News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Re: LOVE AT FIRST SITE
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 09:37:04 AM »
Easy question for me.  Four golf courses fit that description for me.  In chronological order:

Pumpkin Ridge - Witch Hollow
Bandon Dunes
Merion
Riviera

None of the four is currently in my top five favorite courses.

Good question, Anthony.

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
Brora-went right back to the first tee.
Palmetto-especially when the fairways were unirrigated and the roughs were scrubby and sandy(less after the Reestoration, more now that's it deReesed,Doaked and Hansed, but still not as much as when I first played it).
Forest Hills Augusta (then the Palmer company and an unnamed associate desecrated it  :( :()
Portsalon!!!
North Berwick
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tony Weiler

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:22 AM »
Sutton Bay. 

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
Enniscrone
Merion

David Stamm

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 09:55:39 AM »
There are a few for me, but the one that pops to mind is the one that got me into architecture in the first place. Pasatiempo. It made me ask questions to myself, the first of which was "What the hell did I just see?". Every time I've played there since, I doff my cap on the 6th fw to the Good Doctor's old home and after my round I toast his genius. Pasatiempo is genesis for me.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Don Hyslop

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »
1. Highland Links, Cape Breton
2. Links at Crowbush Cove, PEI
3. Eagles Glen, PEI
4. Green Gables, PEI
5. Algonquin, St. Andrews, New Brunswick

Just a few that make my heart speed up as I near the entrance to the course.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 10:06:37 AM »
Kingston Heath
Garden City
Lytham and St.Annes
Tarbat GC
Machrihanish

jonathan_becker

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
Anthony,

In no particular order

Anywhere on the Monterey Peninsula
Brookside
Stone Eagle
Kiawah Ocean (I'm a sucker for the low country)
Canterbury (pure old school)

I could probably name another dozen.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 11:15:36 AM »
North Berwick was totally different to any golf course I had played previously, and was definitely love at first sight.  Each return trip was always eagerly anticipated.

I didn't think I would ever find anywhere better than North Berwick until we first visited Dornoch, which took my breath away.

My first visit to Notts GC (Hollinwell) showed me how good inland golf could be.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
Elks Country Club, Lewistown, MT, Bill Diddel
I was in 5th or 6th grade.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:26:57 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Salmen

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Anthony,

I was at the 1987 US Open at Olympic.  At 15 years, the course made a huge impression on me.  It was not until 18 years later that I was able to play it.  Special day to say the least.

I could not believe how spectacular the Dunes Club was.  I refer to it as Little Golfing Paradise.

I wouldn't have a heartbeat if I said Chicago did not make the heart beat a little faster.

Dornoch is such a cool place: the locals, the town, and the golf course.  People come to Dornoch's hospitality from all over the world.  But when you walk down to the third tee and the course and the sea open below you, you know you're in a very special place in the world of golf.

Muirfield is my #1.  The first links course I played left the biggest impression.  I've taken friends to Scotland and had them play Machrihanish first.  That course seems to make a huge impression.

Steve

Ash Towe

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »
CPC-It is so great
Muirfield
Sand Hills
Ballyneal
The Bandon complex
Plainfield

No surprises with the above except perhaps Plainfield but that is a course I would love to be a member.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 02:29:25 PM »
Cruden Bay

Brian,

This is your most inteligent post. Well down.

Anthony

Tim Leahy

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 02:37:03 PM »
Olympic Club with those great trees and the sound of your driver echoing off them and Riviera's Kukuyu fairways and par 3 sixth with the trap in the green.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »
I was absolutely floored the first time I saw Ballyhack.  Playing it left me speechless.

WW

Jeff Martz

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
Having made my first trip to Michigan, I'd have to say Crystal Downs.  It's really the only "great" course I've had the opportunity to play.
"To design courses that can be enjoyed even when you're playing badly, and that will stand the test of time, is the art of golf architecture." -- Tom Doak

BVince

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »
Yale.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

TEPaul

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
BryonV:

Where have you been in the last five years or so?  ;) Good to see you back.

Doug Wright

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »
Obvious: Pine Valley, Pacific Dunes, Cruden Bay (sort of obvious I guess), Royal County Down

Not So Obvious:  Oak Hill East. I played it in a college tourney and it was the first "major Championship course" I'd played. I was blown away.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 08:04:32 PM »
Black Mesa, I was in love with it before we had a routing, and that includes the next 18.

Andrew Jenkins

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2009, 08:31:29 PM »
Grindstone Neck, a little gem in Winter Harbor, Me was the third or fourth course I ever played, and the first on the ocean was what got me hooked on golf (the 75 or so I shot notwithstand - its a nine holer ;)).

http://www.grindstonegolf.com/

Tony Ristola

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »
So many... these are from early in my career... some 30+years ago.
The first decent courses I'd played.

Victoria GC, BC... up to the 10th hole I remember thinking... Coooooooooool. The 2nd hole, a simple inland par-3 with the wind-burnt trees started it all.

Royal Colwood... except for 12 and 13 (I think)... the holes with the creek. Back then I remember these holes looking forced and a little out of chracter with the remainder of the course. Would be interesting to go back an have a look.

Vancouver Club. Before the changes. I was interested to play "Grave", the 16th hole written about in The World Atlas of Golf. Have to say i was a little disappointed.
Funny story. I was 18, my first round there. A family friend set me up for a winter game with a member and his buddies. He had me as a 10hcp, though I was a 1 and said... don't hit it too good off the first tee. I got up... relaxed... ready to follow orders, but my relaxed miss was a bomb down the middle. A 9-iron and putt later his buddies were looking at him knowing what was up. I was 3 or 4 under on the front, and we were sailing along until the other guys caught fire. I was 1 under for the round and we lost... damn did they laugh in the men's grill.

Jim Tang

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »
For me, Pacific Dunes.

Prior to playing it a few years after it opened, I had read everything I could on the course, prowled the web for pictures, talked to people who had already played it, thought about it, dreamed about it, for one solid year before playing it.

On the flight over I began to worry that there was no way this place could actually live up to my expectations.  I prepared myself for a letdown.

Pacific Dunes exceeded my expectations and it is the course that completely changed my view on golf courses and what I think they should be about.  It is a very special place, just wonderful.

JC Jones

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2009, 10:33:01 PM »
Pacific Dunes for me....it was like a revealation...and I didn't even have a chance to play it, I was just driving thru at the time.  When I saw the 1st tee, that bunker to the right of 18 green, the practice putting green, and the 7th green it was a big Wow moment for me.

ditto
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2009, 10:39:04 PM »
Augusta National
Paako Ridge, NM
Troon North, AZ

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back