News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: BUDA 2010
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2009, 05:42:37 AM »
Yeah, I guess if Porthcawl was the first or last day, those travelling west from England are at least driving all the way west, then all the way back east, if you know what I mean (not driving Eng > Pennard > Porthcawl > Pennard >Eng).

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
The only thing that slows me up with a Pennard-based Buda is the distance between Pennard and Porthcawl. Or is the idea to play all three days at Pennard?

For the time and financial investment, I'm not sure I'd be into playing all three days on the same course.

Ashburnham looks alright, though it is - according to Google Maps - just as long a drive from Pennard as Porthcawl is.

P+K hasn't really stood out as one I want to see since David Worley described it in Journey Through The Links as "the most disappointing of the 97 courses I played on that trip".

Scott

You have a point.  My goal would be to try and get Porthcawl on a Friday and Pennard for the weekend - its a long shot and I fear that for this lot of 36 holers each day getting an entire weekend (Friday - Sunday) will be nigh on impossible.  It is much more likely that I can come up with Pennard Saturday afternoon (which does allow guys to trave in from their side games), Pennard Sunday and Porthcawl Monday.  Though I would prefer Southerndown, I don't much see how Porthcawl can't be combined with this trip as so many like/want to see it. 

Ciao 

Sean

I appreciate it's very early days but have you any particular weekend in mind?  September is generally a busy month but I'm keen to attend if at all possible, hence I'd like to try and get something in the diary asap.

I note from Pennard's calendar for September this year the second week was an open week with competitions each day and there is a competition each Saturday, which would seem to rule out the prospect of playing 36 holes there on a Saturday.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Sean_A

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »
Andrew

I can't get 36 at Pennard on Saturday no matter which week it is.  I am looking more at 18 Sat afternoon & 36 Sun plus 36 at Porthcawl either Friday or Monday.  We may need to be creative.  For instance, it may mean 4somes in the AM and betterball in the PM.  I am looking at Sept 11-12, 18-19 & 25-26 with the last date being the most desirable for those who may want to plan to see the Ryder Cup the following week.  I am also looking at May 15-16.  However, the availability of Porthcawl is a big issue.  I will post a rough idea of an itinerary when I get it figured out.  Then you lot can compare with other ideas and make a decision.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2009, 10:02:09 AM »
Sean

Thanks for that.  Your taking up of the BUDA torch is greatly appreciated.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2009, 12:18:33 PM »
Ulrich,  That last part isn't true.  Tony Muldoon, Craig Disher, Mike Whitaker and I also went back out after lunch and played another 18.  It was quite dark going down 18, I will admit.  Also, if the foursome round is one of two afternoons played at the main host course, you get an opportunity to take those tee shot photos.  Anyway, BUDA is about the cameraderie and the golf, photos are a (valuable) add on.

Bill,

I think a Pinehurst is a further variant of a Greensome, at least at Elie.  There a Pinehurst has both players in a pair play a tee shot.  Each then plays a second shot with their partner's ball.  They then elect between the two balls and play alternate shot with the player who hit the tee shot with the selected ball playing the third shot.

I think Greensomes is my second least favourite golfing format, after Texas Scramble.

I saw a tournament that used greensomes this year for part of a week-end long team event.  People liked it...it wasn't as hard as true foursomes, and it avoids the dicey drop issues of Scramble.  It was the South African kid who taught me the word "greensomes."
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

John Mayhugh

« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »
Well, it seems as if Benelux did not gain much traction as site of Buda 2010.  So much for the opportunity to mix decriminalized drugs & working girls with great golf.  Maybe 2011.

I prefer September to May and love the idea of Pennard.  Great piece on Tom Dunne's blog.
http://out-and-back.net/?p=1315

Rich Goodale

« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »
Good stuff, Sean.  I think focusing on September in Wales, particularly if it can be linked into the Ryder cup, would be ideal.  Also, if you want Ran to attend, May would probably be out due to his gig at Bandon.

As for Dornoch (and me) I can see attending a September Wales thingy in a state of blissful irresponsibility.  From this year's experience at Deal/Sandwich I value other people doing all the heavy lifting whilst all I had to do was write a check, meet people, play golf, drink cider and blether.  I'd love to do that at Pennard.

That being said, I am also keen on being a part of a extra-BUDA gathering in Dornoch sometime in mid-late May.  My current vision is to try to secure 6 4-ball tee times for 3 days (24/day) on the Championship Course, and then offer participants choices as what to do with the rest of the day, including golf at places like Brora, Golspie, Tain and the Struie; travel; or even a second round at Dornoch (Championship).  Avant- and apres- extra-BUDA visitations could be made to a number of other venues from Castle STuart to Durness.  I also see this outing as being potential co-ed, partly (mostly?) because I might not be able to get out of the house otherwise.

