News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

GCA Mock Fantasy Draft - NEED JUDGES
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »
With the NBA season starting tomorrow, I'm going through fantasy hoops withdrawal.  Is anybody up for a fantasy GCA draft?  Hopefully, I can get 8-10 willing participants.

Here are the ground rules.  With your pick, you get to select one architect and up to three courses he designed or co-designed.  An architect can be picked again later on in the draft with a pick of three other courses.  The Old Course would be a pick in and of itself.

We'll snake draft for however many rounds is prudent and at the end, your collective picks will represent the portfolio of courses you'd get to play for the rest of your life.

Any takers?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:12:15 AM by Jim Colton »

Jud_T

Re: GCA Mock Fantasy Draft
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
I'm in...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:21:36 PM »
Sounds funny... sign me up!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 01:34:53 PM »
Yes!!!!!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »
Im a fantasy junkie so count me in.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
Why don't we do it this way...we'll go in the order of responses for the first round.  So Jud first, followed by Jaeger, Jay and JC.  Anyone else can participate after JC's pick by chiming in with their selection (or responding that you're in before JC picks).  Once we reach a critical mass or the thread dies out, I'll finish up the first round and start the snaked second round w/ my picks.

Jud is on the clock...

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
AMac:

Crystal Downs
Cypress
Palmetto
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
Point of clarification, how does a course like Pine Valley or Augusta National work if they are collaborations.  I understand Coore/Crenshaw will be one, but what about when you have an otherwise individual archie that paired with someone on a project?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:09:58 PM »
JC - If it's a co-design, you can claim the course with your pick using either architect.  Once a course is picked, it's off the board.

Jaeger is on the clock...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:12:04 PM by Jim Colton »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »
I'm taking a break at work, so I won't have time to monitor the upcoming picks.

So, I'll give mine and if someone takes them, that is fine...since I'll give two seperate rounds of picks.

#1--Dye...Kiawah Ocean, Pete Dye Golf Club of WV, and The Golf Club.

In case someone takes Mr. Dye and/or his courses, I'll hit a provisional...

#2--Drew Rogers...Oitavaos Dunes, Olde Stone, Country Club of Columbus (original Ross re-designed by Rogers).

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 02:16:05 PM »
Am I up? 

Raynor:

National, Fishers, Sleepy Hollow
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »
I think Jay should be disqualified for trying to pass off National as a Raynor design.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 02:25:13 PM »
No way...What do we do about all the courses that Raynor started but banks finished?  Who gets those?  Duly noted, but summarily overruled, Tom. ;D

If Jim likes, I'll share national with whoever wants Macdonald.

So...who wants Jim Urbina? ;D

DMoriarty

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
Am I up?  

Raynor:

National, Fishers, Sleepy Hollow

No way...What do we do about all the courses that Raynor started but banks finished?  Who gets those?  Duly noted, but summarily overruled, Tom. ;D

If Jim likes, I'll share national with whoever wants Macdonald.

Macdonald has been maligned enough already without this garbage hasn't he?   Macdonald finished NGLA.   All Raynor did was screw up the look of the bunkers.

Hey Tom Doak, how's Old Raynor coming along?  

And please note you have been summarily overruled by Jay Flemma.  And on matters relating to Macdonald and Raynor.  It ought to be taken as a compliment, really.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:32:39 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Alex Miller

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »
Count me in please! And if this truly a FANTASY draft, is the old Lido Golf Club on the board?  ;D

Jim Colton

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 02:38:10 PM »
Before this gets out of hand, I'll set some ground rules.

Not saying these are definitive sources, but just so we're all on a common ground, the designer has to be listed on record by one of these:

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/

http://search.golf.com/top-courses-and-resorts/top-100-us-courses-2009.html

http://search.golf.com/top-courses-and-resorts/top-100-world-courses-2009.html

http://www.golfdigest.com/courses/100greatestgolfcourses

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2009/jun/15/2009-golfweeks-best-modern-courses/?RANKINGS-GolfweeksBest#

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2009/jun/30/2009-golfweeks-best-classic-courses/

http://www.golfblog100.com :)

CB Mac is listed for NGLA.  Jay, you'll have to revise your pick when it's your turn (Jaeger is up).

So far, we've had one pick:

1. JUD: MacKenzie - Crystal Downs, Cypress Point, Palmetto
2. Jaeger
3. Jay
4. JC
5. Mac - on autodraft
6. Alex

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 02:42:23 PM »
Most people would have let this simmer for MORE THAN EIGHT SECONDS before excluding everyone else.  You guys in a hurry?  What about the rest of us who work for a living?

I'm in, bee tee dubs.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Colton

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 02:47:11 PM »
First round is still open, Ron.  Nobody's excluded.  You have the 7th pick.  I could've waited for enough participants and randomized the draft order, but does it really matter?  This way, the first round will stay open as long as people keep throwing their names in.

1. JUD: MacKenzie - Crystal Downs, Cypress Point, Palmetto
2. Jaeger
3. Jay
4. JC
5. Mac - on autodraft
6. Alex
7. Ron

Mac Plumart

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »
At work analyzing recessions going back to the 1800's, looking at GDP, unemployment, doing regressions, and PICKING FANTASY GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life ain't so bad!!!

Back to work...good idea Jim...nice to have an interesting diversion during the day!

As an interesting aside, can Tom Doak pick Tom Doak?  Seems a little unfair, doesn't it? :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »
Not really interested in playing fantasy anything, but I think I would be quite happy picking Mike Nuzzo and playing Wolf Point for the rest of my days...

Too bad Jax isn't around to call me a suck-up, maybe I'll merit a Twitter mention. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »
I'm IN Jim

Tim Bert

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »
Eight is my lucky number so I will sign up for that spot. Have you arranged acces for us at our picks?  As long as we holdto the standard of never playing another course, of course.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 03:11:46 PM »
I will take CBM - National, Shinnecock and Fishers

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »
Count me in Jim. And we definitely should have thrown together a GCA.com hoops league.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »
Wait a minute:  Jaeger...CBM didn't do Shinny!

Fine.  I'll take Mike Strantz.

MPCC (Shore), Bulls Bay, Tobacco Road

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back