News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Askernish, Outer Hebrides (front 9 holes posted)
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 04:51:46 PM »
Bill's picture of Gordon speaking also shows some other interesting things - other than empty bottles and decanters of port ready for consumption! The clock was presented to the club by fellow member Peter Alliss, the picture of the great triumpherate hanging from the wall, commissioned and presented to the club by a member. The wine cabinet formally sat in the clubhouse of the R&A before it was purchased and  settled in Deal.

I believe Gordon is now signed up to the discussuion group and will hopefully share more of the rebirth of Askernish.
Cave Nil Vino

James Boon

Hole 10
A par 4 of almost 400 yards

A good driving hole, the line is the radio mast in the distance.

You can see on this picture the amount of sandy areas that the club are trying to cover over, as discussed earlier. You need to aim a little left on your approach as the ground is raised to the left and will run in from there.

With this picture from just short, you can see the left to right slope.

And here is another view of the green from short right.

Hole 11
Par 3 of almost 200 yards.

This is one hell of a par 3!

The green sits beyond a giant deep dip in the dunes with the sea directly behind, or so it appears from the tee. In fact the dip only covers the first 160 odd yards, with the area short of the green containing typical links like humps and hollows, a small bunker short right and a large run off into a dip short left. The ladies tee does not require the carry over the deep hollow and is fairly level all the way. Apparently in the strongest winds, the men tend to play from this tee, probably to preserve their sanity?

This is the view from just over the hollow

And this is from a little closer

The green is very close to the sea as can be seen in the below picture. Ralph mentioned that a storm several years ago eroded almost 20ft of the land here, so another bad storm and the green will be real tricky! This is the view looking back, with the beach just to the left

Hole 12
580 odd yard par 5

Time for a bit of architectural fun. The 12th hole has two fairways to aim at from the tee. The first runs to the right and is I assume where the 580 odd yards are measured, and is played as a true 3 shotter. The alternative is a much smaller fairway to the left which will shorten the hole to I imagine about 530 odd yards and probably reachable in two shot by some. It’s a much longer carry to get to this fairway from the tee, and your shot must reach the top of a dune where the fairway starts, but will then run on some way as the downslope will add extra yards to your drive. Here is the picture from the tee. You can see a marker post to the left which is placed on top of the dune you must carry to. The marker post to the right is actually in place for your second layup shot if going the longer route but is also a good line from the tee. I went for the right hand route…

Here’s a view from the fairway looking in the general direction of the green, with the safer layup route to the right.

And this is looking back from a little further along the fairway. The tee is on top of the dunes in the distance, close to the beach, while to the right you can see the downslope of the optional fairway.

This is the view from the safer right hand route, of your approach to the green. And to the left of the green can be seen God’s Bunker!

And this is a close up of the bunker, which caused much discussion on here recently. Ralph tells me that this is a totally natural bunker, where digging by rabbits eroded away to leave this scar against the rise to a plateau on which the green is located. These type of features occur all over links land so I suspect all they had to do was tidy it up a bit (remove eroded sods of earth from any collapse or erosion, that type of thing, leaving the bunker face edge as found) and there you go, a totally natural bunker!

This is looking back at the bunker from the left side of the green

And finally, this is the green, which has some challenging undulations in it.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rich Goodale

Vis a vis "God's Bunker," like many of Gordon's audience at Deal I was tuning in and out between his presentation, between scanning the audience to see who was fading into their pudding, making sure that when the port was passed my way it stopped long enough for me to refresh my glass, and ogling the lovely waitresses.  One thing I do remember very clearly was Gordon's bit on the "International Apprentice" aspect of his and Askernish's (?) programme, which in the latter case involved 5 or 6 Chinese students working feverishly on building/ameliorating a large frilly edged bunker on the course which looked very much like that one previously attributed on this thread to "God."

Am I wrong to think that maybe these "two" bunkers were/are one in the same?

Rich

James Boon

Rich, or should that be Rihc?  ;D

The link to Gordon's website shows him on his hands and knees in one of the bunkers on the 8th, but other than those two, God's Bunker and a small one on the 11th, I dont think there are any other bunkers at present. So it could have been any of those Gordon described to you? Does Gordon contribute on here at all? It would be good to hear from him on this...

I must add that it was Ralph that referred to it as God's Bunker, but I dont have a reason to disagree with him. However, to prove how sad I am, I did have a look on Google Maps aerial of the site before the course was built and it does appear as if there is a large sandy area in the approximate location of said bunker. But I couldn't say how much work if any that was required to get it to look as it does now?

Cheers,

James

ps Going back a few posts to Slag, I've not played Barnbougle Dunes, but I can see a similarity from the photos. That 7th looks acracking little hole!

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

Hole 13
320 yard par 4

The 13th tee is located on the edge of the dunes, with the flatter cultivated machair off to the right. This is the turning point for home as we are now at the furthest point south of the course. Here is a view of the tee shot.