(Earth to Mark Pearce!) I might even do it on mid-term (weekend of May 28) to make it more of a family event (there will be at least two GCA youngish families in Dornoch at that time).

A few strong positives for this meeting:

--GCAers/Dornoch members David Tepper, Stan Dodd, Mike Leveille and myself will be in residence and can help in the organisation
--Robin Hiseman, architect of the Struie renovation might attend, assuming he gets back from LI safe and sond
--Late May in Dornoch is SPECTACULAR visually and in terms of daylight available
--The town is compact enough, and the club will be unbusy enough, that camaraderie should flourish

I see this event as robust.  It could work with only 8 people or with 40.  It will not be as time-pressured as most BUDAs are given their need to get 24 paired golfers out AM and PM, for the 1st two days.  It can (and probably will) be done in concert with a September Wales BUDA-proper.

I have no dates set, and haven't even called RDGC (I follow the axiom that there are 17 words in the Gaelic for "tomorrow," none of which conveys the sense of urgency of "manana"), but I will soon.  Any dates that others who might be ingtrested would find most convenient?

Cheers to all in the Spirit of BUDA

Rich

John Mayhugh

« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2009, 12:41:33 PM »
Damn, Goodale don't do this to someone as weak as me. 

Dornoch is one of the greatest places on earth.  The event you're talking about sounds wonderful.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2009, 12:57:47 PM »
John

A man of your means and wiles could surely arrange to attend both extra-BUDA and BUDA, probably arranging to stay in Dornoch like everybody else this summer in between!  You only go around once in life, Buckaroo........

Rich

Sean_A

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2009, 12:58:01 PM »
Good stuff, Sean.  I think focusing on September in Wales, particularly if it can be linked into the Ryder cup, would be ideal.  Also, if you want Ran to attend, May would probably be out due to his gig at Bandon.

As for Dornoch (and me) I can see attending a September Wales thingy in a state of blissful irresponsibility.  From this year's experience at Deal/Sandwich I value other people doing all the heavy lifting whilst all I had to do was write a check, meet people, play golf, drink cider and blether.  I'd love to do that at Pennard.

That being said, I am also keen on being a part of a extra-BUDA gathering in Dornoch sometime in mid-late May.  My current vision is to try to secure 6 4-ball tee times for 3 days (24/day) on the Championship Course, and then offer participants choices as what to do with the rest of the day, including golf at places like Brora, Golspie, Tain and the Struie; travel; or even a second round at Dornoch (Championship).  Avant- and apres- extra-BUDA visitations could be made to a number of other venues from Castle STuart to Durness.  I also see this outing as being potential co-ed, partly (mostly?) because I might not be able to get out of the house otherwise.

(Earth to Mark Pearce!) I might even do it on mid-term (weekend of May 28) to make it more of a family event (there will be at least two GCA youngish families in Dornoch at that time).

--GCAers/Dornoch members David Tepper, Stan Dodd, Mike Leveille and myself will be in residence and can help in the organisation
--Robin Hiseman, architect of the Struie renovation might attend, assuming he gets back from LI safe and sond
--Late May in Dornoch is SPECTACULAR visually and in terms of daylight available
--The town is compact enough, and the club will be unbusy enough, that camaraderie should flourish

I see this event as robust.  It could work with only 8 people or with 40.  It will not be as time-pressured as most BUDAs are given their need to get 24 paired golfers out AM and PM, for the 1st two days.  It can (and probably will) be done in concert with a September Wales BUDA-proper.

I have no dates set, and haven't even called RDGC (I follow the axiom that there are 17 words in the Gaelic for "tomorrow," none of which conveys the sense of urgency of "manana"), but I will soon.  Any dates that others who might be ingtrested would find most convenient?

Rich

Hmmm, Rihc.  I guess I didn't pay attention to your earlier posts.  I am not terribly interested in investing a lot of time and effort in putting something together only to have a large competing event on the calender.  Its not as if I get my yas yas off by organizing this stuff.  If you are keen, why don't you organize the Buda at Dornoch in May?  I spose I am in the camp of those that believe as things stand now, there aren't enough foreign touristas to support two major deals in the UK.    

