News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Wow, I have again made the news through GCA.com
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »

Call me what you want, question my sanity, perhaps I should ask some of your clients do they want to employ a guy who does not seem to care about the safety of others.

This is not the first time you have threatened to make trouble for someone at their place of employment because you feel abused by their words. Yours is the worse type of behavior, and club throwing and cursing are minor when compared to it.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Go and get your rope, I have raised questions re your hero. Must be time for the lynching, is that not the way some like to finish a discussion. 
Melvyn

I won't even get into the potential problem you raise for yourself by this remark. Suffice it to say that once again you have portrayed yourself as the victim simply because others disagree with you.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

rboyce

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 08:02:32 AM »
It's hypocritical to use vulgar and offensive language in regard to golf officials and then tout the merits of golf decorum. Sure, we all use salty, drunken sailor language once in a while. But, it is truly embarassing for that base language to be picked up by any media outlet.  Especially when the source of the comments is a self proclaimed exemplar of good manners.

Here are two suggestions to smooth out some of your rough edges in the future:

The Royal & Ancient needs to grow a spine when it comes to....
The PGA Tour should keep a stiff upper lip in regard to...

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
Jim & rboyce

I am not the victim, but the game you seem to want and perhaps say you love to play, is. Let’s face the problems honestly, admit all is not right with the game, rather than waste your comments against me.

I submitted my opinions, but Jim you attacked me on this site with your employers name on your post. There was no need to attack, it was uncalled for - a simple comment that you do not agree would have made the point. However, that’s not your way, you like to try and turn the knife. I have tried to make peace with IM/e-mails with you but you just keep throwing in your little comments trying to get to me. You won't but then that leave me with choices.  

Rboyce, I never used the F work or have throw a club. If you can compare my comments to Tigers, then I have to say that I feel you have a problem. I feel sorry for you.

As I have said you both have the right to your opinion, pity neither of you seem willing to grant me the same privilege.

I am not one of the elite of this site, I am just an ordinary guy with a long connection to golf and just voice my opinions as I see them, yet I am expected to keep silent when some of you decide to counter my opinions with personal attacks. The new face of golf, gca.com and could it be thanks to Tigers and his tantrums being reflected by those who should know better.

Whatever, it’s a sad day.

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »

Melvyn,

I am glad you contribute to the site. Your threads stimulate discussion. The ones that just post a petty comment from time to time are not contributing to the site.

Anthony

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »
No Melyvn, I'm sorry, you aren't the victim here. You haven't tried to put any imagined dispute you have with me to rest, if you did  your opening remarks would not look like this:

"Looks like others do read what we say and also misunderstand some of it too, but then what’s new, that’s’ what this site is all about, Right Jim."

Melvyn

Once again, you don't like how a thread progresses so you choose to threaten everyone on it by saying:

..."perhaps I should ask some of your clients do they want to employ a guy who does not seem to care about the safety of others"
Melvyn

Good luck Mel.

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »

Melvyn,

The ones that just post a petty comment from time to time are not contributing to the site.

Anthony

Such as you?
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »
Melvyn you were right when you said that the author misquoted you and incorrectly stated that you actually have any say what-so-ever in who actually gets the belt. He made the mistake from your personal online horn-tooting of your family tree and believed you're anything but an internet troll.

Congrats about being quoted and learning how to google yourself, now an extra 10 people in New York that work with the author and actually read his blog will think you have a sliver of power.
H.P.S.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »
Dave,
I'm not making excuses for Eldrick, but I was reading an article (and possibly another) where the author(s) said that as he followed him around in an event he noticed a number of tics and repetitive behavior that suggested Tiger might have a problem with compulsive behavior.

That may have some bearing on his course demeanor, and give more credence to his own remarks rather than an interpretation of them:

"It is what it is," he said. "Unfortunately I do make mistakes, and I hit bad shots and I say bad things at times. I don't mean to; it just comes out. It's not something that I try and do. It just happens. Have I been trying to get better at that? Yeah, my entire life. But it happens from time to time, and I'm not the only person that does it."

rboyce

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »
Where does getting hit by one of Tiger's clubs rank on the list of common golf spectator injuries? Are fans in imminent danger?

