was the American Golfer pseudonym writer "Americus" who I've longed believed was Walter Travis himself, the Editor of Amercan Golfer.

It is worth mentioning as well how critical "Bunker Hill" was of the early architectural work of those early immigrant journeymen multi-tasking professional golfers who were part time golf instructors, clubmakers, greenskeepers, architects etc from Scotland, England and Ireland. A couple of times in articles linked on this thread today "Bunker Hill" claimed that it basically took those early "amateurs" (amateur/sportsmen) designers to go abroad themselves and come back with ideas that created the first good architecture over here or at least in the New England area, the beat "Bunker Hill" was reporting on.

It doesn't seem like "Bunker Hill" thought much of Willie Campbell's Franklin Park course either calling it a "poor apology" for a golf course.

Just a bit of spelling house keeping on here----I think that impressive and comprehensive Essex County GC  historian's name was George Caner (according to the good contributor Brad Tufts) and not 'Caver.'  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:44:27 AM by TEPaul »

SBendelow

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 09:49:32 PM »
FYI  Three published articles that indicate Tom Bendelow's involvement at Essex County CC:

New York Times,  November 4, 1895,  page 6
     New York Times,  November 28, 1915,  page S4
     Chicago Daily Tribune,  March 17, 1912,  page C4

I wonder why Bendelow is so often not mentioned in a club's history?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back