News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

New book: "Tom Morris of St. Andrews: The Colossus of Golf"
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:52:35 AM »
A new book will shortly be available on OTM. The title is "Tom Morris of St. Andrews: The Colossus of Golf 1821-1908" by by David Malcolm & Peter Crabtree.

It's will soon be available on Amazon for £35.

Hardcover: 350 pages
Publisher: Birlinn Ltd (31 Oct 2009)
Language English
ISBN-10: 1841588180
ISBN-13: 978-1841588186

Has anyone got any info on the authors? I don't want to fork out £35 on a dud book written by guys that are not thorough and meticulous about facts.

Dónal.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: New book: "Tom Morris of St. Andrews: The Colossus of Golf"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:44:22 AM »

Dónal.

The book was issued last year in a very limited edition, what you are referring to I believe is the new paperback or general copy being released. For details on the original check out the following web links

http://www.rhodmcewan.com/tom_morris/index.htm & http://www.rhodmcewan.com/tom_morris/pdfs/tom_morris_flyer.pdf

Hope it is of some help

Melvyn

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 07:53:22 AM »
Thanks Melvyn, however I note that, not for the first time, you haven't offered your opinin as to it's worth as a book on a most important subject.

What alternatives are there available, I wasn't afan of Tommy Honour, and would love to know more?

Let's make GCA grate again!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 08:08:31 AM »
Melvyn:

The one on sale on Amazon will be a hardback copy. I wonder if it will provide any new information or is just a glossy rehash of what we already know.

Dónal.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:25:49 AM »
Tony

As with any book it depends upon the author(s) and the intended direction they take.  Having provided some minor information and photos, I am generally very impressed with the overall package. As to how Old Tom is viewed and the reasons behind some of the details leaves me wondering. I don’t recall some of the information and feel others details are missing. However, as I said it depends on the intention of the author(s).

My greatest disappointment is the lack of his design information, the courses he had a hand in designing or modifying, just not included, which was as much about the man as his Championships. There are a couple of Chapters that I feel had no place in the book, one on Strath and one on my great grandfather James Hunter, although I suppose he has more relevance than Strath.

Having undertaken my own research on the design connections, I have been surprised, no shocked at the lack of accurate information I have received from the R&A, in fact I have provided more details information.
Classic example is The New Course and Old Tom’s involvement, the information I received from them was wrong, Oh yes, so was the details re the Jubilee course and its extension. More of that at a later date.

A definitive book on Old Tom as I was told, alas not IMHO but certainly interesting and certainly worth £35 of anyone money. As for the original limited books, well worth the money for a collector as I am certain the value will increase over the years beating W.W. Tullocks’s 1907 book The Life of Tom Morris.

Having said that my book has pride of place in my collection enhanced by the illustration some 300 in the limited editions.

Dónal.

I was aware of talk to publish a paperback copy a year or two after the original but with limited illustrations. Perhaps this £35 copy is this new paperback version.  I do not see anyone selling any of the 395 copies originally costing £395 or the 86 (age of OTM when he died) super limited copies costing £950 for £35.

Melvyn

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:54:46 AM »
Dónal.

I was aware of talk to publish a paperback copy a year or two after the original but with limited illustrations. Perhaps this £35 copy is this new paperback version.  I do not see anyone selling any of the 395 copies originally costing £395 or the 86 (age of OTM when he died) super limited copies costing £950 for £35.

Melvyn

Melvyn:

It's definitely a hardback version that will be available for £35, but I assume it's not as special as the £395 limited edition version.

Dónal.

Andy Levett

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 06:06:32 PM »
What alternatives are there available, I wasn't a fan of Tommy Honour, and would love to know more?
Robert Kroeger's book seemed a good start on Tom Morris's golf courses. I got a loan from the British Library via my local library.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »

I love Bob’s book “The Golf Courses of Old Tom Morris”, it’s a great read but regrettable it has a few errors. In addition, although he did some detailed research he left off many courses by Old Tom. The overall list with courses either designed or modified, well my current list is around the 100 mark and still the odd course is still being found.

I still believe Bob’s book (published in 1995) to be good and love his format, which is most helpful if your interest are in the early history of GB&I courses. In fact, I have been trying to get him to update his book, but alas, he has other commitments at the moment. 

Melvyn

Christoph Meister

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »

Hi Donal,

At GBP 35.00 the hardcover version is certainly a good read and a good buy - I only know the limited edition, which I really enjoyed  with all the illustrations, many of them haven't published before or at least I did not know them. Someone like Melvyn can certainly better judge the quality of the contents than I can, but for the British Golf Collectors society at least it was the best book on the history of the game published in 2009 and this summer the authors David Malcolm and Peter Crabtree received the traditional Murdoch medal for it...

Christoph
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Andy Levett

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
Melvin,
Excuse my ignorance. Am I right in thinking the new book "Tom Morris of St. Andrews: The Colossus of Golf 1821-1908" by David Malcolm & Peter Crabtree corrects architectural errors in Robert Kroeger's book. Can you give some examples?

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 06:50:51 PM »

I love Bob’s book “The Golf Courses of Old Tom Morris”, it’s a great read but regrettable it has a few errors. In addition, although he did some detailed research he left off many courses by Old Tom. The overall list with courses either designed or modified, well my current list is around the 100 mark and still the odd course is still being found.

I still believe Bob’s book (published in 1995) to be good and love his format, which is most helpful if your interest are in the early history of GB&I courses. In fact, I have been trying to get him to update his book, but alas, he has other commitments at the moment.  