Ciao

Confused in Worcestershire
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »
Pay closer attention, Grasshopper!  I've taken Dornoch off the table for BUDA VIII,  but want to do something almost completely different for May.  Nobody is "competing," as the time frames are different and the pool of potential players is 1500 plus all of our extended circles of friends in the UK and elsewhere.  I'm sure you can get a full BUDA quorum at Pennard, including me.

Arrive Derci

Ricardo

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »
I will happily attend both the Buda in September and the non-Buda in May.

My life would be so boring without you guys!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Stan Dodd

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »
I'm in agreement with Michael.  Would love to go to Wales in
Sept.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »
Now I'm confused.  Most likely I will only be able do one and currently have to make a choice between the title of this thread -practicalities of which are very much still to be decided - or a really attractive event in which only the exact date needs to be confirmed.  The only winners here are those who can commit to both at this stage.  I also believe that for the vast majority it will be a choice of which to attend.

Rich I think just this once, your timing is off.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:11:46 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Walter Bart

« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2009, 10:19:31 PM »
 Rich

You mentioned the possibilty of the 28th of May  weekend at Dornoch.  You might check on the timimg of the  Captain's Member- Guest weekend which was held around the 23rd this year.  Could be a conflict in 2010.

Would 24 spaces be enough for all who seemed interested, or is that the traditional  Buda number? 

I would have a definite interest in playing in late May if space allowed..

Mark Pearce

« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2009, 03:30:08 AM »
Two great events but, like Tony, I suspect I'll be forced to choose one or the other.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2009, 05:02:46 AM »

Rich

Rich
That sounds fantastic - count me in!

Sean
I'm still very interested in a Welsh BUDA in September, assuming the dates fit for me.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »
Now I'm confused.  Most likely I will only be able do one and currently have to make a choice between the title of this thread -practicalities of which are very much still to be decided - or a really attractive event in which only the exact date needs to be confirmed.  The only winners here are those who can commit to both at this stage.  I also believe that for the vast majority it will be a choice of which to attend.

Rich I think just this once, your timing is off.

Thanks for the thoughts, Tony, but regardless of what happens I think that anybody who can attend either possible event will be a "winner."  And, as far as I know nobody has to make any choices until either or both events are finalised, which will probably be months away.  I personally think there is room for more than one BUDA-style event, even if they were held simultaneously.  As for "timing," right now there are three possible events scheduled for May:  Ran's offical event at Bandon; the King's Putter; and a BUDA or quasi-BUDA event.  I personally would like to attend all three, if the money and time were infinite, but they are not and I cannot.

In any case, choice is good.  If not, why would the Great Leader have said "Let a Thousand Flowers Bloom!"

Rich

Rich Goodale

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2009, 08:11:08 AM »
May I please add a PS, with some new thoughts and new information:

1.  Vis a vis the latter, I have called Dornoch and they can't give out any guarantees or guaranteetimes until next year's fixture list is settled.  This will be in November, so let's all hold our horses for a while on this alternative.  That  being said, it is likely that next years fixture list will be very similar to last years, which means (as Walter Bart has pointed out) that the May 21-23 slot is probably not possible  (viz, 2009 list for comparison--http://www.royaldornoch.com/modify/Fixture%20list%202009.pdf).  As a result, my thoughts are turning to a 16-18 May or sometime in the 24-29 May period, so if ther are preferences, let me know.

2.  Vis a vis availability, choices, conflicts etc., my view is and always has been that BUDA or BUDA-like or Barona-in-Dornoch or whatever-you-call-it events should be open to everybody, and if some bodies of that everybody can't make one or the other, it's a shame, but as the Brooklyn Dodgers used to say, "Wait until next year!"  I've looked at my records of BUDA, and the recidivism rate of attendees on a year to year basis averages well below 50%.  The inverse of that fact is that less than half of BUDAites repeat each year, and the serial threepeaters can be counted on one or two hands. The event thrives on newbies, in fact without newbies it would eventually expire!  From what I read on the various BUDA VII threads there are a LOT of members of gca.com who would love to come to a BUDA or any such similar event, but somehow feel that it is a privilege rather than a right.  We all know that BUDA is and always has been, FIRST COME FIRST SERVED!  The more this fact is expressed the lesser one will have to worry about "filling" an event.  And, even if numbers are down, we all know that at the smaller, more intimate events, closer friendships can evolve.  I do not think it is for nothing that at the smallest BUDA, the strongest Club-BUDA linkages were developed and have been maintained.

Cheers

Rich

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
Bump.

Has this been organised yet? If so, Where is it on and when?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2010, 08:40:06 PM »
tom,
try this thread. it is at Pennard

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41794.0/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back