News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Glen Cannon Golf Club, NC mountains
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:23 AM »
A friend of mine is researching golf clubs in the western NC mountains for a summer second home.  Does anyone know anything about Glen Cannon Golf Club near Brevard?

Steve Okula

Re: Glen Cannon Golf Club, NC mountains
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »
I lived within 200 yards of Glen Cannon from 1986-89. It was an unremarkable 18 hole parkland course back then, mediocre in every respect, but of course, a lot can change in 20 years.

Adam Messix is on the DG and lives in that area, maybe he has more up-to-date info.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:24:08 PM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
I lived within 200 yards of Glen Cannon from 1986-89. It was an unremarkable 18 hole parkland course back then, mediocre in every respect, but of course, a lot can change in 20 years.

Adam Messix is on the DG and lives in that area, maybe he has more up-to-date info.

What I figured based on the cost of membership quoted on their website.

It's hard to find a place you'd want to be a member of up there if you like to walk.  Most are way too hilly, and the few I know that aren't are way too expensive!

bill_k

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 06:50:11 PM »
I grew up in the area and have played Glen Cannon many, many times. I would classify it as "sporty"...within the context of golf in Western North Carolina. It has a few neat holes and some that are mediocre. The greens are small and many are steeply canted...and therefore can be terrifying when the speed is up. It has been semi-private, member-owned as long as I have been aware of it. I believe they had some financial issues a couple of years ago and let their pro go...that is all I know about the club's present situation.
It is one of the better public access courses in WNC...but in nowhere near the same class as Highlands, Biltmore Forest, Hendersonville CC, or any of the good private courses in the area.
There are quite a few good players that call Glen Cannon home...and there are some really good games on set days where 20-30 guys show up, choose teams, and go play.
Not the best course in the world, but if you lived in Brevard or Hendersonville and enjoy a reasonably good, fun golf course and always having a great game...you could do a lot worse.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:58:35 PM by bill_korteum »

bill_k

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
Bill,
I just reread your second post...Glen Cannon is set in a valley and actually has very little elevation change...it is very walkable.
Also within the same range of quality of club/course and cost would be Springdale CC in Canton, Laurel Ridge CC in Waynesville, and High Vista CC in Arden...all of which are West of Brevard and not nearly as walkable as Glen Cannon...
High Vista and Laurel Ridge are both readily accessible by interstate while the other two are at least a thirty minute drive from the nearest four-lane highway.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:01:40 PM by bill_korteum »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 07:36:39 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  I appreciate your thoughts and will pass them on to my pal.  It will be good if he find the right club up there because we will go up a couple of times in the summer and mooch off them!

Adam_Messix

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
I haven't been to Glen Cannon in at least 6 years, but what I remember about it is that it's a fun members course in nice condition.  There is very little of note on the course with the exception of the last green, which has a significant backstop in the back on the green.  It is reasonably walkable, too.

Big plus for Glen Cannon is that it's reasonably close to Asheville and the weather is pretty nice for 12 months. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 11:03:27 PM »
Thanks, Adam, hope all's well with you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back