News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

Huntsman Springs - ID - New Kidd Course
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:13:42 PM »
Has anyone played HS yet? I don't recall seeing anything about it in the magazines yet.

Sounds like it was open for play for at least a few months this season.

The setting is off the hook.

http://www.dmkgolfdesign.com/portfolio-huntsman.aspx

Pete_Pittock

Re: Huntsman Springs - ID - New Kidd Course
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:01:35 AM »
According to this article the hard opening isn't until next spring. Nice LOL early in the article.

http://www.jacksonholenet.com/golf_courses/huntsman_springs_golf_course_club.php

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:09:44 AM »
LOL indeed - I am guessing a golfer did not write that - what is a "golfing store"?

I don't think Kidd would ever claim that he designed "St. Andrew's" either - wow.

I heard that they have had some preview play out there - similar to Prarie Club.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »
"....eighteen regulated holes...."

That's a lot of environmentally sensitive areas.

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »
I agree this has been under the radar.

Anyone know more about the project or what projected membership costs are?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »
I haven't had the pleasure of playing it yet, just had a lot of fun working on it......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:42:43 AM »
Awesome pics -- thanks for posting Joe.

Driggs is on the other side of the Jackson Hole area in Idaho -- less congested for sure.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
This looks perfect.  Wide fairways, rolling terian, beautiful vistas!

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »
I run a golf league in my hometown and we finish the year with the Hiskey Cup (The Hiskey family is Idaho most famous golfing family with Babe Hiskey being the most decorated of the clan) where we in the past have travelled up to the Driggs/Victor area for a 36 hole match play event.  I contacted Huntsman Springs about hosting our group for our September 9th event and the Manager told me that the tees, greens, and fairways were in great shape and very playable and that there were just three holes on the back nine that didn't yet have sand in the bunkers.  They only have 11 carts which wasn't enough to handle our sized group so we ended up at Headwaters (Teton Springs) instead.  Huntsman Springs is very walkable but we didn't have enough guys that were willing to walk 36 holes.  I've been to the property but that is it.  The reports from people my friends that live in the area say that the course is fantastic.  I was going to try and get up there this fall but never pulled it off but will play it next year for sure.

The course has a nice variety of lengths, for example, the par 3s from the tips range from 114 - 211 yards, par 4s 340 - 489 yards, par 5s 572 - 659 yards.  You can see the scorecard here:  http://www.huntsmansprings.com/pdfs/scorecard.pdf

I hope it does well.  I know some of the Huntsman family from my time in Houston and they are an amazing family and fortunately have deep pockets so hopefully they can make this project work but that area is really struggling from a real estate perspective.  The population of Driggs/Victor can't be much more than 3,000 and there are 4-5 courses plus a new Greg Norman course (River Rim) going in.  Driggs/Victor was getting the spill over from Jackson Hole 5-6 years ago when real estate prices around Jackson were causing all the billionaires to "kick out" the millionaires and this pocket in Idaho (30 minutes from Jackson) seemed like a perfect 2nd option.  Teton Springs (Headwaters) went in and did well initially but then the real estate market began to suffer and now you can find foreclosed homes all around the golf course.  Teton Reserve and Hunstman Springs started making plans to do their developments while the market was still good but by the time they were ready to open the market fell flat.

Teton Reserve, Hale Irwin reversible routing, ended up having to open as a public course because they couldn't land anywhere near enough members to cover operation expenses.  It was closed at the beginning of the year and then made arrangements to open up to the public and try to generate some revenue.  Huntsman Springs has 2-3 people working there and have eliminated their entire sales force since hardly anything is selling for a respectable price in the area.  River Rim claims they will be opening in 2010 but I haven't been out to the property to see how progress is coming along.

The season is VERY short up there in Teton country so it can be a challenge to make a golf course profitable.  Last year they weren't able to open until after June 1st and by this time of the year they have snow.  Teton Springs has offered some more affordable memberships to try and generate revenue and try to appeal to more locals.  Not sure what the Huntsman Springs membership initiation fee will be but they will make a big push next year with their grand opening I'm sure.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
Awesome pics -- thanks for posting Joe.