I would bet the list of golf fan injuries looks something like this:

1. Sunburn
2. Alchohol poisoning
3. Ankle sprains from stepping in a hole

75. Grass allergies
76. Food poisoning
77. Getting hit by a shot

234. Lightning strikes
235. Earthquakes
236. Hail

712. Blisters
713. Eye irritation
714. Low blood sugar

1,478 Gas
1,479 Cramps
1,480 Fatigue

Notice that getting hit by one of Tiger's clubs is not on the list at all. I highly doubt it's ever happened.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Wow, I have again made the news through GCA.com New
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 10:46:43 AM »
Dave,
Here's one of the articles I mentioned, I think it's pertinent to this whole conversation.

http://www.golf.com/golf/special/article/0,28136,1716711,00.html#

I'm going to look for the other and will post it if I find it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:27:58 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 10:49:18 AM »
Where does getting hit by one of Tiger's clubs rank on the list of common golf spectator injuries? Are fans in imminent danger?

I would bet the list of golf fan injuries looks something like this:

1. Sunburn
2. Alchohol poisoning
3. Ankle sprains from stepping in a hole

75. Grass allergies
76. Food poisoning
77. Getting hit by a shot

234. Lightning strikes
235. Earthquakes
236. Hail

712. Blisters
713. Eye irritation
714. Low blood sugar

1,478 Gas
1,479 Cramps
1,480 Fatigue

Notice that getting hit by one of Tiger's clubs is not on the list at all. I highly doubt it's ever happened.

I've noticed that club throwers are usually enough in control to make sure nobody gets hurt, or that a club is lost.

I did see an old friend once hook a drive OB and pitch the club back up over his head behind him.

Late that afternoon he was still trying to get far enough up into that ancient oak tree to retrieve his driver.  Too bad he didn't have a caddie to send up there.   :(

rboyce

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 10:52:26 AM »
rboyce:  nobody got hit by Bobby Knight's chair, either.

And no one ever made the hyperbolic claim that Bobby Knight's chair imperiled the health of basketball fans.

rboyce

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »
Bill, you nailed it. Throwing clubs is bad form. Having said that, Tigers instincts and reflexes are off the charts in a way that we can't even comprehend. He is not going to hit a fan by slinging his driver into tall grass or thumping a wedge on his bag. Claims of imminent fan danger are preposterous.

I've got a club throwing story too. My buddy threw his putter high up into a pine tree in disgust. I insisted on not moving forward until it was retrieved. Finally, I climbed the tree myself and brought the putter down. My playing partner has never thrown a club again. I still laugh about that one and the pine pitch added some tackiness to my grip too.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »
.....and another, although not the 'other' one I had in mind. This one's a bit longer but, if you put in some search words you can find the more relevant passages. Once again, not excuses, just some possible explanations for the behavior.

http://www.esquire.com/features/sports/ESQ1003-OCT_TIGER

p.s. I might add that when my every 'tic' and 'anomaly' becomes fodder for public consumption I may follow Tiger's lead.  ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »
Pat

I can understand Jim’s stance and given the opportunity would like to resolve our difference. However, you my friend have gone out of your way to be petty, spiteful and quite frankly very vile and stupid in many of your comments relating to my family and I.

You have moaned to others that more people seem to read my posts than your (who really care, seems you do). You call me the local village idiot and yet you still post on my topics, not necessary discussing the topic subject but just trying to insult me. You have gone on and said no one is interested in my view or opinions, yet others seem happy to print some of my comments.

Just what is the point, why waste your time calling me names, does it give you a kick, do you get your rocks off on such things in your perverted little mind.

Keep your vile coming, its doing you and the sight a lot of good. As for me, I will continue voicing my concerns as and when I feel it necessary. There are many golfing issues that I feel need addressing and brought out into public debate.

Let’s not forget that this site is a discussion forum, for that, opinions need to be submitted and if found interesting discussed. I try to fuel the debate and push for open discussion. Those who do not like me, my tone or my comments are basing it on a single form of contact, a blog page. As you well know when a falling out has occurred I have (even with you) IM/e-mailed those concerned to try to pour oil on troubled waters so that we can move on. However, it’s interesting how a few don’t bother to acknowledge let alone reply. Simple manners would I believe require a short acknowledgement even if there were no way forward – of course some just miss or forget the contact which might be an explanation. I hope what ails you will soon get better and that we can move on.

I am, as always your friend

Melvyn

rboyce

Did I see one about being run over by a bus driven by a pink elephant in your list?

The point is, are you willing to wait to see if someone is actually hurt or does it make sense to try to stop it now before someone is injured.

Anyway, why did you wait and retrieve the club, could it be that you thought it might have fallen on someone and caused an injury?

rboyce

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 11:04:52 AM »
As he should have since he interrupted the game and antagonized the referees - both of which are definable rules violations that come with penalties. In other words Knight's act was way worse than anything Tiger has done.

