News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Re: 1982 Pine Valley Golf Club History Book
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »
I have this and it's great. A great addition to a library.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
Wow, I have the James Finegan Pine Valley book and these pictures look a ton better.  Lots more on the early days of the course versus today.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »
I went to my library and got this book on interlibrary loan.  It is a really good read with excellent photos.

I recommend others to try interlibrary loan as it is much cheaper than 175 dollars.  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »
I went to my library and got this book on interlibrary loan.  It is a really good read with excellent photos.

I recommend others to try interlibrary loan as it is much cheaper than 175 dollars.  ;)

Interlibrary loan does work really well. 

Or just hit up David Stamm.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »

Interlibrary loan does work really well. 

Or just hit up David Stamm.

Ok, I'll try 'interstammbary' loan next time.  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:06:17 PM »
I just got the Doak's Mackenzie book, unfortunately via the standard capitalistic route...it too is fantastic.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 10:12:22 PM »
I have this book as I suspect many others around here do also.  I think $175.00 is a bit high.  We will see.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:18:36 PM »
I suppose this is the Warner Shelley PV history book, right? It must be as PV only has three history books----eg John Arthur Brown's, Warner Shelley's and the last, Jim Finegan's.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »
I suppose this is the Warner Shelley PV history book, right? It must be as PV only has three history books----eg John Arthur Brown's, Warner Shelley's and the last, Jim Finegan's.

It is Shelley's, Tom.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 10:54:36 PM »
DavidS:

I remember Warner Shelley very well. He was a delightful man, very courtlly and very much a PV fixture. He lived a long and productive life. However, let's just say when Warner wrote his PV history book, club history books were most definitely not under the same type of scrutiny of the accuracy of every little detail club and architectural history books are today! Let's just say that back in 1982 it seems there were not people out there, as there are today, who tried to make a reputation out of proving some minor detail of a club history book wrong! ;)

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 10:59:50 PM »
Tom, I find the stories that Shelley recounts of the scores that some members of the past made amazing. I know we've talked about this before, but it nevertheless astounds me. 15-20 strokes on single holes!

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »
speaking of rare books for the collector who has everything:

http://www.golfspast.com/page/E/PROD/BROP/ASB1078

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »
"Tom, I find the stories that Shelley recounts of the scores that some members of the past made amazing. I know we've talked about this before, but it nevertheless astounds me. 15-20 strokes on single holes!"

David:

Stories like that emanate from the numerous instances at PV that are generally called "The Pine Valley Others." There is a reason for that which is pretty unique to the way Pine Valley is (or was). The golfers, even the very good golfers, who had that kind of thing happen to them probably could have reduced the damage to some significant extent if they had only considered the use of the unplayable rule or at least considered that it is sometimes not a good idea in certain circumstances on that particular golf course to try to get too aggressive with recovery shots!  ;)

Some of the oddest and most unusual recovery shots I've ever seen in my life have happened at Pine Valley. I remember one in particular from my old friend John Ott where he thought about his situation for a minute or two in Hells Half Acre on #7 and then took out his putter and played his shot to another spot about three feet away and considered that recovery shot to have been a total success which in fact it was compared to some of the other things that might have happened to him if he tried to do more or something else!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:42:44 AM by TEPaul »

archie_struthers

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »

Good stuff guys, as to Mr Shelley , for years the front tees at the Valley were called the "Shelley tees"  an interesting sidebar to that is he often would beat many golfers on #5 with his patented strategy of three wood to the middle of the hill ....5, 6 or 7 iron to the front of the green  and two putts for a wind   .....John Ott later used a variation of this strategy to good effect !

TEPaul

Re: 1982 Pine Valley Golf Club History Book New
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
".....John Ott later used a variation of this strategy to good effect !"

ARCHIE:

That kind of interesting personal strategy brings something to mind for me. In all the many many rounds I played there with Mayor Ott over the years (generally in tournaments) every single time he did something on #7 that just kind of rubbed me the wrong way----not with him because he basically had to do it but with the hole. He always seemed to hit that fairway off the tee and then he would take out some wood and just roll it along the ground to the beginning of HHA and then go from there. I can't tell me how many times this thought occured to me-----"Damnit George Crump, couldn't you have given him at least some other option?"    ???

PS:
Do you realize Ott once made a hole in one on #5 and that in 1963 he was the medalist in qualifying in The Crump Cup? He was probably as proud of that as anything he ever did in golf. For that he was given a beautiful silver plate with his name on it and the 12th green somehow seared into it. It is downstairs on a coffee table in my office. I really miss that guy so much!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:07:34 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back