Melvyn

I too love the approach of Kroeger's book and hoped the revised Moreton book on Braid would be much more in this vein.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:04:22 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »

Andy

Tom Morris book by David & Peter is about the life of Old Tom with very little about his design involvement, but Bobs book was about some of his courses.

Bobs error is that in 1995 only a limited of course where know to be connected with Old Tom, due to clubs missing or records going up in flames.

I have been undertaken some research over the last couple of years have  uncovered many courses with Old Tom design input. Courses like Strathlene Buckie, Kirby Muxloe, King Edward Bay, Rothesay, Royal Guernsey to name but a few.

As for Bob’s errors,  we need to look at the Isle of Man course total of 4 but one moved away for 38 years before returning to within a mile of the course mention in Bobs book Duchess Head was actually Douglas GC – Old Tom designed 4 course on the Isle of Man. Also Machrie was not by Old Tom his course was a few miles further down the read called Uisguintine and designed in 1896 not 1891. Hanger Hill, Old Tom was at the opening but not designed by him

These are just a few examples but It does not take away most of Bob’s book which I enjoyed and is indeed worth reading.

Melvyn

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »
How good, bad or great this book might be I cannot say, as I've never seen it.  But--I can tell you it was the recipient of the USGA Book Award in 2008:         http://www.usga.org/news/2009/February/-Tom-Morris-Of-St--Andrews-Wins-2008-USGA-Book-Award/

There are only 2 significant awards given annually for golf books.  One is the USGA Award, the other is the ING (International Network of Golf) Book of the Year Award.  My latest, Pete Dye --Golf Courses, took the latter in 2008, but we missed out with the USGA.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 08:33:19 PM »

Joel

I think it lost out to 'Tommy's Honour' by Kevin Cook in 2008

Melvyn

Tom MacWood

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 10:38:55 PM »

Andy

Tom Morris book by David & Peter is about the life of Old Tom with very little about his design involvement, but Bobs book was about some of his courses.

Bobs error is that in 1995 only a limited of course where know to be connected with Old Tom, due to clubs missing or records going up in flames.

I have been undertaken some research over the last couple of years have  uncovered many courses with Old Tom design input. Courses like Strathlene Buckie, Kirby Muxloe, King Edward Bay, Rothesay, Royal Guernsey to name but a few.

As for Bob’s errors,  we need to look at the Isle of Man course total of 4 but one moved away for 38 years before returning to within a mile of the course mention in Bobs book Duchess Head was actually Douglas GC – Old Tom designed 4 course on the Isle of Man. Also Machrie was not by Old Tom his course was a few miles further down the read called Uisguintine and designed in 1896 not 1891. Hanger Hill, Old Tom was at the opening but not designed by him

These are just a few examples but It does not take away most of Bob’s book which I enjoyed and is indeed worth reading.

Melvyn

Melvyn
How does one document Old Tom's life and career and ignore his involvement in golf course design and development? I'm sure The Colosuss is well researched and beautifully produced, but that has to be disappointing to you and other admirers of OTM the golf architect.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 04:30:01 AM »
Tom

You always do it. You have become an artist at conveying disinformation.

I did not say “ignore his involvement in golf course design and development”  I think my words were “with very little about his design involvement”.

One day you will get over this thing you have about Old Tom as it does you no credit, in fact it must reflect or perhaps raise questions on all your opinions on all the others including Horace. 

Melvyn
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:02:06 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 06:41:04 AM »
Melvyn
Were you disappointed there was very little of that massive book devoted to his design career?

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »

Joel

I think it lost out to 'Tommy's Honour' by Kevin Cook in 2008

Melvyn

MM---"Tommy's Honor" won the USGA Award in 2007.

Here's the complete list of winners, year-by-year:

Past Recipients of the Herbert Warren Wind Award

2008 - David Malcolm & Peter E. Crabtree, Tom Morris of St. Andrews: The Colossus of Golf 1821-1908
2007 - Kevin Cook, Tommy’s Honor
2006 - James Finegan, Where Golf Is Great
2005 - John Strege, When War Played Through
2004 - James Dodson, Ben Hogan, An American Life
2003 - Phil Pilley, Heather and Heaven
2002 - Mark Frost, The Greatest Game Ever Played
2001 - Bradley S. Klein, Discovering Donald Ross: The Architect and His Golf Courses
2000 - Stephen Lowe, Sir Walter and Mr. Jones
1999 - David Owen, The Making of the Masters
1998 - Lawrence Donegan, Maybe It Should Have Been a Three-Iron
1997 - Davis Love III, Every Shot I Take
1992 - Rhonda Glenn, The Illustrated History of Women’s
1991 - Bobby Burnet, The St. Andrews Opens
1990 - Robert Trent Jones Sr. with Larry Dennis, Golf’s Magnificent Challenge
1989 - Phil Pilley, Golfing Art
1987 - Al Barkow, Getting to the Dance Floor

No award was given in 1988 or from 1993-1996.

Jay Carstens

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 02:19:21 PM »
Any news on the regular release date yet? It's been a couple of months now and I couldn't find anything further online.
Play the course as you find it

Jay Carstens

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Any news on the standard version release date yet? It's been a couple of months now and I couldn't find anything further online.

Dave Maberry

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »

The following is available from Amazon:
Publisher: Birlinn Ltd  Release: March 15, 2010

Jay Carstens

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
Thanks Dave.  :-X  The publisher's site has a little more, saying June 2010.  Coming soon and looking forward to reading it.

Jay Carstens

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »
Here's a link to their site.  You can also leave an email ad. to be reminded when it's released.

http://www.birlinn.co.uk/book/details/Tom-Morris-of-St-Andrews-9781841588186/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back