Did you know Phil Jackson once threw a chair on the court while coaching the Albany Patroons of the now defunct CBA. True story.

If you want to have some fun go on youtube and search for Bobby Knight golf. The tirades they have on video are unbelievable even if you know Knight's track record.

Jason Topp

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 11:13:41 AM »
Sorry to see this degenerate.

Melvyn - I am glad you started this thread.  Congratulations on being named in the article and for taking a worthwhile stance. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 11:15:06 AM »
Sorry to see this degenerate.

Melvyn - I am glad you started this thread.  Congratulations on being named in the article and for taking a worthwhile stance. 

+1

Anthony Butler

Knight v Woods
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 11:42:17 AM »
As he should have since he interrupted the game and antagonized the referees - both of which are definable rules violations that come with penalties.

Yes, both come with definable penalties.  They're called technical fouls, and he got those.  

He was not, however, suspended for interrupting the game, or for antagonizing the referees.  Nor did he apologogize for those things.  Those penalties - the suspension and the presumably forced or at least strongly suggested apology from the normally-unapologetic Bobby Knight - came for the excessive act, the ridiculous, violent, inappropriate tantrum.

Knight's act was worse, yes, but on a relative scale (basketball vs. golf), not by much compared to some of Tiger's tantrums.  

And Knight only threw a chair once.

Tiger?  GMAB.  There's no comparison.

Knight presumably had it in his mind that his outburst would alert the officials to what he viewed as poor refereeing. And perhaps make them more reluctant to make a call against his team... Not the most appropriate method but there was a purpose to the outburst. Same deal with McEnroe etc..

Tiger could fling his driver from the TPC Boston into Copley Square and it would not change anything about the result of the competition.

The release of built up anger and the childish flinging of equipment is a wash.
Next!

PThomas

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »
As he should have since he interrupted the game and antagonized the referees - both of which are definable rules violations that come with penalties.

Yes, both come with definable penalties.  They're called technical fouls, and he got those.  

He was not, however, suspended for interrupting the game, or for antagonizing the referees.  Nor did he apologogize for those things.  Those penalties - the suspension and the presumably forced or at least strongly suggested apology from the normally-unapologetic Bobby Knight - came for the excessive act, the ridiculous, violent, inappropriate tantrum.

Knight's act was worse, yes, but on a relative scale (basketball vs. golf), not by much compared to some of Tiger's tantrums.  

And Knight only threw a chair once.

Tiger?  GMAB.  There's no comparison.

dont forget some of Knights other idiotic acts Shiv....like choking a player, suggesting rape victims just lay back and enjoy it, etc..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:57:20 AM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
Perhaps they should amend this decision:

33-8/6 Local Rule for Breach of Sportsmanship Code or Competition Policy
Q. May a Committee make a Local Rule assessing a penalty for breach of a sportsmanship code (e.g., for offensive language) or of a competition policy (e.g., for use of a mobile phone when such use is prohibited)?
A. No. A Local Rule assessing a penalty for a breach of a sportsmanship code or competition policy is not authorized. Penalties for breaches of such items should take a more generalized form, e.g., censure, suspension or revocation of the privilege of playing in events.
However, a Committee may disqualify a player under Rule 33-7 for a serious breach of etiquette — see Decision 33-7/8. (New)

The USGA should change the answer to be a simple "Yes" so a Local/Tournament Rule can be put in place where the 1st time someone drops a vulgarity, or chucks a club, its a warning. Then the 2nd time and all subsequent occurences in a round results in a 1 shot penalty each.

Seems simple enough to do on Tour especially given the number of officials and referres running around.

Lets see if Tiger truly couldn't get things under control if potential added strokes are at play!!!   ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2009, 11:58:30 AM »
One good thing about Tiger's temper tantrums - he gets pissed at himself, he explodes, it's over.  His tantrums don't go on page after page after page after page after.......

Anthony Gray

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »

I think I heard several F bombs at The Grudge Match.

Anthony

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
Melvyn,

Here-here...Thank you for standing up for the etiquette and decorum of our fine game...While on this particular issue i fall somewhere between the extremes voiced here, I applaud your passion and your right to do so.  Furthermore, if we don't pass on the sport's finer qualities, it can only hurt the game and our experience of it...Now if we could only get the pros to play in under 4 hours.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

tlavin

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
Cute.  A golf blogger blogging about a golf blogger blogging about golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back