News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Painswick for sale rumour
« on: October 14, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
I was looking at a course very close to Painswick today and was told that it is/was for sale, I think the clubhouse is freehold and the course is over the common land. The price mentioned was £500,000. I am not sure the exact truth, but was told that a deal was nearly struck last year but fell through. I do remember something about the clubhouse a year ago but more perhaps that they were looking for simene to take the clubhouse on. Apparently membership numbers are really low now. Anyone know any more?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Rich Goodale

Re: Painswick for sale rumour
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »
Thanks for that, Adrian

This could be a tragedy but also an opportunity.

If we could get £100K from just 5 of the financial heavy hitters who inhabit this website, GCA.com could have it's own UK HQ?

Step up to the plate all you guys who have more money than mouth!

Rich

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »
I have no money...

But surely this could be an opportunity for some syndicate from here to put together a business model that could work... With the combined selling power / advertising capabilities of this forum, that should be made all the easier..

Maybe I am just dreaming...

Lou_Duran

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I nominate Rich Goodale of Stanfirth and Haavad fame as lead organiser and managing partner (MP).  The GCA.com Club @ Painswick will be capitalised (I plan to apply for residency to the UK) by a $650 contribution from each of 1,500 Discussion Group members.

At full subscription, the 1,500 shares will generate $975K of which roughly $812K will go toward the purchase of the club, and the remainder for working capital and maintenance reserves.  All current members will be allowed to retain their membership priviliges and given the opportunity to purchase any unsubscribed shares on a first come first served basis after the first offering is closed.

The club will be operated as austerely as possible by a strong general manager (I have one in mind) responding only to the MP, and a rotating board of four member advisors.  A budget will be set before the beginning of the year, and any overages will be covered by a pro-rata assessment prior to adopting a new budget for the subsequent year.

Site unseen, I hereby commit to purchasing my share and an option for one more.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »
Strangely, I have actually thinking about setting up a UK limited company to do this, 500,000 shares of £1 par value issued at par minimum subscription 1,500 shares...... half seriously how many names and how many shares..

Adrian Stiff 20,000
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:03:53 AM by Adrian_Stiff »
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 11:00:31 AM »
I nominate Rich Goodale of Stanfirth and Haavad fame as lead organiser and managing partner (MP).  The GCA.com Club @ Painswick will be capitalised (I plan to apply for residency to the UK) by a $650 contribution from each of 1,500 Discussion Group members.

At full subscription, the 1,500 shares will generate $975K of which roughly $812K will go toward the purchase of the club, and the remainder for working capital and maintenance reserves.  All current members will be allowed to retain their membership priviliges and given the opportunity to purchase any unsubscribed shares on a first come first served basis after the first offering is closed.

The club will be operated as austerely as possible by a strong general manager (I have one in mind) responding only to the MP, and a rotating board of four member advisors.  A budget will be set before the beginning of the year, and any overages will be covered by a pro-rata assessment prior to adopting a new budget for the subsequent year.

Site unseen, I hereby commit to purchasing my share and an option for one more.

I'm in.  Great plan.  Money / mouth, etc.

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
we should have bought the addington when we had the chance.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:11:49 AM »
Strangely, I have actually thinking about setting up a UK limited company to do this, 500,000 shares of £1 par value issued at par minimum subscription 1,500 shares...... half seriously how many names and how many shares..

Adrian Stiff 20,000

The question is, how do you make money?  Before anybody got too excited, I would check out what can and can't be done maintenance wise on the common land.  There could be a reason why the course is consistently in poor condition and unplayable during the winter.  

As it is now, the green fee is £19.00 on a Saturday and there is no play on Sunday.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:15:51 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:40:41 AM »
Sean- I think basically if the rumour is true, you are buying the freehold of the clubhouse and the ground in which it stands. It's worth £500,000. The course is probably worth zero If you can make any money from the clubhouse in theory that could be the dividend but running golf courses and profits are not great aligning words. You need to factor the word FUN into the equation and stump up say £2500 for a 0.5% stake in your golf course.. and figure you got free golf, you will probably play there 10 times so thats only £250 per round  :-\..... Cum on Sean stick your name down for £2500

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 01:26:40 PM »
I'd scrap together funds for some shares. I've done it before for a course even farther away! :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bruce Katona

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
Sounds like a lovery opportunity to buy this asset in a few years for  250,000 pounds/euro's., maybe less.  LLC's who are not in the golf business acquiring golf assets are the best way  for that LLC to lose money (what's $650 - not much, but having to write the annual check to cover the operating loss gets tiresome after a few years).

The deal makes sense at some number, one just needs to understand what that is prior to making a real offer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
Sounds like a lovery opportunity to buy this asset in a few years for  250,000 pounds/euro's., maybe less.  LLC's who are not in the golf business acquiring golf assets are the best way  for that LLC to lose money (what's $650 - not much, but having to write the annual check to cover the operating loss gets tiresome after a few years).

The deal makes sense at some number, one just needs to understand what that is prior to making a real offer.

Lou mentioned a reserve for maintenance but you're right, it could be eaten up in no time.

I think the apogee of Painswick was BUDA II.  It's been all downhill ever since.  It is definitely an acquired taste, but once you've got it you're a goner.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 02:38:39 PM »
Here's a few shots of the course/area.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=8585020
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 08:43:29 PM »
I was looking at a course very close to Painswick today and was told that it is/was for sale

Not to be dense, but is Painswick or "a course very close to Painswick" for sale?

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 12:52:25 AM »
The exchange rate could get tough if the dollar outplunges the pound which may happen when we run short of people willing to buy our bonds at low returns.

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 11:14:12 AM »
I was looking at a course very close to Painswick today and was told that it is/was for sale

Not to be dense, but is Painswick or "a course very close to Painswick" for sale?

As I read it, he was at a course near Painswick and was told Painswick was for sale.

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 11:46:52 AM »
The place looks awesome, count me in....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back