News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Aus and NZ Sticker Shock - Help!
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:30:39 AM »
My wife and I will be coming downunder (from Canada) from December 19 to Jan 10.  I haven't got the itinerary worked out yet, but had hoped to play some of the famous courses such as Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Barnbougle, and Cape Kidnappers.  Sadly, as I checked out access to these fine courses I was shocked by the price - over $300 at RM, KH and CK.  Gulp.  My wife is not that keen a golfer, and likely won't want to pay those prices (or even pay for me to play them).  Could our Aussie friends suggest some good linksy tracks that are priced a little more reasonably.  I guess St Andrew's Bay would fit in that category.  Hopefully Barnbougle.

We're arriving into and departing from Brisbane.  I expect we'll head south to Sydney and Melbourne and on to Tasmania.  Not sure yet if we'll make it to NZ.  Any suggestions through those areas would be appreciated.  Looking at maybe 6 or 7 rounds. 

Scott Macpherson

Re: Aus and NZ Sticker Shock - Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:33:06 AM »
Bryan,

If cash is an issue, head to NZ for your golf. It is cheaper there, and there are some very good courses. e..g Paraparaumu Beach Golf Club (Fly into Wellington), or if you want an adventure, go to the 'southern-most links in the world' in Invercargill. Only about US$10 for a course equivalent to the final qualifying course for the British Open (Open Championship).

Those courses in Aus are great though.

scott

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:27:29 AM »
Bryan

I sympathize with your plight.  One course that always looked cool to me is http://www.bhgc.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml, but its on the opposite point of Mornington Pen.  I spose there may be a ferry connecting to Mornington.   

Another course which always intrigued me is http://www.portseagolf.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml

Ciao 

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sean Walsh

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 06:44:57 AM »
Bryan,

Our inflated exchange rate is not helping I'm sure.  The good news is:

St Andrews Beach has just opened as a public track
Midweek top rate $49 per round $69 per day, really good value that.
http://www.standrewsbeachgolf.com.au/index.html

Sean's suggestion is a very good one I am very partial to the fine Barwon Heads Golf course.  Also they have what I am led to believe is some very nice accommodation (plus a great clubhouse)

If you were to continue your sightseeing souh and west from Barwon heads you could follow the Great Ocean Road all the way to Port Fairy (It will take you the best part of a day - stopping and starting and such) a fine setting all for the princely sum of $30 and you get to see some of the best bits of Victoria.

You could do those three all together and it would take 4-5 days of your trip.

FYI Barnbougle 100 per round 120 per day and also good accommodation on site
http://www.barnbougledunes.com.au/rates/

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 07:21:28 AM »
Bryan,

Have you looked at the (somewhat) less-famous courses in the Sandbelt, such as Victoria, Commonwealth, Yarra Yarra, and Peninsula?

You can stay and play at Victoria and Peninsula, which may help defray costs. Check out www.thesandbelt.com

Mark

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »
Scott,

Although we were originally trying to include NZ in the trip, I'm not sure we have enough time to do Australia and Tasmania and NZ too.  Perhaps on a future trip.  Cape Kidnappers seemed to have the most egregious pricing - $400NZD for a round and then $800NZD per person if you wanted to stay over.  Sure looks worth a try, but I'm not sure that even a golf addict like me could swallow $2400 for one night and one round for my wife and I and actually enjoy the experience with the price in the back of the mind.  Glad to hear that there are other more reasonably priced venues to play in NZ.

Sean, Sean, Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will look them up. 

At the moment I think we will probably rent a car in Brisbane, then perhaps a little north to see the great barrier reef, then south along the coast to Sydney and then Melbourne and then over to Tasmania.  Any other suggestions around Brisbane and on down to Sydney area would be appreciated.  In Tasmania, I'm definitely thinking BD.  Any other courses that are recommended there.  I expect we'll be there for 6 or 7 days.  So many other things to see, but perhaps one more round in addition to BD.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »
Bryan,

Yes, the prices for overseas visitors is steep, but that is how they keep their membership rates so reasonable.
If you are heading down from Brisbane to Sydney, stop in at Newcastle (I think a few hours north of Sydney).
If you do make it to the Mornington Peninsula, do check out Portsea, neat golf course and good rates. Obviously, go play St. Andrews Beach, a no-brainer. Nearby is another public course, the Dunes, may be worth visiting while in the area (very close to St. Andrews Beach if my memory serves me right). Directly across from the Mornington Peninsula is Barwon Heads & 13th Beach (36-holes) while are both good options for the budget-conscious.

TK

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 01:40:31 PM »
In Sydney, try the 9-holer at Bondi Beach and St Michaels.

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 01:45:18 PM »
I guess my question is whether you ever see yourself getting down under again. If not, I fear that down the road you may regret not finding a way to make it happen, despite the seemingly overwhelming cost.

Ash Towe

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »
Bryan,

There is some sound advice in these posts.  Scott is correct re Paraparaumu.

If you are in this part of the world again then NZ deserves its own visit or you have an extended trip.

CK is a one off course.  There is plenty of reasonably priced accomodation nearby in Hastings or Napier.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 05:14:01 PM »
Bryan,

In Tasmania the only other two courses I know of that are worth a try are Royal Hobart and Tasmania, Both out towards the Airport in Hobart. 

Royal Hobart is a nice enough sandbelt like track its major claim to fame being that Nicklaus won an Australian Open there in the 70's.  Tasmania is a very different course very hilly in parts.  It's 3rd hole is very very similar to the 12th at Kingsbarns.

Hobart is a very nice city.  (Nearly the equal of Melbourne  ;) )

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
Thanks for the additional suggestions.

I suspect that this may be a once in a lifetime trip and I may well regret not trying RM or KH, but the  reaction of my significant other to those prices causes immediate regret in wanting to play them. The idea of a return trip on my own to attend the Mar 2011 Barnbougle event (and before or after around the sandbelt) didn't meet with enthusiastic support either.  Oh well. hope springs eternal.

We're still wrestling with how to include NZ in the time we have available.  It looks tough to fit NZ and Tasmania in with a reasonable amount of time on the south-east coast of Australia.  If I had another week, there's no doubt that NZ would be on the itinerary.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 11:26:10 AM »
Brian,

At the risk of blasphemy, I would concentrate your efforts on things you and the Mrs. will mutually enjoy without trying to squeeze in too much.

It sounds like a vacation for the both of you, so do everything possible to make it her vacation as much or more than your vacation.

Have fun, and spoil her.......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

jonathan_becker

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 11:27:10 AM »
Bryan,

Just tell your wife to stay home.  Problem solved!  ;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »
Bryan,

Just tell your wife to stay home.  Problem solved!  ;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I did something kinda like very recently, I said "Honey we are going to Australia in a little over a year and we will be walking 36 holes a day so you have a year to get in proper walking shape and if your not I'm going without you"   Ain't I just a wonderful boyfriend? ;D
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tony Weiler

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 12:37:09 PM »
I thought about the 2011 event and checked airline prices.  Flights for me alone (March 2010, just for reference) would approach $5k!! 

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »
Joe,

Thanks for the good advice.  My wife enjoys playing, just not as much as me, and she certainly has a lower price threshold for price than I do.  But, we will golf and do many other things and have a great time.  I think I'll ignore the subsequent comments of Jonathan and Cory; obviously they are young and don't understand.   ;)

Anthony,

Fortunately, I'm flying business class on points.  But, economy fares to Oz from North America can be easily had for under $2,000.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back