News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike H

New member from Dayton, OH
« on: October 03, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »
I would like to say hi to everyone on here.  I am a long time reader first time writer.  I am soon to be 29 and live in Dayton, OH.  I am a member at NCR Country Club in Kettering, OH and hold a 1.9 handicap there.  As a single guy I get to play about everyday weather permitting.  I enjoy reading everyones reviews of courses and have used this site quite often when looking for new courses to play.  I just got back from a two day trip to Inverness Club in Toledo and Indianwood(Old) just outside of detroit.  As far as Ohio goes I am still waiting for my invite to Scioto, The Golf Club and Double Eagle.  I look forward to being able to participate in the discussion group with all you other golf nuts.

PThomas

Re: New member from Dayton, OH
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 08:58:29 PM »
welcome Mike

i got to play your fine home course a few years ago

and Inverness and Indianwood are also quite nice!...Indianwood reminded me of SHinnecock...although i've only seen Shin. in pictures
198 played, only 2 to go!!

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 08:58:37 PM »
Welcome Matt,

I grew up in Cincinnati, lived in Dayton for a couple of years, played NCR South once, and can attest that one NEEDS a 1.9 handicap to play that course.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:27:20 PM by JLahrman »

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 09:14:08 PM »
 8) Two questions:

1) How do you rate The Pine Club?

2) How do you rate Skyline Chili?

Welcome..  :)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 09:17:58 PM »
I was going to play the South last Sunday....but the rain had pushed everything back two hours.....great course....

Steve,
The Pine Club.....as good as anywhere I know.... ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

C. Squier

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 09:18:07 PM »
Matt, welcome.....big fan of NCR South, the front is really, really good.  But you already know that!

Bruce Leland

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 09:32:58 PM »
Welcome Mike.  Say hello to Bucci from a friend of Jason's.  Great track, NCR, so I'm told.  you will spend WAAAAAYYYYY too many hours of your life here.  Good browsing....
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

noonan

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 09:50:42 PM »
I am a Dayton resident.

The south is awesome.

Will you be playing in the Urbana event on Monday?

Steve Kline

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 07:30:27 AM »
Welcome!

The South is a very good course. I played it a couple of times 20 years ago in the Optimist Jr. World qualifier. Then I got to play it the last day it was open before the Sr. US Open a few years ago. What a thrill to play and it was quite hard.

As a Cincinnatian, Skyline Chili is fantastic. Those that don't agree don't know what they are talking about!  ;)

Are you playing in the 2-man at NCR South in a couple of weeks? Also, Scioto has a big scratch invitational in the fall. You should try getting into that if you want to play Scioto.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »
Welcome to the board, Mike.  Played South last year with Booch's cousin...absolutely loved it.  What (if anything) is going to happen with the club now that NCR is moving to Atlanta? 

Always nice having another voice from Ohio.

Brian
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Mike H

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 07:42:20 PM »
Steve Lang
Unfortunately with the Pine Club I have never had a good meal there.  I have gone there twice and ordered the filet and it was so so, not up to the hype in my opinion.  Now Skyline on the other hand... its always good :) 

Jerry
No, I will not be playing in the event at Urbana on Monday, work gets in the way sometimes.   

Steve Kline
I am still unsure about the 2 man scratch Invitational.  My normal partner is unsure if he can play.  Is the 2 man at Scioto an open tournament or is a member guest? 

Brian Laurent
I gotta ask which cousin of Booch's you played with last year?  It wasnt Guy was it?  So far NCR CC is telling its membership that nothing is going to happen to the club.  Last week they told us they have had offers to sell the club but they said they are not listening.  It will be interesting to see what is going to happen if anything.  I hope they dont do anything to the North course as it is a nice change of pace and good course from the tips.

Steve Kline

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 07:51:50 PM »
I might be able to play in the two-man scratch with you. My handicap is 0.0 right now (has been as low as +4) and my last three rounds were 72, 69, 70. Send me a message if you are interested in playing together. It'd be an easy drive up each day from Cincy.

The Scioto tournament is a six man team event I think. I believe you sign up individually. It's an invitational but I bet if you ask around you could get an invite. I've been invited the last few years but haven't been able to make it. It's a little pricey when you factor in all the games/betting.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:57:28 PM by Steve Kline »

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 07:54:21 PM »
 8) Mike, you should have gone for the porterhouse..  ::)  

How many of the 88 counties in Ohio have you played in?  WHat are your personal rankings there so far?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Brian Laurent

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »
Brian Laurent
I gotta ask which cousin of Booch's you played with last year?  It wasnt Guy was it?  So far NCR CC is telling its membership that nothing is going to happen to the club.  Last week they told us they have had offers to sell the club but they said they are not listening.  It will be interesting to see what is going to happen if anything.  I hope they dont do anything to the North course as it is a nice change of pace and good course from the tips.

Not Guy...Jason. 

Glad to hear things are staying the same for now.  It'd be a shame to see changes at such a fantastic facility.  If you need a partner for the Scioto scratch, I'm in!
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 09:26:59 PM »
As a Cincinnatian, Skyline Chili is fantastic.

Unfortunately I've removed red meat and pork from my diet, and one of the things I do miss is Skyline.  The key is to explain to newbies that Skyline is not chili in the spicy Texas sense.  If that's what you're expecting you will think it is disgusting.  However, if one does not approach Skyline Chili thinking it will be chili, one will be pleasantly surprised.  It's delicious.