The approach is a short shot to a green that is pretty much a grade level green but part of a gentle slope all the way, so it slopes from back to front allowing you to be aggressive with an approach, but you don’t want to go long as there a big drop off the back.

Here’s a view from behind the hole looking back

And this is a view of the green as seen from the next tee, showing the slope of the green with the approach to the green from the right of this photo.

Hole 14
A par 3 of 140 odd yards, though Ralph told me it was actually about 160 yards

When the initial designs where put together by Martin Ebert this was the most southerly green, played as a short par 3. However, it was decided to move 3 holes from the flatter land to the north into these dunes to the south and these holes eventually became the 11, 12 and 13 you’ve just seen. However, this is the view from near to current 11th tee, showing what a cracking little par 3 this would have made.

And this is the view of the tee shot as the hole was built, coming from the opposite direction. Trouble short, left and right.

When you get closer, you can see that there is quite a drop from the back of the green to the front, so if this hole had played in the opposite direction it would have been a tricky little green to hit! The ball you can see close is Ralph’s after a great tee shot!

Here is the view of the 14th green from the next tee of to the right, showing the drop off to the right of the green.

Hole 15
350 odd yards of par 4

A good driving hole this. Keep your tee shot close to the dune on the left and whatever you do avoid the hollows to the right, underneath the bank of dunes! Horrid rough down there.

More great links land humps and hollows on this fairway. You can see the flag poking up from within another hollow in the distance.

And here is a view from just short of this punchbowl’esque green.

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:10:18 AM by James Boon »

Ben Stephens

Re: Askernish, Outer Hebrides (First 15 holes posted)
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 10:44:22 AM »
James the golf pilgrim!,

This looks like links golf at its most purist or is it pure?!! Did you find the Tardis and travel back 100 years - (cant imagine you wearing flat cap, tie, waistcoast and plus fours!!!) if so welcome back to the 21st century!

Comparing this with Shinnecock - this is more natural + wild! and Shinnecock is natural + very well maintained one wonder what the original Shinnecock would have looked like!

Will try and get there in my lifetime!

Ben

James Boon

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 11:45:20 AM »
No flat cap and plus fours, just a long multi coloured scarf...  ;D

It certainly is a very pure golf course in both spirit and execution. But as has already been metioned, Askernish cant be all things to all people, so while it would be nice to be a museum piece, its condition over time is and will improve to make things a bit more comfortable for its small band of local members, but it will I'm sure always have rough and ready edges to it?

Cheers

Dr Who

James Boon

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
Almost finished, just 3 more holes.

Hole 16
Almost 360 yards…

We had a glimpse of the green from the 9th tee, and what a green it is! It dominates the hole! So here is the green you will be contemplating when you stand on the tee… Your approach will be from the right to the shallow upper tier, with the drop off behind.

A view of the tee shot,

To be honest I’m not sure where the best place to position your tee shot is, only that with such a tricky green to hit, you are certainly best approaching from the fairway!

Here is a view of the approach to a green that’s sitting up high on a dune,

This is the view having climbed the dune to get to the green. A narrow sliver of a green with a large drop off to the rear.

And this is the view from short right, which starts to show the drop off to the right rear. A putt from down there is no easy task!

Hole 17
160 odd yard par 3

The green sits behind a hollow which is cut as fairway so a low running shot could do the trick

Here you can see the slope short of the green

And this is the view from the rear. You can see a hollow to back right (left on this picture) that will catch anything long and right.

Hole 18
Closing par 5 of just over 500 yards

This hole plays from the dunes, down to more level ground, and then dog legs to the left. The line is pretty much dead centre of this picture.

Anything up the left, can shorten the hole, but this ridge come into play. I believe Ralph said it marked an old enclosure of some kind, for cows or sheep?

Beyond this enclosure the fairway opens up reasonably wide as a layup area. Then your approach to the green is best coming in from the left as the ground slopes from there to the right.

So there you have it. As yardage on a links course isn’t an exact science thanks to wind and f&f conditions I’ve kept them approximate in the right up, but the card will tell you that its played as 6,194 yards to a par of 72.

I hope the pictures have said enough, but to conclude, I have to say this is probably the most fun course I’ve played! And I had said that when I played Castle Stuart only a few weeks before, but Askernish beats it!

As far as the courses history is concerned, I love the Old Tom Morris connection! Its been a great help in them for marketing and raising awareness of the course. Maybe they will have to be careful as time goes by not to overplay it, but I have no problem with it so far. For me, a combination of 3 things as Ralph tells it, and as I see it, have gone to create a course very much in the spirit of OTM’s original old course:
-   an old OS map that showed what could well have been the original 18 greens
-   the stories of several old guys on the island who remember caddying on the old course when they were children
-   and the expert eye of the architects and greenkeepers involved, to look for natural green sites and to create greens and fairways using traditional techniques
All this means that though it may not be an exact restoration of a OTM course, more of a palimpsest or a recreation, its certainly very much in the spirit of how the original old course would have been.

