News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike H

Ohio Golf
« on: October 08, 2009, 05:51:29 PM »
What courses in Ohio deserve to be ranked on Golf Digest's best in state list?  I have heard a little about Sharon Golf Club and Pepper Pike but neither are on any list and both are hard to find information about?  What other Ohio courses are out there that no one hears about but are very very good?  If anyone has any pictures please post. 

Doug Ralston

Re: Ohio Golf
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 06:56:45 PM »
You asking public or private?

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Mike H

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
I initially meant private but I am interested in hearing on the public side too.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:07:52 AM »
Mike,

Do you have their best in state list availible to post?

I would think the following would or should be on the list:

Inverness GC Toledo, OH

The Golf Club New Albany, OH

Muirfield Village GC Columbus, OH

Brookside CC Canton, OH

Canterbury GC Beachwood, OH

The Country Club Cleveland, OH

Kirtland CC Willoughby, OH

Camarago Club, Cincinnati, OH

Mayfield CC Cleveland, OH

Public courses that should be considered:

Black Diamond GC, Millersburg, OH

The Quarry GC Canton, OH

Sleepy Hollow GC Cleveland, OH

Chris

David Whitmer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »
Regarding the list that Chris just posted, I'll add:

NCR South
Double Eagle GC
Moraine CC
Scioto CC
Columbus CC

One golf course that has shown up lately on the list of Ohio's best is TPC River's Bend. I totally disagree with its even being mentioned. I have played it enough to conclude there is absolutely nothing special about it. It's a nice golf course on a nice piece of property, but it is totally forgettable to me and, in my opinion, not worthy of being included with the others already listed.

Steve Kline

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »
TPC River's Bend is exactly like every other Arnold Palmer course I've played. There is nothing special about it. Hyde Park should be added to the list. Cincinnati Country Club is interesting for the green complexes - lots of cool places to put flags.

Mike H

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 06:01:55 PM »
David and Steve

So are you suggesting that Columbus CC, Moraine CC, Hyde Park CC and Cincinnati CC should all be in the top 25 in Ohio?  Which courses on the GD top 25 list would you take off to include these courses?

Steve Kline

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
Not necessarily suggesting that should be in the top 25 in Ohio. Hyde Park might be just outside that. Cincinnati CC definitely isn't but I found it fun to play because of the greens.

Brian Laurent

Re: Ohio Golf New
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
Regarding the list that Chris just posted, I'll add:

NCR South
Double Eagle GC
Moraine CC
Scioto CC
Columbus CC

One golf course that has shown up lately on the list of Ohio's best is TPC River's Bend. I totally disagree with its even being mentioned. I have played it enough to conclude there is absolutely nothing special about it. It's a nice golf course on a nice piece of property, but it is totally forgettable to me and, in my opinion, not worthy of being included with the others already listed.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:32:30 PM by Brian Laurent »
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 06:09:41 PM »
Brian,

Here are some pictures of Moraine I posted in May of 2008.  You can clearly see where a lot of the brush had been removed.  I don't know how much it has filled in since then, also don't know how much other work (if any) has been done.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34421.msg691576/

Brian Laurent

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 03:06:34 PM »
Brian,

Here are some pictures of Moraine I posted in May of 2008.  You can clearly see where a lot of the brush had been removed.  I don't know how much it has filled in since then, also don't know how much other work (if any) has been done.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34421.msg691576/

Thanks for the link...I actually took a tour of the course with the Super earlier this summer.  Was very impressed with the place.  They removed a bunch of trees and planted some native grasses, which when the colors pop on the grass and what trees remain probably looks spectacular in early fall. 
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back