News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Wow, I have again made the news through GCA.com
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »

I have just been advised that an article has been printed based upon the GCA.com topics re Tiger Woods behaviour. Its in the NYDailyNews.com from The Bunker by Frank Gola.

The links is -  http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/fromthebunker/?offset=5
However, I notice a major error, its Prestwick Golf Club that are making the presentation of the replica Championship Belt and not me.

Looks like others do read what we say and also misunderstand some of it too, but then what’s new, that’s’ what this site is all about, Right Jim.

Melvyn

PThomas

Re: Wow, I have again made the news through GCA.com
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »
why  are you posting this?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ian Larson

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:56:19 PM »
Why wouldn't he post this?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »
why  are you posting this?

I don't know, Paul, it's kind of a First Amendment kind of thing!!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »
Melyvn,
Congatulations, reach back there and give yourself a pat.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 06:23:15 PM »

Paul

I don’t have any motive but to show that what we write on GCA.com is picked up by others. That what is voiced on here is interesting to others, with perhaps the exception of you, Jim and the rest of the self-appointed mind police we have here on GCA.com.

I feel others may be interested. Clearly, you are not, which is your right in a free society as it is my right to voice my opinions.

To those who don’t believe Tiger’s actions just look at the Iron flying through the air in front of him and read the report of what it nearly did. Or are others going to say it’s the Holy Iron, golf’s equivalent of the Holy Grail

Paul it is a point of interest that reports are read and copied (not always correctly or correctly understood) by others and that Members post are being used without their knowledge on other sites. Some may not be aware of that.

I am surprised at your remark and even more for posting it, but then I expect we were all equal but clearly you are more equal that the rest of us.

Melvyn

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:23:40 PM »
Melyvn,

Too bad you didn't have posession of the belt yourself, then you could really put the proverbial squeeze on!!   ;D

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »
Melvyn- Have you ever been sectioned?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:42:09 PM »
Adrian

Melvyn- Have you ever been sectioned?   What sort of question is that?

Melvyn

Ian Larson

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »
That sounds perverted and perhaps a candidate for censorship  ;D

rboyce

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 07:04:54 PM »
The editor did well to remove the vulgar comments about the PGA. The unedited comment is more offensive than anything Tiger has ever done while on camera at a golf course.

There's no doubt in my mind that spectators are in far more danger standing near a green or fairway while shots are being hit than standing near Tiger when he slings a club into the tall grass.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »

rboyce

So are you hard of hearing as well. I have not used the F word to describe the PGA, but Tiger has used the F word more than a few times on TV.

Nevertheless, if that is your opinion, it’s your right. 

How you balance the scales of justice seems slightly alarming but I am sure that you know what you are saying.

Melvyn

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
Melvyn,

Did the writer contact you at all or was the article written solely based on his reading GCA posts?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »
How can you be so sure the writer wasn't making reference to a different Melvyn Hunter Morrow?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »
 8)  Melvyn,

I think its cool that you're now a "citation."   Look out, before long you'll be on the Tube! 

Your basic point is well taken.  All it takes is to note that there's often twice as many people looking at this site than posting on it.  I assume many folks are lifting ideas and checking out gca.com as a reference point on issues of golf. 

Perhaps its good that most posters are so oblivious to the extent of the www.. true feelings, good and bad come out, and simple civility rules.

S
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »
Personal attacks on Melvin aside, his statement that others not affiliated with this site do find comments that can come back to you is true.
I have had it happen to me regarding statements I have made about certain clubs.

Not much anyone can do about it unless a filter can be made to keep search engine spiders off the site.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:29:30 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 09:27:48 PM »
I really hated where that other thread went, but found the article to be pretty cool - made me smile.

SPDB

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 11:01:56 PM »
I for one do not see how the tiger conduct is any more/less offensive than this thread.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
Nice to see the site getting attention.  Unfortunately it came from a thread that had nothing to do with golf course architecture.

OT.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 11:30:57 PM »
I didn't see the name Sam Morrow anywhere. Damn

J Sadowsky

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 11:45:53 PM »
No relation to Clay Morrow?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 11:46:53 PM »
Melvyn has a point, Tiger Wood's behavior is, at times ,that of a petulant child, why should he not be brought to book?

To attack Melvyn for pointing out the obvious is beyond comprehension. Can anyone on this site give me an example of Nicklaus, Palmer or Player saying F**k ,  when hitting a poor shot? If you can, do let us know.

Bob

Brian Phillips

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 02:53:23 AM »
I have to agree with Mr Huntley here.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 07:04:32 AM »
Perhaps if Bob (who as always, appears to be the quiet voice of reason) could post the same on the "Social Tiger Woods/Steve Stricker" threads they could both be put to death and we could move on to discussing architecture.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 07:09:19 AM »
As I mentioned it was a total surprise to see my post has been used elsewhere without my knowledge. However, such is life when you post on the internet.

As for how the subject is viewed by fellow GCA.com Members, is totally down to each individual. Nevertheless, let me make it again abundantly clear that I do not believe behaviour as demonstrated by Tiger’s Temper Tantrums (captured on the small screen on more than one occasion plus by many photographers) is acceptable.

Be it by Tiger or ANY OTHER Golfer, it is not correct on a Golf Course.

If my article, now hijacked by someone else (plus not totally accurate) helps to highlight that poor or disgraceful behaviour is not to be tolerated on our courses then I am please.

Hero-worship is one thing but allowing these individual to get away with these temper tantrums while on our courses, is IMO just not acceptable. Those parents among us, would you tolerate your child to behave like this in front of his mother or your mother. If the answer is no then why do you find it acceptable that a Professional can do it on camera?   

It’s very simple, his temper tantrums on a golf course are either right or wrong. There is no middle ground, the excuses that he is tired, he is overworked, the pressure he is under etc., etc., cuts no water. He is a Golfing Professional, it’s his work – if he feels the need to continue to play golf for money. Professionals are meant to be the elite of our game and so should be fitter, and in more control that the rest of us.

Its not just Tiger, others are also guilty, but its was Tiger I saw, his tantrums were caught on TV, so I address my comments to him.

Each of you decides which level of common decency is acceptable to you and your family. I know mine and both my wife and I are of the opinion that Tiger has crossed it.

There is also another concern, that of safety. On this subject, there can be no compromise, as I believe prevention is far better than any other scenario. Thank God, to date no one has been injured by a club flying through the air, but what do you think the damage could be if it hit an adult let alone a child. Would you or for that matter your wife put your child in potential harms way, well looking at some of the comments on here, yes you would – that speaks volumes about you and how you view your fellow golfers and spectators.

Call me what you want, question my sanity, perhaps I should ask some of your clients do they want to employ a guy who does not seem to care about the safety of others. 

In the end, this is just a site to submit our opinions re golf and architecture, but behaviour on a course is a key part of the game and the subject should be aired.

Go and get your rope, I have raised questions re your hero. Must be time for the lynching, is that not the way some like to finish a discussion.

Melvyn

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:50:05 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back