News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Re: Shining like a NATIONAL guitar...
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 06:39:24 PM »
Are you guys implying that Roger Waters a member at NGLA? 

Nope, David Gilmour.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
Golfers have driven the 1st green, but some walked to the second tee three over par.

Is the first green at Oakmont that difficult if you've hit your approach below the hole ?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I'll attest to putting from a distant area code on that hole...good call, Mucc.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 10:08:35 PM »
Jay,

One of the things that really appealed to me about NGLA was the nuanced aspect of the architecture.

Repeat play brings new architectural discoveries on hole after hole.

The revelations that accompany repeat play are interesting because you usually wonder why you didn't notice those things on previous rounds.

The other thing that seems to happen is the "love affair" that seems to occur on a hole by hole basis.

From my first play I loved # 6, # 8 and # 18, a  par 3, 4 and 5.

But, with repeat play I fell in love with # 3, # 7, # 11, # 12, # 15.

With more play, # 4, # 5,  # 10, # 14 and # 17 joined the club.

Then # 2, # 9 and # 16.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 10:20:11 PM »
I sort of felt the course was divided into three parts...1-6, then 7-13, and finally 14- 18.  1-6 I was trying to get organized swinging in the cold and rain...we teed off, asnd then I blinked, and we were on three.  So much comes at you right out of the gate there - what a start.  1 green, then the windmill, then the alps, then the redan, catch your breath at 5, then the mightiest short ever!

Then you get out to the wide playing fields of 7-13.  That's the part that reminded me of Garden City 4-8 and 14-15...that wide expanse where you feel like there's no world except the golf course and all you have are expansive vista in every direction.

Then you turn for home.  By this time, I was frozen and playing on fumes, but it was still great...even though I butchered 16.  I love 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 11, 16, and 18 the most right now, but gimme another play...(please in sunshine!), and I think you might be right about shaking up the order a bit:)

Epic!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

C. Squier

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
Tom, I gotta go with NGLA on that comparison...Oakmont rolls away from you and all, but those contours at NGLA are more fierce.

Harder than WFW's first green?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 10:34:57 PM »
No question!  Then again, I was below the hole on one at WFW!

You know what else I like Mucc?  That evry feature was bigger and bolder than I ever could have expected...what a piece of property!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 10:35:51 PM »
Clint,

Both NGLA and WFW suffer from limited hole locations as the greens get faster.

I find # 1 at NGLA scarier than # 1 at WFW.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
Are you guys implying that Roger Waters a member at NGLA? 

I don't think it would be proper to name names of NGLA members.....did you see that name mentioned somewhere here? ;D ;D
No I just saw him near there with "several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and groving with a sand wedge."

Peter Galea

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 12:27:10 AM »
"Careful with that axe Eugene."
"chief sherpa"

Dale Jackson

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 01:59:25 AM »
Aye an' a bit of Mackeral settler rack and ruin
ran it doon by the haim, 'ma place
well I slapped me and I slapped it doon in the side
and I cried, cried, cried
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jay Flemma

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 09:55:44 AM »
"Careful with that axe Eugene."

You mean "Careful with that D-4 ugene"  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back