When the condition improves a little, it will truly be a stunning course full of strategy, challenge and natural beauty! But I would suggest to anyone who fancies a game at Askernish, the sooner they play it the better, to experience golf a hundred years away from the game we mostly see today.

Cheers,

James

Andrew Mitchell

Re: Askernish, Outer Hebrides (All 18 holes posted)
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 04:27:59 AM »
Great pictures James, Askernish looks fantastic real back to basics stuff. 
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 08:07:59 AM »
James

Thanks for the right up.  I really enjoyed the look of the course and wished more architects aspired to this sort of thing. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve Salmen

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
James,

Congratulations on your wonderful post.  Your pics were far sharper than mine and you steered clear of controversy.  It was a privilege for me to learn history of the course from Ralph.  Just being there was a special golf experience.  I believe it is just a matter of time for Askernish to increase it's visitor play from 500-600 to over 2000.  Askernish's best days lie ahead.  I'm happy you got to play it and share your experiences and pictures with the world.  Thank you.

Steve Salmen

Jud_T

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 01:47:28 PM »
James,

Thanx for the great pix!  It only peaks my interest to get over there sooner!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Hendren

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 09:36:13 AM »
I think there is merit to comparing the work of the Askernish rabbits to those at Gweedore.

Askernish:

Gweedore:

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jud_T

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »
Michael-

must be windier at Askernish! Either that or the rabbits are much larger!  8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »
Unquestionably a fascinating "new" course...remote, original, natural and definitely a handful of terrific looking holes. I would definitely love to experience it. However, after recently playing several more well known Scottish links, I'm not sure how many rounds I would trade for Askernish, even if travel weren't an issue. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't swap either round at Dornoch...9-1, maybe.

Machrihanish Dunes is almost as remote, raw and rugged...and in very close proximity to Old Tom's actual work. As interesting as Askernish looks in the photos, absent the novelty, from a playability perpective I can't imagine it stacking up, asthetically or architechturally.

Niall C

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2009, 07:45:14 AM »
Chris

I think you would find that there is much actual Old Tom at Askernish as Machrihanish. Machrihanish has had several significant alterations over the years.

Niall

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »

Chris

Interesting point of view “I'm pretty sure I wouldn't swap either round at Dornoch...9-1, maybe”. I would happily swap more than a round or two at Dornoch for Askernish, if nothing more than to understand how the course plays and have the opportunity to play golf in a similar manner as the 19th Century Victorians.

Dornoch is a good course but is more loved by Americans that home players. Don’t listen to me, just read the reports of the guys that have recently played Askernish to get an open and honest review of the course. 

As for getting to South Uist, it’s far more fun that getting from Edinburgh/Glasgow to Dornoch, yet you are happy to undertake that journey.

I do not believe that you would chose the easy option, the let’s ride than walk, lets use aids than think for ourselves options. Scared that Askernish might not just match Dornoch but beat it when it comes down to playing golf. Of course we all make up our own minds and have our own options and opinions and quite rightly so.

I bet you a bottle of 25-year-old Single Malt that you would have a big smile on your face in the hotel bar after your round that will last into the next day. Would I swap, Hell; to bloody right I would, just reread James independent view with his great series of photos.

Unless you are just looking for the easy life both on and off the course. ;)

Melvyn

Jud_T

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »
Melvyn,

Is it easy to arrange for caddies at Askernish?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »

Jud

Why would you want one?

If you are wealthy, bring your own. If you feel you need help, ask Ralph or any of the clubs members.

Melvyn

Gordon Irvine

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2009, 02:42:31 PM »
Hi everyone it has been great to read all your comments on Askernish. I will happily share the story of the project with you all.
 It has been a three year labour of love to get all 18 holes back in play.
The flatter opening holes are on land that was flatened in 1940,s to allow planes to land I felt that as this was part of the history of Askernish that keeping the flatter contour was in keeping with the development of golf there.The 1st and 6th fairways are in fact old runways.
The bunker named Gods was in fact and still is a cattle shellter in winter. All we did was to tidy it up and pack the sand into the exposed faces.The bunkers the students were working in were at the 8th green.
The 16th green is a mix of my thoughts and Martin Eberts I felt the upper area was the old green he felt it was the area behind so I brought both areas into play as putting surfaces.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »

Hi Gordon and welcome to GCA.com

I hope you got that e-mail with all the attachment I sent some weeks ago on OTM. If not, can resend if you wish.

It is good to have you and Ralph on here

Thanks for all your hard work at Askernish.

Melvyn

Gordon Irvine

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
Hi Melvyn sorry I did not get email my system was down please resend. 

Can you help me how do I attach pics on this site so I can post pics from Askernish work

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2009, 03:21:42 PM »

Gordon

Check your e-mail for uplifting photos

Melvyn

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2009, 03:37:38 PM »
Melvyn,

I only ask because my knees aren't what they used to be.  I love walking, but shouldering a bag, or even pulling a trolley at this point can cause what little cartilage I have left to shout for help.  I would think that some of the local kids could use a loop.....

Gordon Irvine

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »
My first view of Askernish before work began.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back