Driggs is on the other side of the Jackson Hole area in Idaho -- less congested for sure.

That whole area up there is quite open.

I go up there a few times per year as I have a daughter who attends BYU-Idaho in Rexburg and a brother who lives there as well.  When I get up there next spring I'll have to see if I can give it a play as Driggs isn't very far away.

Sean Eidson

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »
Looks like a neat course to play and there's something exciting about having the place all to yourself because it's so remote.

For those of you up in that area, when is the best time to be playing up there?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
This course looks great from the pictures. I too hope they find a way to hang on while the markets stabalize

Jim Colton

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 12:24:38 PM »
"Driggs, Idaho, is home to the Huntsman Springs Golf Course & Club, a vast facility that has world acclaim. Built by the same designer as St. Andrew's in Scotland, it sits in the shadows of the Grand Teton Mountain Range and offers classical golfing for all abilities and ages, as well as exceptional facilities."

This just confirms it...DMK is God!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 12:28:45 PM »
"I'm on a Kidd!"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »
I get it. Just another Wine Valley wanna be!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Shane Wright

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »

Lead shaper was Jim Haley who also did Bandon, Nanea, and Queenwood (England) with DMK

Shane Wright

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »

forgot TPC San Fran (Stonebrae)

Lead shaper was Jim Haley who also did Bandon, Nanea, and Queenwood (England) with DMK

Rob Rigg

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »
Fellow Treehouser Nick Schaan might be able to add some color as well - he stops in from time to time - not sure if he was working on HS with you Joe?

The pictures seem to show a lot of what I like about Kidd designed courses without some of the factors that I tend to dislike.

ie) It looks fun, challenging and aesthetically interesting - but it does not look as over the top as some of his other projects that have really polarized members of the site (ie - The Castle and Tetherow).

It also looks like the greens are interesting but not "extreme", which should make them a lot of fun to play - and while it looks like an F&F course, it does not have a lot of raised greens like Tetherow which is probably my biggest issue there (although I definitely enjoy Tetherow on an "overall" basis despite the rather long walk).

Joe Hancock

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »
Nick was the lead guy from DMK on site. He was there almost every day throughout construction. He hates to lose at ping pong and golf....and probably anything else, for that matter.  :)

Jim Haley wasn't just doing some shaping on this project, he headed up all the golf course construction as the contractor. There's a lot more headaches as the contractor than the guy having all the fun on the dozer, I can assure you! Jim was awesome to work for.

The other two (more)primary shapers while I was there was Scott Clem and Joe Burnatt(sp?). The fellowship was a big plus on this project.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »
The fellowship was a big plus on this project.

Joe

I'm sure it was Joe, as I remember you didn't post much, if at all, while you were away working in Idaho.

The place looks fantastic.  My wife brought me home a copy of Executive Golfer from her recent trip to China and the cover feature was about this club.  In reading about Mr. Huntsman, he sounds like a real salt of the earth human being.  I hope the club is a success.

Thanks for the pics.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 01:37:39 PM »

I'm sure it was Joe, as I remember you didn't post much, if at all, while you were away working in Idaho.

You're paying way too much attention to the wrong guy..... :)

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 04:57:19 PM »
Joe,

Any insight into the construction (i.e. amount of dirt moved, terrain on the ground as it was found, etc., etc.)?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 08:05:41 PM »
is this private or public? looks like it would be worth the drive

Rob Rigg

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 10:36:35 PM »
Ryan,

According to the website it is "private" but I would be surprised if the did not do what a lot of these other "private" second home communities do and provide tee times for the public each day, even if it is only a block of an hour or two. Not only does it add cash flow but it helps them spread the word.

I think the model at Prarie Club is fantastic - they reserve a course for the members and make the other one semi-private.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 10:54:12 PM »
Joe,

Any insight into the construction (i.e. amount of dirt moved, terrain on the ground as it was found, etc., etc.)?

I came into the project halfway, so I'm going to wait for Nick to come in and answer the technicalities.

Joe

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back