Mark Manuel

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »
Mike,

Welcome aboard.  I am a member at Piqua CC.  Did you play in the MVGA Inter Club at Sycamore?  I was curious if anyone else struggled as much there with those greens running about 3 on the stimp.

A few of our members are headed to Urbana today, but I am with you as work trumped golf.

Mark

PS The Pine Club seems to be a hit or miss for some folks.  It is always a hit with me, 15-20 times a year a highlight when Kathy and Karen actually started greeting by name as I walked in the door.  You know you have made it in Dayton when that happens.
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Mike H

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 01:24:01 PM »
Steve Kline
I really don't think you would want me as a partner in any event.  I have just came off the worst week of golf I have had in a long time!  Once  the jacket comes on my golf game goes down the toilet.  Where do you play most of your golf?

Steve Lang
I am not sure how many counties I have played in but I have played 13 of Ohio's top 25 according to GD.  I will be playing a couple more on the Ohio list next year.  For the ones I have played I would rank them in this order, Camargo, Muirfield Village, NCR South (maybe I am a little biased), Brookside Canton, Inverness, The Country Club, Canterbury, Sand Ridge, Avalon Lakes, Shaker Run, Longaberger, OSU Scarlet, Fowlers Mill.  Out of all them I was the most impressed with the Country Club and Brookside Canton.  Id say the most disapointing was Inverness and Canterbury. 

Mark Manuel
No I did not get to play in the Interclub this year.  I just joined NCR last year and still am trying to get my name out there.  I am hoping I get to play in that in the near future.  Piqua CC is a pretty fun course, I really enjoy the front 9 which I believe is a Ross.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »
Welcome Mike,

As an Ohio resident myself, anyone that gives props to Canton Brookside is OK in my book !   ;D

Steve Kline

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
Mike - I play most of my golf at Royal Oak CC and Ivy Hills CC. Neither are all that great but they are affordable. I tend to down play them but I'd be interested to see what some GCAer's think of Ivy Hills.

If you don't want to play in the 2-man no big deal. But, we could look at as just a fun reason for two GCAer's to get together.

Since you're new to GCA there has been off and on talk about a midwest GCA event like the Dixie or Buda Cup. What if we organized something in SW Ohio. I know I could get any number of people on Ivy Hills because they would want the money. We could also play Shaker Run. Do you think NCR would allow you to do something like that?

Mike H

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »
Jonathan Becker
To me Canton Brookside has some amazing greens.  From tee to green its a pretty good golf course but I cant say enough about the greens.  By far the most fun greens I have ever played on. 

Steve Kline
I have heard of Royal Oak, don't they hold an AM qualifier there from time to time?  I didn't say no about the 2 man scratch.  I am just warning you that my game has hit a wall in the last week.  I am not sure what the Dixie or Buda cup is but I am sure it would be a good possibility of getting some people out to NCR.  Any idea how many groups we would be talking?  NCR has had a ton of outings this year so it could be arranged.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »
Mike,

Did you play Brookside post restoration? (2004).... Just curious.

I'm biased about Brookside as you are with NCR.  I've said it on some other threads, but it's my sentimental favorite.  My dad was a member when i started golfing back in the early 90s (I'm 29 as well). 

Also, three times I was going to try to play NCR for Junior World, but that was always a vacation week for me.  A lot of my friends have played it and love it!  That's a great place to call your home course.   :)

Mike H

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »
Jonathan Becker
I played Brookside this year.  I heard they took out a lot of trees.  It was a very easy driving course, I didn't get in any trouble off the tee.  Its just the flat stick isn't the best club in my bag.  Do you still get out and play Brookside often?  Where do you play now and if you are ever in the Dayton area let me know and we can go play 18.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 04:28:24 PM »
Jonathan Becker
I played Brookside this year.  I heard they took out a lot of trees.  It was a very easy driving course, I didn't get in any trouble off the tee.  Its just the flat stick isn't the best club in my bag.  Do you still get out and play Brookside often?  Where do you play now and if you are ever in the Dayton area let me know and we can go play 18.

Mike,

Brookside took out over 600 trees in the restoration.  It's much more open than it used to be and the bunkers and greens were all restored to their original design.  Overall, it's much better imo. 

I lived in Chicago from 2004-2008 and didn't play much golf and didn't play Brookside at all during that span.  I've played it twice since I've moved back and only live 30 minutes from the first tee.  However, my dad dropped the membership years ago.

I play wherever and whenever I can now. A few of my friends are members at private clubs and I tag along with them frequently.  The last few weeks I've played Pete Dye, Canterbury, Firestone South, and OSU Scarlet.

Yes ! We should play sometime soon.  My current index is 0.7, so we could have a nice game.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »
Former Cincinnati resident here. Don't have much to add other than I could use some Skyline. Four-way with bean please. And maybe a cheese coney, no onions.

Oh, and NCR South is very solid.

Steve Kline

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 06:04:04 PM »
I'm surprised you've heard of Royal Oak. It's not held an Am qualifier. In the old days it used to be 18 at Camargo and 18 at Terrace Park in the same day. Now there are two separate qualifiers - one at Camargo and one at Coldstream.

Mike - do a search on the site for the Dixie or Buda Cups. I've never been but they sound like a ton of fun. I'll get in touch with you shortly in regards to the two-man and maybe setting up an outing in SW Ohio for next year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back