News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Social Steve Stricker
« on: October 10, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
Steve Stricker slammed his club into the bunker.

He's not a role model.

He has embarrassed to the game of golf.

His behavior is reprehensible.

He needs to apologize to men, woman, children and pets ASAP.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:59:53 PM by Ryan Potts »

Jed Peters

Re: Social Steve Stricker
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 03:00:30 PM »
I hear he's also a hitler-like racist as well.

JR Potts

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »
Depends....if you think his behavior is reprehensible and you happen to be black, then you're a racist.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »
Luckily Steve had the highly tolerant and sympathetic Tiger Woods as a teammate. Tiger put his hand on Stricker's shoulder to comfort him, then redeemed him entirely with a small tap. Boy, ole Steve could sure learn some ettiquet lessons from Tiger Woods.

Doug

PS: I tried to start the Tiger thread to show the social side of the man who was so maligned over so many years. I am sorry I did so. No amount of such will change that kind of mind. I am even sorrier I got angry [again] enough to scold. It will NOT happen again. Afterall, this is just golf. I will now turn my attention to political sites where a vastly more extreme version is ongoing about the 'terrorist-loving', 'elderly-killing', 'Olympic-blowing', 'covert-Islamic', 'Nobel-stealing' [ad nauseum] 'Kenyan' who hold America hostage to evil liberals.

Afterall, a little perspective!

Thanks
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

JR Potts

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
But can we talk about Steve Stricker slamming his club into the bunker????

The horror......

JR Potts

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »
It all came to me while mowing my lawn...Steve Stricker so repulsively slammed his club into the bunker and did not apologize BECAUSE, AND ONLY BECAUSE, he had to play with Tiger today,  yesterday and numerous times during the Fed-Ex Cup.  So, not only is Tiger corrupting the World golfing youth, he's corrupted the #2 player in the world.

Damn you Tiger.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
I am even sorrier I got angry [again] enough to scold.

"Scold" ?

You accused me of being a racist !

Doug , you probably will never understand , how much that baffles someone from the East coast of Scotland .

I feel sorry for the world you live in !

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 07:16:45 PM »

PS: I tried to start the Tiger thread to show the social side of the man who was so maligned over so many years. I am sorry I did so. No amount of such will change that kind of mind. I am even sorrier I got angry [again] enough to scold. It will NOT happen again. Afterall, this is just golf. I will now turn my attention to political sites where a vastly more extreme version is ongoing about the 'terrorist-loving', 'elderly-killing', 'Olympic-blowing', 'covert-Islamic', 'Nobel-stealing' [ad nauseum] 'Kenyan' who hold America hostage to evil liberals.

Afterall, a little perspective!

Doug,

Honestly, I am lost by this response. I just don't understand it. I am not saying you are wrong and probably not right, but could you please explain.

On the political side, I am a registered independent, so both sides should be courting me.  :D Thanks

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 11:46:13 PM »
People who criticize Steve Stricker -- maybe the single nicest guy on Tour -- can bite me. :-*

JNC Lyon

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 11:54:27 PM »
People who criticize Steve Stricker -- maybe the single nicest guy on Tour -- can bite me. :-*

Well said sir.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 06:01:20 AM »
Ryan-classic....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
I still have some Steve Stricker brand shirts from Kohl's from about 5 years ago.  Perhaps I should boycott wearing them until Mr. Stricker refrains from his boorish behavior!

(of course I'm not serious...  And, the Sticker line of shirts was great, and I really still do have a few left)

JR Potts

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

I don't think anyone on here is criticizing Steve Stricker - I think people on here, namely me, are accurately pointing out the preposterous nature of the constant criticism of Tiger's outbursts as being reprehensible, boorish and an assault on the game of golf.  

The point is, if all of these guys on TV enough in the heat of battle, you'll see less than "ideal" behavior if you're so easily offended.

Did you guys also see when Stricker swung his club at the ground in anger when he hit the ball into the bunker on the 16th hole?  Just horrifying.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:43:29 AM by Ryan Potts »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:10:29 AM »

I don't think anyone on here is criticizing Steve Stricker - I think people on here, namely me, are accurately pointing out the preposterous nature of the constant criticism of Tiger's outbursts as being reprehensible, boorish and an assault on the game of golf.  

The point is, if all of these guys on TV enough in the heat of battle, you'll see less than "ideal" behavior if you're so easily offended.

Did you guys also see when Stricker swung his club at the ground in anger when he hit the ball into the bunker on the 16th hole?  Just horrifying.

Ryan,

Sadly for you the rather mild nature of the example you have chosen just serves to further accentuate what some of us are talking about with Woods.  First, Stricker didn't utter an audible obscenity, nor did he throw a club.  He merely hit the ground with it.  Perfect behaviour?  No, of course not.  Should he try to avoid such behaviour?  Possibly.  Is it as bad as rather loud audible obscenities and club throwing?  No.  Second is the fact that this behaviour is unusual for Stricker (who you call the world's number 2 golfer, BTW, which I guess he may by ranking but by ranking only), whereas Woods is making a habit of it.

Another point.  People on your side of the argument keep suggesting that Woods unique position and the spotlight he is constantly under seperate him from his peers and excuse his behaviour.  However, Woods is not the only player under constant scrutiny.  Montgomerie had it for years over here and has been frequently (justifiably) criticised for his behaviour, Garcia has it in the US and cops a lot of (mostly justifiable) criticism for his behaviour there, though he's yet to throw a club, so far as I know.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 06:18:53 AM »
Dschmidt,

You may be right that Tiger has the worst temper out there.  I wouldn't know because he's the only golfer they show on TV.  :o
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »

Jud

Tell me do you suffer form dysfunctional vision, perhaps tunnel vision, because I swear that I see more golfer on TV playing golf than Tiger.

When he is great, let’s praise him - when he is out of order, come on, Man,
we should all make a clear statement that it is not acceptable. If for no better reason than he is a Professional and earns a fortune out of the public that watches him and I suppose one can say he disrespects by his actions.

If he can’t control himself, remembering he is a Professional, a bloody well paid Professional who should be able to control outbursts on a course. His failure to do so shows the underlying contempt he may have for others.
I feel he should be ‘Yellow Carded’ and ‘Red’ if he persists.   

Melvyn

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 08:25:43 AM »
melvyn,

I was just trying to infuse a bit of humour into the proceedings.  I agree that Tiger should comport himself like a gentleman and a role model,  but Golf is becoming a big time sport, mostly thanks to Tiger, and I think a bit too much is being made of his one achilles heel here in relation to what he's done for the game....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back