News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Just an observation....
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:50:33 AM »
In the Royal St. George's locker room there was a photograph of Joshua Crane but not Max Behr.

Mark Pearce

Re: Just an observation....
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »
A further observation.  In the locker room at RSG were brand spanking new lockers that wouldn't have looked out of place at the plushest new hotel/golf/resort development.  It might have been Celtic Manor, for all the ambiance that locker room had.  Extraordinarily functional though.  Perhaps Crane would have approved.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:07:03 AM »
Excellent point Mark.

For all the stunning greatness of the golf course, the experience of RSG was CCFAD in all but name.

Rich

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 10:25:13 AM »
I really miss Deal.  Its charming and genteel lack of pretension was everything I look for in golf.  It really couldn't have been much better.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »
How was the water pressure in the showers?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »
How was the water pressure in the showers?

Episodic as I recall.

DMoriarty

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »
In the Royal St. George's locker room there was a photograph of Joshua Crane but not Max Behr.

Maybe they keep the Joshua Crane in the locker room and the Max Behr out on the course?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
Rich -

Interesting. 

On a related note, a couple of weeks ago I found a drawing of Joshua Crane hanging in the East Lake clubhouse. It shows him bent over using his toothpick putter. It's a beautifully done caricature, probably from the late 20's. I almost fell down. 

Bob

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:42:33 PM »
Same photo that is at RSG, Bob!

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »
No, East Lake has a pen and ink drawing of Crane. They were done of him and several other prominent golfers of the era. They are all expertly done and very cool. They hang in an alcove on the way to the restrooms next to the Grill. I'll bet I've walked by them a dozen times before I noticed.

Next to those drawings is a large blank frame with a metal caption that reads: "Max Behr - Ineffable".  Which I thought was pretty cool too.

The lesson here is that you never know what you will find on your way to the bathroom. Or maybe it's always keep you head up on the way to the bathroom. Or something. ;)

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back