News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: Are your favorite courses......
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 11:17:50 AM »
I'm with Sean, Ed, et. al. in that I refuse to rank courses. A course is either on the list or not, the list being "Great Courses I've Played". There are particular favorites of mine among the Great Courses and particular favorites I have among the Nearly Great and the Not So Great as well.

Ocean Course (Kiawah)
Cypress Point Club
Royal St. Georges (haven't played there but I've seen enough to know its greatness)
Royal Dornoch

are all four certifiably among the top tier of courses in the world by most people's reckoning. I would rather play a round at Cypress Point than any of the others but that doesn't make it a better course. It's just that I enjoyed my day there more than I enjoyed my days at the others and have every reason to expect it would be fun no matter how many time I returned (not likely to happen BTW).

Someone mentioned Brora. It would be in my Nearly Great category and I know of many courses for which one could make an viable argument as being the same or better quality than Brora. I'm not sure there are any of those I'd rather play. Once again, I'd say each time I've played there it was as much fun and I've had anywhere and that enjoyment doesn't depend on it being a Great Course or being better/worse/same as, to pick one at random, Royal Birkdale. It's just a wonderful place for my game, my personality and has what I'm looking for in a game of golf in spades.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back