News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Cupit

Pinehurst area for $75?
« on: October 10, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
I have a friend who is traveling to the Pinehurst area of NC.  He is interested in some fun golf for around $75 per player during the week.  Any suggestions?

Jaeger Kovich

Re: Pinehurst area for $75?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 06:09:39 PM »
Contact the tobacco road people. I'm going down there beginning of november, and they were very helpful and significantly cheaper than pinhurst. They have lots of courses they can reserve times at as well.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »
Southern Pines, good Ross course and home course of Golf's Most Beloved Figure.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 06:17:07 PM »
Chris

Does your mate want to play 9 holes a day?

Ace - I think S Pines have jacked their in season prices way up to a level which is ridiculous.  The wanted over $100 when I tried to play there last spring.  I told them to stuff it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 06:47:17 PM »
http://www.whisperingpinesnc.com/sandhillssampler.html

http://www.legacygolfnc.com/sites/courses/legacy.asp?id=286&page=45516

Whispering Woods was always fun, at under 50 bucks, but I think it's for sale so I don't know about upkeep.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:58:38 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David Schofield

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »
Tobacco Road was $70/person a few Friday's ago.  Being a vacationing northerner, I don't know the "in-season" dates for the Sandhills.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
The "evergreen" season i believe starts on the 9th of november

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 11:25:34 PM »
Try The Pit.  I also recommend Tobacco Road above all.  Southern Pines is wonderful.   There are local golf newspapers with literally dozens of coupon specials...if your friend does his homework and legwork, he will find some deals.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brett Waters

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 12:04:14 AM »
On Friday, Tobacco Road wanted $89 to play. I ended up playing Hyland Golf Club (formerly Hyland Hills), for $30 (after 1pm rate).  Always a fun course with some elevation changes. Went bankrupt earlier in the year and just opened up maybe a month ago.(?) They have a new type of bermuda greens they installed once the course was under new management. They weren't fast, but they were healthy. The fairways were nice as well. Worth the $30 admission fee.

Steve Kline

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 07:24:53 AM »
Mid-South might be in that price range as well as Legacy. Also, Strantz' course a little north/west of Pinehurst might fit the price range (I'm drawing a blank on the name).

Chris Buie

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »
Tot Hill.  It fits the price range I believe.  About 40 minutes from Pinehurst.

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »
Chris,
When you say a friend I assume he is a redneck and will be sleeping in his pick up truck....correct?  Today he should be able to find some really good deals around there for golf plus there are some really good fried catfish places and chinese buffets.....he will be fine.....
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 12:04:35 PM »
I have a friend who is traveling to the Pinehurst area of NC.  He is interested in some fun golf for around $75 per player during the week.  Any suggestions?

I used to go to www.ezlinksgolf.com to book rounds at courses there, got some amazing deals.   Played a lot of the top courses for under $50

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 12:22:12 PM »
www.golfnow.com    lists Southern Pines, Whispering Pines, Hyland, Quail Ridge, Foxfire and Whispering Woods as their courses in the Pinehurst area.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris Cupit

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »
Chris,
When you say a friend I assume he is a redneck and will be sleeping in his pick up truck....correct?  Today he should be able to find some really good deals around there for golf plus there are some really good fried catfish places and chinese buffets.....he will be fine.....
Mike

Almost dead on.  Actually he has the bed encased for his tools so he needs to find some dry ground as he and his (common law) wife sleep UNDER the truck.  Anything with a nearby pool (or pond) would be a bonus :D  Thanks for the buffet ideas--as the were a'fixin to git ready to go, they loaded up wih extra Slim Jims and Moon Pies--they should be fine for a week or so!

Guys,

Thank you for your responses and suggestions.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
No vienna weiners?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris Cupit

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
No vienna weiners?

Have you priced a can of those lately :D  Simply the essentials.

John Moore II

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 06:54:47 PM »
When is this fellow traveling to Pinehurst? After Mid-November, he can go to the Triangle Golf Today magazine website and get some decent coupon deals for most of the courses down there. Foxfire, Whispering Pines, Southern Pines and Hyland Hills are not included in that because they are owned by Avestra. But after the middle of November, just about everything outside Pinehurst Resort can be had for less than $75, and if you search around, even Pine Needles can be played for very close to that $75 figure.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »
word on the street is that pinehurst is putting on a winter promotion (starting in early november) that will allow 2 people to stay in the hotel and play #2 for a total of $225.  if so, thats a helluva deal.

John Moore II

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »
word on the street is that pinehurst is putting on a winter promotion (starting in early november) that will allow 2 people to stay in the hotel and play #2 for a total of $225.  if so, thats a helluva deal.

If thats on the website then I stand corrected, but I can't see that being exactly the case. Now $225 a night, with one play on #2, with minimum stay of like 3 nights, Sunday through Thursday only, I can see. But just one night stay, one play on #2 is a bit hard for me to believe.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »
Jay - I don't think that is correct... Booked a round on #2 a little over a week ago, for the day the rates drop... They saved me $200, but it still costs about the same as 4 days at any of the Tobacco Road courses with hotel.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back