News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

GBoring

First Trip to Bandon
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
Leaving tomorrow for my first visit to Bandon.  Any tips from the seasoned veterns from the site?

Jason Topp

Re: First Trip to Bandon
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »
I went there alone and played with different people each round.  I was surprised at how many people got extremely frustrated with poor play and seemed to be having a bad time. 

Relax, have fun, enjoy a special place. 

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:17:06 AM »
Bring your short game or suffer the tortures of the damned.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:23:15 AM »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
This time of year?

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »
as Kalen said bring the rain gear, play ALL the courses, try some different scotches..hard to not have fun there
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 09:59:29 AM »
Take a caddie, at least the first time you play each course.  The local knowledge, color, and other tidbits are well worth the money, even if you're normally disinclined to take one.   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 10:02:16 AM »
Leaving tomorrow for my first visit to Bandon.  Any tips from the seasoned veterns from the site?

Bring two pairs of your most comfortable walking shoes, and expect to get them wet.  You can dry one overnight, and might want to wear the dry pair in the afternoon.  If it's not raining, it will at least be wet in the rough.

Or stay out of the rough!

There is nothing to do there but play golf, drink and eat.  Enjoy!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »

Bring two pairs of your most comfortable walking shoes, and expect to get them wet.  You can dry one overnight, and might want to wear the dry pair in the afternoon.  If it's not raining, it will at least be wet in the rough.

Ahhh come on Bill,

Didn't you catch the double meaning in my last post  "Rain...Gear"    ;D

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 10:05:01 AM »
you will save yourself a lot of strokes and frustration if you only play from around the greens with a putter or rescue club.  I found it extremely difficult to chip in the traditional american fashion with a lofted club from the tight fescue lies around the greens...and whatever you do stay to the left off the tee on #14 on Bandon Trails, even if that means hitting a mid iron....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »

Ahhh come on Bill,

Didn't you catch the double meaning in my last post  "Rain...Gear"    ;D

Huh?   ??? ??? ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 10:18:05 AM »
Take a caddie, at least the first time you play each course.  The local knowledge, color, and other tidbits are well worth the money, even if you're normally disinclined to take one.   

Agreed

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »
Prepare to be blown away! The golf and the accomodations should exceed your expectations.  The only thing that I thought that could be improved a bit was the food, which was good, but not great....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »
This is great time. The weather is part of the experience. When I went the wind barely blew with sunny 70 degrees. I felt I was unfortunate.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

GBoring

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »
We have caddies reserved for all of our rounds.  Two rounds at PD, two rounds at BD, and one on BT.  Thanks Guys

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »
skip one of the BD rounds and get your butts over to Old Mac!!

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 04:57:34 PM »
skip one of the BD rounds and get your butts over to Old Mac!!

When I booked my Bandon trip for next week, they told me Old Mac was closed for play Oct.31?

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 04:58:49 PM »
I know you're almost ready to get on a plane so extra practice is probably hard to come by this afternoon, but hitting some balls off of hardpan is really useful before going to Bandon. The turf is VERY firm and can take some getting used to. Hitting behind the ball is a serious no-no. And hitting anything lofted around the greens is a real challenge. So as you've no doubt heard, brush up on your bump and run skills.

Have a great time. The place really is amazing.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »
We have caddies reserved for all of our rounds.  Two rounds at PD, two rounds at BD, and one on BT.  Thanks Guys

We have the exact same schedule next week!have fun!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 06:17:50 PM »
A friendly bartender once said to me that he estimated that 50--60% of the players he spoke to broke out brand-new golf shoes for their "epic trip" to Bandon...and the vast majority were hobbling after 9 or 18 holes, putting a severe damper on their ability to go round and round.

He was amazed that guys presumably smart/successful/astute enough to GET to Bandon and pay for the whole experience, were so dumb as to take brand-new shoes right outta the box...so the moral of the story is:  Wear golf shoes that are well broken in!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
Yeah - my friend had to buy a pair of Nike Vapors after day one because his shoes were hurting him so bad (you can wear the Vapors out of the box for however many holes your legs can hold you up - I am sure other manufacturers have similar shoes - the focus here is on comfy gear).

Also - If you arrive in the afternoon and will not be heading out - check out shortys and the range and get used to guiding the ball around in heavy winds. Your putter and 3 iron can become very good friends from 100+ yards out.

Enjoy!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 06:42:59 PM »
I am also planning my first trip to Bandon. Assuming I will play 36 per day for 5 days, and want to play PD, BT and OM at least  twice each, what would you suggest for the other 4 rounds? Would you play all rounds at the resort, or leave the resort for a round or two?

I like taking caddies, but wonder if pull carts are also used. Thx!

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 06:56:35 PM »
I am also planning my first trip to Bandon. Assuming I will play 36 per day for 5 days, and want to play PD, BT and OM at least  twice each, what would you suggest for the other 4 rounds? Would you play all rounds at the resort, or leave the resort for a round or two?

I like taking caddies, but wonder if pull carts are also used. Thx!

I'm playing a warmup round at bandon crossings the afternoon I get there, I'm pretty sure pull carts are allowed, but I've read it can be tricky getting them from green to tee.

Ben Sims

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
Greg,

1) Listen to your caddies
2) Hit a ball into the ocean on 16 tee at Bandon Dunes
3) Drink three different kinds of Scotch, slowly, outside in the elements if they'll let you take the glass outside
4) Stare at 15 green at Bandon Trails and chuckle at why everyone loves C&C so much
5) Stare at the tee shot on 6 at Pacific Dunes and chuckle at why everyone loves Renaissance Golf so much.
6) Find way to get over to the Sheep Ranch.  Spend four hours hitting the ball around, having a beer or two, and visiting with friends.  And God please don't keep a score!
7) Play the preview at Old Mac, and smile for two hours straight. 
8) Eat the meatloaf
9) Hit shiny white Titleist NXT Tour balls at the range.  Wish that your local course had a practice area as good as Bandon's.
10) Have a few too many, and at midnight, walk down 18 and 17 to the 16th green at Bandon Dunes and go scream at the ocean and the wind.  Realize how powerless you really are in the face of that incomprehensibly big ocean.

But if you do none of those things.  Do this one.  Enjoy every moment.  There is no place on earth like it.

Ross Waldorf

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 07:45:55 PM »
Bill:

Well, for one thing, play Bandon Dunes! And yes, pull carts are fine and Bandon is probably the only place you'll ever go where they'll let you pull them across the greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back